PDA

View Full Version : So, how did you do?--Blow your own horn!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

CorreCaminos
08-20-2008, 02:48 PM
I had a show in San Miguel de Allende this summer and the director of the Queretaro's Museum of Art saw the expo and contact me to give me date next year, in the summer too.

Jose,

I saw your exhibition at Bellas Artes a couple weeks ago, muy interesante. Congrats on Queretaro's interest.

Andrew Moxom
08-20-2008, 02:49 PM
I managed to get one print exhibited at the Minnesota State Fair this year. 1972 people tried to get various forms of artwork displayed, and only 300 or so were successful. Prior to that I had a coffee shop show that only resulted in moving 2 prints, and led to another sale of one print not in the show. Oh well.

SuzanneR
08-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Congratulations Suzanne, I need to go to NY but haven't decided the date, hope that I can catch your show.

I had a show in San Miguel de Allende this summer and the director of the Queretaro's Museum of Art saw the expo and contact me to give me date next year, in the summer too. The show is a full digital work (I don't use an actual digital camera, I scan the subjects in a flat bed scaner and, after some cleaning in Photoshop, I print them Lamda or Lightjet) and I don't know if it's correct to advertise it here :confused:. You can see the whole thing in this URL:

www.joseantoniophoto.com

Congrats... and if it influences your schedule, my opening will be Oct. 16th! :)

Jose A Martinez
08-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Gracias Miguel.

Jose A Martinez
08-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Suzanne, your are twisting my arm, but I have to find the money to be there. I hope I can make it.

Derek Jecxz
08-31-2008, 08:24 AM
I do not post frequently, but I read here at lot. This is a great site and the people here are genuine. I found this thread and I felt it was important to contribute.

In 2007 I was accepted into 13 juried exhibitions by sending in my artwork to calls for entries (I submitted to 20 to 25 in total). I had framed photographs traveling all over the country. I had to pay for shipping both ways. The most hectic was arranging for two photographs to be delivered to an exhibition while I was on an extended photography trip in northern Canada. Those did not sell either. Nearly all of my pieces returned with scratches on the Plexiglas (can’t ship glass).

With every submission I sent along a very professional packet, cover letter, business card, and a small 2” x 2” accordion booklet of my work (about 5 tiny photographs). After every acceptance I sent a thank you card expressing my sincerest appreciation.

In 2008 I decided to limit my exposure to regional shows (to reduce my costs) and to shows with “names” such as museums or similar that would mean something on my resume. I am glad that I did.

This past spring I had a best in show for photography at The Trenton Museum--which received local press. I also received prize money. That photograph is now a part of the museum’s permanent collection.

From submitting to these exhibitions I was fortunate to meet one or two very nice gallery owners who recommended me to others and gave me good advice. One was very helpful because she recommended that I submit my artwork to a regional hospital expansion and I sold 4 or 5 pieces for about $2,000 in total.

I am glad that I used these juried exhibitions and I would do it all over again!

FYI: All artwork originated from 645-transparency film.

Nicole
08-31-2008, 08:46 AM
It's wonderful to read what everyone is up to and I'm especially proud of Suzanne's latest achievement, well done!
If you're interested, Photo Review Australia, Spring Issue # 37 (current) has an article on my work.
I need to step back a bit and take it easy for a while, but in the interim can be reached via email.

Jose A Martinez
11-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Just to announce that I've been rejected for the FIFTH time to the "Mexico's Biennale for Photography", the bad news. The good is that I'll have an exposition of my transvestite work at the art gallery of the "Claustro de Sor Juana's University", the next February, starting the 11th. until the 20th of March.

Colin Corneau
11-24-2008, 08:49 PM
A photograph I made during a trip last year to China was a winner with Applied Arts magazine, in Toronto. It's a magazine for the graphic arts/design/ad agency crowd in Hogtown.

http://www.appliedartsmag.com/awards_winners_details.php?id=2742&pagecategory=4&headerName=h_awards_winners_photo-illustration

And I have an exhibition at a gallery in my own (small) city coming up, the pictures hang December 18th.
The show (tentatively called "Latent Country") is hand-printed B&W images from 2 trips to China, all made with my Widelux F7. And I'd be remiss if I didn't say that the information and wisdom I gained from this forum and its people were absolutely invaluable in producing the show.

Steve Smith
11-25-2008, 02:08 AM
I received an e-mail yesterday telling me I had been short listed for the 'Isle of Wight Photographer of the Year' competition. A very grand title for a small event.

The fifty shortlisted entries will be exhibited at a local arts centre then at Dimbola Lodge (Julia Magaret Cameron's former home and now a photographic museum).

I expect my image was one of just a handful of traditionally produced images amongst mainly digital submissions.

http://www.iwpoy.org/award/
http://www.dimbola.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=1005&Itemid=1002

Steve

Philippe-Georges
11-26-2008, 01:54 AM
In March of this year, my photo-book/portfolio was finally published at publisher "P" in Leuven (Belgium).
The book is a small but fine object with 20 B&W pictures very well printed in duo-tone and varnished with a slightly warmly tinted varnish. The pictures were accompanied by 20 intriguing poems by a friend - poet Johan van Cauwenberge.
The tittle is "Voor de zondvloed", freely translated : "Before the Flood", and was dedicated to Nadar who was an antediluvian "d'avant la lettre".
The book was presented during a small show with some the pictures.

In attachment the photo shown on the poster announcing the book and the show.

Philippe

Jose A Martinez
11-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Congratulations Philippe, I die of envy. How many they print? Do the publisher sells on line?

ishutteratthethought
11-26-2008, 12:40 PM
I had been on a hiatus from the darkroom for a couple years before 2007. Prior to then I had done mostly black & white film photography for many years for personal enjoyment and decided to take it up a notch or two by purchasing top quality equipment at dirt cheap prices compared to the prices of the pre-digital era. I could not afford the equipment to get the images I can today. (hurray for us!!)

Coming off from my first show in September 2008 at a Deli Gallery in Minneapolis I had two of 5 pcs selected for an upcoming show in January 2009 at the Minneapolis Foundation in downtown Minneapolis. There were three judges selecting art to display. The judges consisted of the curator from the Weismann Art Institute as well as from The Walker Art Institute here in Minneapolis, not sure where the other judge was from. Many entries were turned down so I was quite honored. I am also starting to sell some pieces to help the cause.

I want to thank many of the APUG members for their vast knowledge of the trade and still feel I have so much more to learn about analog photography.

Steve Zimmerman

Philippe-Georges
11-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Congratulations Philippe, I die of envy. How many they print? Do the publisher sells on line?

Well, there were about 425 printed on high quality paper, NOVATECH 170 gr., and typesetted in Perpetua and bound in a rough and very sober cardboard.
The scanning of the prints was very well done, on a brand new Heidelberg drum scanner, by Bema-Graphics. Together with the canner operator, it took us a long time to fine tune the scanning and to fit the ink colours (a certain tone of black and grey) and ink densities as well as the toning of the varnish and the effect on the paper.

25 of them were released with a signed handmade print on baryta paper (25 x 40 cm), the right half was the picture (see attachment) and the left half was a poem, hand written by the poet. These were numbered and signed by us. Almost all of then were sold, so the project came out not to bad financially, the Publisher is rather small...
One can buy the book via the publishers website : www.uitgeverij-p.be, ISBN 978-90-79433-02-5.

Philippe

P.S. do not die of envy to mutch, I had to wait for 5 years till the book came out, it took 4 years till the poet finished his writing, but it was more than worth it!

gbenaim
12-11-2008, 08:50 AM
I just got this print of mine accepted to Onward 09, so I'm very excited. Who else from APUG got accepted?

Valerie
12-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Suzanne Revy and I were among those selected to be in the Texas Photographic Society members only show. http://www.texasphoto.org/ExMOS.html

Any other apugger on the list?

David Brown
12-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Suzanne Revy and I were among those selected to be in the Texas Photographic Society members only show.

Congrats to Valerie and Suzanne!

And ...

PhotoBob
12-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Recently won an award during the first time photography was included in an exhibition at the major Osaka museum.
We were a small contingent representing Canada and it was an honour to be part of the representation.

photomc
12-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Suzanne Revy and I were among those selected to be in the Texas Photographic Society members only show. http://www.texasphoto.org/ExMOS.html

Any other apugger on the list?

Congratulations Suzanne and Valerie (see Valerie I did not tell anyone this time ;) )

Speaking the TPS, they also had a Alt Process show - anyone have work in it? I know Chris Anderson (alt process list) has work in the show.

PhotoBob
12-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Congratulations to Suzanne and Valerie :)