PDA

View Full Version : So, how did you do?--Blow your own horn!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

David A. Goldfarb
06-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Since we have a forum for calls for entries to competitions, juried shows, and such, we've decided to add a sticky thread for individuals to let everyone know how they did. Don't be bashful! Shameless self-promotion is encouraged. If you've been accepted into a juried show or have placed in a contest, announce it to APUG, and if you have a scan of the winning image, please post it here if you can.

This item isn't for debate about whether some particular contest was fair, or whether competition in the arts is a good thing or not, or for sour grapes, or for complaints about the "art establishment" if such a thing exists. We've got other places for that.

This thread is for APUG members to celebrate their success.

So how'd you do?

BWGirl
06-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Well.... I won a Spring competition that is open to all Wisconsin-based camera clubs in the category of Best Small Open Print. It was an 8x10 of dune grass in the early morning. I also received 3 HMs at this competition... one was of a BW print of Bill's boat. :D

Mark Fisher
06-22-2008, 10:59 AM
In the last couple of months, I showed at the Art Center in Highland Park, IL and actually sold a print (a big deal for me). I also managed to get a print accepted into an Illinois literary arts magazine called East of Central. The interesting challange for the literary arts magazine is that they accept the art submissions by how well they work with the literary work on the facing page....plus the magazine is in portrait layout.

Vincent Brady
06-22-2008, 11:15 AM
In a recent panel comptetion within our club my panel of 6 prints tied for first place. But what what was really satisfying about it was that both of us are among the few remaining analog photographers in the club.

Cheers
TEX

Jon Shiu
06-22-2008, 11:46 AM
I am showing a photo called Speckled Hen in the juried show "Critters" at the New Orleans Photo Alliance. The show was juried by Keith Carter. It was fun to print some animal pictures to submit.

Jon

Mark Fisher
06-22-2008, 02:27 PM
I am showing a photo called Speckled Hen in the juried show "Critters" at the New Orleans Photo Alliance. The show was juried by Keith Carter. It was fun to print some animal pictures to submit.

Jon

Great image....and a great one to submit knowing Keith Carter is the juror! I love his work and I can see him liking this image.

SuzanneR
06-23-2008, 08:29 AM
I submitted eight images to a regional grant for jurying by Allison Kemmerer, curator or art after 1950 and photography at the Addison Gallery in Andover, MA. I did not receive a grant, but did receive a juror's commendation. The following were the comments I received from her.

"A fresh eye, a fresh point of view! Nice technique, too, but I'm responding
most strongly to this artist's individual point of view. Have look at Ralph
Eugene Meatyard for more inspiration. Very nice, clean, smart work."

:)

Steve Smith
06-23-2008, 08:35 AM
But what what was really satisfying about it was that both of us are among the few remaining analog photographers in the club.

I got a 'best in show' award in our club's annual exhibition last year. Myself and one other are the only film users in that club.

Steve.

Marc Leest
06-23-2008, 09:24 AM
I passed this year at our Academy of Fine arts to enter the 4th and last year.

gandolfi
06-23-2008, 05:30 PM
very poorly!

I've entered several (danish) juried shows years back, and was always rejected. no exception.

I then met up with some international curators (from USA - england and other contries.)

they were mostly impressed with my passe partout's.......

ah well..

pwitkop
06-24-2008, 11:59 AM
I have 5 prints hanging in a group show out on Great Diamond Island. Keeping fingers crossed I'll have a sale to at least cover expenses :)

Jose A Martinez
06-24-2008, 12:53 PM
I submitted my work to "Please Ring Bell, 13th Annual Photographic Competition Exhibition" by Photographic Center Northwest at Seattle a month ago and found out today that I've been rejected...go for the next.

Shmoo
06-24-2008, 01:13 PM
I've entered but not won anything for the past 3 years at the L.A. County Fairplex show at the Millard Sheets Gallery. BUT I've had a print(s) shown in each of the last 3 shows. It's kinda' like kissing your sister/brother. On the other hand, I did sell one photo...that's a bonus, eh?

SuzanneR
08-18-2008, 05:01 PM
I submitted work back at the end of July to the Camera Club of New York's juried competition, and... oh my... feeling a little overwhelmed, but I won!! I'll be showing ten prints in New York there this fall!! I hope some of you New York APUG types will come to see it!!

The juror, by the way, was the Magnum Photographer, Paolo Pelegrin. Ack!! :o

David A. Goldfarb
08-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Congrats, Suzanne! Let us know when it's up.

blaze-on
08-18-2008, 06:03 PM
I like shameless plugs...
I was part of a group exhibit in Shanghai at the Library of Shanghai (photo #1) 12 images, my own "room"..
Also, displayed two images at the Fuji Salon in Tokyo, courtesy of Ebony Camera (same photo - and donated both prints to Hiromi/EBONY). Fuji Salon gets (supposedly) 10,000 visitors a month..
Lastly, two local coffee shop shows and sold sold two prints from that (last 2 photo's are one's I sold). Funny...must have been a lucky spot..sold the platinum nude...replaced it on wall with the silver print and sold that within the next two weeks.

bill schwab
08-18-2008, 10:01 PM
...was always rejected. no exception.Can't understand that Emil. I love your stuff.

Jon Shiu
08-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Great news, Suzanne! Congrats on your shows, blaze-on.

Jon

2F/2F
08-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Nothing big in the grand scheme of things, but enough to make me pretty ecstatic! All are college scholarship shows and juried shows.

So far:

2007 Scholarship - Photo dept. faculty Award for Excellence in Photography (out of over 600 photo students at the college)! I displayed four matted projects on the wall for review, each one consisting of at least three prints. All work was chromogenic prints. We then had to leave the building and let the art department faculty come in and do their judging. It was only $500, but quite an honor to be *the* most highly-awarded photographer in the school, especially with a scholarship that they do not grant every year; only when they feel the work deserves it. (None was granted this year, or the prior year.) I was utterly exhausted and dead broke, so did not get frames for the ensuing scholarship exhibition show. All the mats were odd sizes, so I would have had to have made my own frames. Too bad.

2007 Annual Juried Student Exhibition - 'Photography Can Be an Unusual Medium' - I submitted three of the same four series' I had displayed for the scholarship portfolio review above, and one series was selected by the juror for display in the juried exhibition. It was a three-print photo series taken inside the Norton Simon Museum during the exhibit "The Collectible Moment", The exhibit was about the history of the Norton Simon's photography collection. The people I shot were museum guards. "'Photography Can be an Unusual Medium'" was the name of a circa 1970's-vintage article they had displayed in a glass case in the show. It had been published in one of the museum's newsletters back then. Not only did I take a picture of it, but I stole the name for my own title (but the fact that it is a title is part of my own title - notice the quotations). I did make the frames for this one, and they sucked. :p

http://www.apug.org/forums/images/profilegallery/26118/large/1_Scholarship_Reflection.JPG
Here is the series on the wall in the gallery. The prints were on 20x24 paper from 35mm negs. Myself and my father are in the reflection at left. It was the first time he had ever seen any of my work, or been to school to see what I was so crazy about with photography. (This pic was taken with a Leica IIIc and Ektar 25 film...surprised I got a usable exposure in there! The negs for the prints on the wall were shot with a Canon FTb and 50mm f/1.4 S.S.C.)

2008 Rotary Club Scholarship for vocational studies. The local Rotary Club gave the photo dept. four scholarships to dole out based on teacher recommendations, and I was one of them. $100 and a nice buffet. Whoot! I was ineligible to compete in the scholarship review this year due to a low GPA. It had been a tough prior year with my father getting sicker and sicker and finally dying, and my grades suffered. My favorite teacher felt sorry that they wouldn't let me compete, so she handed me this. I got to display an untitled piece consisting of items found in thrift stores. The first item, on the left (I built a shelf on which to display them) was a book entitled "Where and How to Sell Your Photographs", by Arvel W. Ahlers. The next two items were framed prints. One was an Ansel Adams shot (Merced River and Halfdome, I believe), framed from a calendar, and another was called "Oregon Light - For Peggy". It was a faded chromogenic print of some beautiful light streaming through the pines in Oregon. Obviously a personal photo blown up as a gift for Peggy. Both remained tagged with the prices and displayed in their cheesy gold frames.

The great thing about the annual scholarship show is that you get to put whatever you want in the show! SO it's a good chance to get things displayed that would under no circumstances get displayed otherwise! :D

2008 Juried Exhibition - Latent Images - a photo project relating to my father's death, and the concept of the latent image as a metaphor. I built the aforementioned shelf specifically for this project. On the left was a framed original 4x5 b/w fiber landscape shot, on 11x14. It was a storm blowing out of Los Angeles last September. I ran up the hill to catch the clouds before heading to see a movie with my father. It ended up being the last time I saw him, and one of the last things we talked about was the pictures I had taken and how excited I was. He died three days later, before I had even developed the film. The second was an 11x14 backlit litho positive print from a 35mm color neg. in a custom-built white lightbox. The print was of my father's dead face on the slab. The third item was a thrift-store candy dish (with $3 price tag) full of my father's ashes. Mixed in with the ashes were 1" by 1" squares of a cut-up 16x20 dry-mounted version of the print. Next to the ashes was a sign that said "Please take one". Yes, plenty of people *did* take one. By the end of the show, lots of ashes has spilled over the side onto the shelf, and I estimate that about one-third of the 300-something pieces were gone. I didn't actually photograph the whole thing, but I did get this grab shot during the opening, while the juror was speaking. The bowl of ashes with the puzzle pieces was to the right of the lightbox, obscured by the two instructors:

http://www.apug.org/forums/images/profilegallery/26118/large/1_LatentImages.JPG
(Picture was shot with a Canon 10D and 50mm f/1.2L.)

Jose A Martinez
08-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Congratulations Suzanne, I need to go to NY but haven't decided the date, hope that I can catch your show.

I had a show in San Miguel de Allende this summer and the director of the Queretaro's Museum of Art saw the expo and contact me to give me date next year, in the summer too. The show is a full digital work (I don't use an actual digital camera, I scan the subjects in a flat bed scaner and, after some cleaning in Photoshop, I print them Lamda or Lightjet) and I don't know if it's correct to advertise it here :confused:. You can see the whole thing in this URL:

www.joseantoniophoto.com