PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 14 Results and Feedback ...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

rst
07-19-2008, 12:04 PM
And the sign up for the next round will start on September 1st.

ciao
-- Ruediger

BWKate, David B,

Its to late for me, Im already addicted! Im searching through my fridge to see what film i have and im stomping my feet because of the cloudy and rainy day we are having here in Chicago. I guess i will be in rehab before the next round starts.

Tim Gray
07-19-2008, 05:41 PM
I printed up 56 cards today (hope thats enough for my list!). I'll drop them in the mail on Monday. I ran out of Ilford pearl postcards about 35 in, so the rest are in glossy. I have to say that I think I finally made up my mind about preferring pearl more. Though the photos I printed on Iilford satin finish paper... mmm.

I'm also going to try *really* hard to comment on the cards I've already gotten.

Jon King
07-19-2008, 09:29 PM
I finished printing mine today. I ended up printing in two sessions - for the second session I had a helper, my 9 year old son :) He ran the timer, changing the exposures for the yellow and magenta filters (split grade printing) as well as handling the prints through the stop bath and fixer. We've made a few prints before, but this was the first time he ever seriously helped in the dark room - 30 or so postcards tonight - talk about jumping straight into the deep end! I made a print with just the yellow filter and just the magenta filter to show him what each exposure did for the photo.

OK.. the happy/proud Dad moment over. My cards are done, and half addressed - they should be off on Monday. I fell far behind commenting on cards this round. I really enjoy seeing what other's reactions are to my prints, so I try to return the favor - I'll do better next round!

Jon (The Jon King who hasn't sent his cards out yet this round)

Rob Skeoch
07-20-2008, 03:29 PM
I think the Canadian Post office printed the Karsh stamps just for this round of the post card exchange. LOL
-Rob

Tim Gray
07-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Ooo, here's my feedback from round 14 so far.

Rob Skeoch - Great capture of the falls!

Cara Foster - Wonderful introduction to the exchange - what toning/developer did you use here?

PVia - Cool lowlight capture - I hope you were on a tripod for that shutter speed!

David Bram - awesome!

Mick Fagan - great clarity on the "Bathroom" picture.

Rachelle - Incredible! It's great to see HIE put to good use.

Black Dog - I really like the interplay of light and shadow on this one, especially with the tree in the background and the sun on the field.

Ritchie Thomson - great texture on the baboon's fur.

Darwin - I really like the cord hanging to the left of the cabinet.

Johnny Walker - nice shot of the boatbuilder

Adrian - great angle!

Warren Hinder - cool abstract of the tent

Heather Sullivan - I love the squid and the printing!

Lillian - wonderful photo and wonderful print. I really like this one.

Jon King - nice picture of the stones. Great textures.

Mark Fisher - Wow. I think I might frame this. Though my card does have a finger print on the edge :)

Ruediger - great detail in the bikes!

Mike Wilde - great picture, great story, great paper - it all works really well!

Buster6x6 - makes me want to get a Hasselblad!

Peter S. - interesting shot of the shacks.

Terry Strong - Cool shot of the haystacker and shack. Never seen one before.

rwyoung - I love hobo duckies

Randy Libersky - wonderful shot and print of the flowers - its a treat to see a nice print on old Azo.

Auke Drewitz - Also one of my favorites - I've never seen a salt print before! Nice Bleeding Heart stamp too - goes well with Randy's print.

Eric Mah - I love the fog and the dog!

ozphoto
07-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Finally printed and labeled my postcards yesterday! 30 more on their way to all of you on my list. The ones I have received so far have been wonderful - hope mine live up to the quality of these.

Looking forward to the next round. :-)

- Nanette

MattKing
07-21-2008, 02:26 AM
I've a question for participants in this and other exchanges.

Usually, when I comment on any of the prints I receive I refer to people by their APUG name, in case they prefer that their real name isn't used on the web.

I know that in many cases people on APUG disclose their actual names, either in posts, or by links to websites, but not everyone does so.

Am I being too careful? If I know someone's actual name because I received their name and address as part of the exchange, should I be using it in my comments?

Just wondering.

Matt

P.S. I finished printing today - just need to do all the rest to get them out!

bdial
07-21-2008, 06:02 AM
My cards went into the post this weekend, if any don't make it, please let me know.

Tim Gray
07-21-2008, 07:39 AM
Cards went out today!

kraker
07-21-2008, 10:37 AM
My last set of cards went out today. Together with the batch I sent just before the weekend, they should all arrive within... within... well, anything between a few days and two weeks, depending on the willingness of all postal services inbetween. Let me know if you have or haven't received it. I have printed a few extra, just in case...

crispinuk
07-21-2008, 11:59 AM
I've a question for participants in this and other exchanges.

Usually, when I comment on any of the prints I receive I refer to people by their APUG name, in case they prefer that their real name isn't used on the web.

I know that in many cases people on APUG disclose their actual names, either in posts, or by links to websites, but not everyone does so.

Am I being too careful? If I know someone's actual name because I received their name and address as part of the exchange, should I be using it in my comments?

Just wondering.

Matt

P.S. I finished printing today - just need to do all the rest to get them out!

I prefer seeing APUG names used as it makes it easier to keep track of who's who. I recognise most of the APUG names from postings they've made, real names aren't always an obvious match.

Cheers
Crispin(uk)

BWKate
07-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Received crispinuk and Black Dog's postcards today! Awesome cards gentlemen.
The tones in both images were full of wonderful detail and texture. I especially like the title of Black Dog's series, "The Secret Life of Shadows" as it is close to a name I chose for my still life series called, "The Secret Life of Still". My cards are all printed and I begin the long task of writing on all of them. Will post when they are mailed.

rst
07-22-2008, 01:09 AM
... - for the second session I had a helper, my 9 year old son :) ...
Funny, my now 10 years old daughter decided that she gets not enough mail and to solve that "problem" she wants to participate in the postcard exchange on her own. So next time I will have two postcard sessions, one for my cards and one as my daughters assistant for her cards. She already knows which image to send, all she has to do is to make the shot.

And I received a few more postcards. First Mick showed me how bathrooms are built in Australia. What a nice idea. Then Mike sent me a clematis. Whew, have you ever tried to lith print this? And then Jacco sent grains and pebbles. I like this kind of stills. So this round keeps being a good one. Great.

ciao
-- Ruediger

johnnywalker
07-22-2008, 01:54 AM
I received Mick's semi-outdoor privy today as well. Interesting construction project, and a well-balanced photo with good tones. Also received Black Dog's Secret Life of Objects, a very nice study, also tonally excellent. Still trying to figure out what the object is - tongs? on an old mantlepiece?

Tim Gray
07-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Got BDial's card today. Very nice print of the railing!

drpsilver
07-23-2008, 02:12 AM
22 July 2008

Received three cards so far this week. A photography of a novel bathroom design form Mick Fagan. Must have been and interesting project to build. (Wonder what the inside looks like.) BDial's card is nicely printed. The composition keep the viewer finding new things within the image. The card from kraker is simple and elegant. Reminds me of an Andy Goldworthy sculpture.

Thanks to all.

Regards,
Darwin

PVia
07-23-2008, 02:31 AM
BDial's Beacon Hill - Railing came yesterday. I wonder what it looked like before the crop?

Crispinuk's "Path" - nice tones in that Delta 100

rst's Paris bicycles is very rich. I like the foreground darkness, but the tones are separated very nicely. I keep coming back to this one.

Buster 6x6's "Tools" - nice clean print with great highlights.

LSly's "SnowDrops" - great still life and wonderful print.

Peter Schrager's "Bahamas" makes me wonder what's inside ;-)

Mark Fisher's "Door and Hinge" has great textures and nice toning. I've been meaning to try thio-toning.

Black Dog's portrait is sweet and also makes me wonder about the position of the subject and the photographer.

Rob Skeoch has a nice print of the waterfalls with beautiful detail and print quality.

Mick Fagan's "Water Tank Privy" is hmmm...interesting...

Anke's salt print is amazing...and even more amazing that an alt-contact print was sent out. Thanks for this beautiful piece and all your hard work!

erikg's "End of the Road" is one of those moments you're happy to see and connect with.

Randy Libersky's "Bleeding Hearts" is beautiful and mysterious...and the fact that's it's on Azo has me jazzed!

That's it for now...thanks for all your comments on my "Contrabassist"!

I've been experimenting with an old box of Kodabromide postcard paper. If I find the right image for it, maybe I'll use it for the next exchange...

kraker
07-23-2008, 02:48 AM
The card from kraker is simple and elegant. Reminds me of an Andy Goldworthy sculpture.

Woohoo, the first confirmed delivery, 4 nights to travel across the globe; not bad!

Mick Fagan
07-23-2008, 03:26 AM
I think I had better make something a bit clearer to the people who reside in the North American Continent.

My picture is of a bathroom, not a toilet.

If it was a toilet, it would be quite a large one. One that you could swing a cat around in, as we are wont to say.

Maybe I'll print a dunny (toilet) for the next round!

I've seen and used a few humdingers over the years. The best ones don't have doors, they are usually the ones that can claim, quite rightly, that they are, "A Room With a View".

I have this book, which is illuminating, interesting and a good pictorial read. I have visited a few of the dunnies in this book over the last 21 years I have owned it, to both photograph and use them.

http://www.oztion.com.au/buy/auction.aspx?itemid=1562574

Mick.

mooseontheloose
07-23-2008, 10:33 AM
This past week has been a bit of dry-spell for me but I finally received two new postcards -- Mick Fagan's bathroom and Peter Schrager's Bahamas. They make an interesting contrast having received them together -- from the smooth look of corrugated metal and concrete blocks to the utter chaos of the building in ruins among all the vegetation. Good work!