PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 14 Results and Feedback ...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Anke Drewitz
07-15-2008, 08:33 AM
two more cards arrived, Rlibersky's azo paper print (I love these old papers) and Rob Skeoch's waterfall; I would like to see that waterfall at a minimum 1m-print ;) thank you both

11 July 2008
...the first salt print...
Did you tone this to give the brown color, or is this characteristic of the process you use?

Darwin, these cards were not toned, I made some trials with Nelson's gold toner, but the result was not convincing me, so there is the pure silver image at the cards. But no card was as the other, every card was a surprise, tones from very dark brown to a light yellowish brown came out and a lot of them failed from to much emulsion. As I wrote earlier, I learned a lot doing this process :D

Anke

Simon R Galley
07-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Dear All,

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks very much for including me in the postcard exchange...I love to see
my in tray in the morning ! Not many people can say that I suppose?

Too many great images to mention... I put them up in the lobby by reception so our staff and visitors get to see them.

Thanks to you all

Simon : ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

david b
07-15-2008, 11:47 AM
what?
Simon was not on my list.

Peter Schrager
07-15-2008, 12:09 PM
just wanted to thank everyone for the nice comments....no that wasn't exactly my accommodations!! I've been away from my mailing address for awhile now so will have to make my comments later..but sure all the cards are great
Best, Peter

crispinuk
07-15-2008, 04:07 PM
I've recieved a little over 20 cards now and would like to thank all those who have sent me a card. Having printed 25 cards at the weekend I am now well aware of the effort you have all put into producing them. I'll get the rest printed this week or the coming weekend at the latest.

All the cards I've recieved are great. A couple of personal favourites are rwyoung's Hobo Duckies, I've been a fan of your pinhole ducks and other toys in the gallery so it's great to get an 'original'. PVia's Contrabassist is such a wonderfully relaxing image, I've no idea why. And Anke Drewitz's 'Lime Blossom' salt print is a fantastic piece of art and a fascinating process.

So thanks again to everyone.

Crispin

Buster6X6
07-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Post cards come in bunches, every couple of days. Nice.
Two more to report.
Black Dog with a German bunker in Normandy. Well balanced print. Nice tonality. Would have been nice to know what materials did you use to create it.
erikg What a nasty flat. And how appropriate, and of the road with Hillary :p. Cute.

Greg

johnnywalker
07-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Two more received today, for a total of 13: Erik's car (never got the significance of Hillary - that's funny) and Rob Skeoch's waterfall. Erik's has a large stamp on it saying, "POSTCARD - do not attempt to open". Did Erik put that there or did the Post Office? Has anyone ever attempted to open a postcard? Struck me as funny in any case.

MattKing
07-16-2008, 12:47 AM
I’ve received 8 cards so far, and every one is very interesting, and greatly appreciated.

They include:

david b - his flea market icons - an intriguing set of images - very nicely printed - a square format image that isn’t compromised to fit

Mark Fisher - a square image, on a square card - what a great idea - very nice textures, although I’m afraid the post office decided to add its own white gouge as well

Buster6x6 - another square image (I sense a theme) - these tools just seem to want to leap off the surface of the print

rst - I’m really lucky, because this is the third image I’ve received this month from Rüdiger, because he is in my group in the Group Print Exchange. This shot of bicycles in Paris looks like I imagine Paris to be (I’ve never been there), although one could imagine that this shot was taken early in the last century, rather than early in this century. The print is wonderfully atmospheric

sly - a beautiful print entitled “Snow Drops” - almost a contact print I would say - it glows! (I too like the Karsh stamp)

wazza - an interesting almost abstract image that has fascinating curves and shapes and tones. If I didn’t see the title “Big Top”, I probably wouldn’t have figured it out. This is another square format image - the trend continues

mooseontheloose - an almost haunted looking Irish scene where the rocks glow. What a nice use of HIE, and a great print too

drpsilver - a wonderfully moody still life with muted tones, and a texture that almost yells “old”. And another square format!

These are all great - now I’ve got to get mine done.

Do you think I should print something square :D?

Matt

rst
07-16-2008, 05:10 AM
In the meantime I received five more cards. Thanks to Erik for "End of the road..." I like it, it is kind of funny. Also funny is the postcard stamp you put on the back. Then I got a waterfall from Rob. Very nice but somehow Canada post decided to stamp it on the front instead of the back. Maybe they wanted to spare Sir Winston Churchill. And I got another "There is only the drama of the objects and you, watching" card from Jake. Hey, I like it a lot and it is very well printed. Wow, then there is Terrys full of details haystacker card. Very nice. And Ritchie sent Baboons for the kids. Well done.

The more cards arrive the more this turns out to be the best round I ever participated in. I received 23 cards so far, so there are still 27 to come.

Thanks to all of you
-- Ruediger

rst
07-16-2008, 05:25 AM
Well, at least you are still lucky, ask Mike who was now for the second time my Group Print Exchange mate and we also shared the same group in the Lith Print Exchange. He must be really bored of me. ;) And thank you for the kind comments on my card. I think this is a woderfully atmospheric place. At least in the early morning.

ciao
-- Ruediger

... rst - I’m really lucky, because this is the third image I’ve received this month from Rüdiger, because he is in my group in the Group Print Exchange. This shot of bicycles in Paris looks like I imagine Paris to be (I’ve never been there), although one could imagine that this shot was taken early in the last century, rather than early in this century. The print is wonderfully atmospheric ...

mooseontheloose
07-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Twenty down...28 more to go!

More great cards arrived in the mail this week:

PVia's contrabassist -- I love the movement you've captured and the somewhat eerie mood of an arm 'floating' in mid-air

Wonderful capture of the two baboons by Ritchie Thomson

I also like the nostalgic feeling of Terry Strong's haystacker -- I've never seen anything quite like it, and I'm a country girl myself

Beautful bleeding hearts by Randy -- a nice complement to sly's snow drops

Rob -- I wish we had waterfalls like this around here -- beautiful work

Anke --I really like your card and I think may be my favorite so far. The subject, the process, the paper -- fantastic. I've been hesitating to try alt processes so far but this is really inspiring me to just do it!

And today I just picked up Erik's 'end of the road' -- quite funny with the capture, and the "Postcard: Do not attempt to open" stamp on the back made me laugh at the utter absurdity of it all.

Akki14
07-17-2008, 07:01 AM
Okay I think I gathered up all my recieved postcards since I last posted.
Blackdog - Interesting image, quite similar to Anke's composition. I got a little confused as to which way was up on it!
Buster6x6 - When my husband saw this picture he said ahha that's where our tools have gone! :D Needed some of those for turning up my secondhand bike. Beautiful image.
Anke - Ah so this is what a salt print looks like. I was worried when it arrived, it was curled up slightly from its journey but since it was also a rainy day, I just stuck it in my flatbed scanner for a day or two and now it's perfect again. I like the depth of the image, you must have a very nice lens to go on your plate camera.
Peter Schrager - Interesting contrast of falling down building and tropical plant life.
erikg -Aw poor car and poor Hillary ;)
Rob Skeoch - I love wispy waterfalls, I wish I could find some to take pictures of here.
crispinuk - I like all the entangled alive trees. Thank you :)

Rob Skeoch
07-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Kate, I'm glad you appreciated the stamp of Karsh.... I had to go to three stores to find enough Karsh stamps to go around.

I don't think I sent one to Simon..... does someone have the address to mail to him?

-rob

kraker
07-18-2008, 07:26 PM
I don't think I sent one to Simon..... does someone have the address to mail to him?

Rob,

Addresses of Sean, Simon and Mary Jane are in this post (http://www.apug.org/forums/583498-post5.html) of round 13.
I would say the same applies as mentioned there by Art: "as a suggestion only".

While I'm posting here, I might as well post an update:
I received your card, Rob, a beautiful photo of a waterfall. (I also noticed our Canadian participants have stamps that are as much a work of art as the postcards themselves, with a great portrait of Churchill: wow!)
Also received a card from Mick Fagan of his latest construction project(?) :p. Nice shot, and/but quite different from round #13 ;).

I've put around 20 of my cards in the mail today, I hope to address and post the remaining 10 this weekend.

KPT
07-19-2008, 10:23 AM
I was thinking of joining the next round but i cant seem to find the postcard paper. I searched postcard, post, card and post card at suppliers sites and nothing comes up. Does anyone have a direct link to the paper? Also, Do we address then with a simple greeting? Do we include apt, shutter and film used? Sorry for these anoying questions but i realy like this postcard exchange and want to join the next round.

BWKate
07-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Ilford makes a great postcard paper. It comes in 100 sheet packages in both glossy and pearl. I prefer the pearl surface as it seems to take more abuse from the postal system. Everyone has their preferences. Ilford's paper is called "Ilford MGIV RC Portfolio" Cat 185 6084. You can get it from Ilford or from a place that carries Ilford products.
Usually when it's time for the next round there is a sign up thread that is up for a month. You can sign up for different amounts like 30 cards which is what I usually sign up for. Some people go for the maximum which can end up being 50 postcards depending on how many people sign up. Too rich for my blood.
Some people just have the basic info on their cards, some people like me like to write a personal greeting on each and every card. It's up to you what you want to do. Usually the basic stuff is on it like type of camera, film, lens, and where you took the image.
Hopefully that will answer your questions and don't worry your questions are understandable if you haven't participated in an postcard exchanges. I've been in 8!

KPT
07-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Ilford makes a great postcard paper. It comes in 100 sheet packages in both glossy and pearl. I prefer the pearl surface as it seems to take more abuse from the postal system. Everyone has their preferences. Ilford's paper is called "Ilford MGIV RC Portfolio" Cat 185 6084. You can get it from Ilford or from a place that carries Ilford products.
Usually when it's time for the next round there is a sign up thread that is up for a month. You can sign up for different amounts like 30 cards which is what I usually sign up for. Some people go for the maximum which can end up being 50 postcards depending on how many people sign up. Too rich for my blood.
Some people just have the basic info on their cards, some people like me like to write a personal greeting on each and every card. It's up to you what you want to do. Usually the basic stuff is on it like type of camera, film, lens, and where you took the image.
Hopefully that will answer your questions and don't worry your questions are understandable if you haven't participated in an postcard exchanges. I've been in 8!

BWKate

Thank you very much for responding with answers to all of my questions!! I will order some paper today and start shooting, hopefully i will get an interesting shot that i can send to everyone. thank you again for your help!!

BWKate
07-19-2008, 10:59 AM
My pleasure! I am warning you though, once you start participating in the postcard exchanges you will become addicted!

david b
07-19-2008, 11:15 AM
It is addictive. This was my first round and I really enjoyed it. I made extra post cards to send to galleries.

One bit of advice:
print a negative that needs to dodging or burning.
Make your life really simple.

One more thing.
I am using an Itoya 5x7 archival portfolio to store the postcards. I think it holds 48. Costs about $7.

KPT
07-19-2008, 11:35 AM
BWKate, David B,

Its to late for me, Im already addicted! Im searching through my fridge to see what film i have and im stomping my feet because of the cloudy and rainy day we are having here in Chicago. I guess i will be in rehab before the next round starts.