PDA

View Full Version : 9x12 Plate holders 1

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

jcoldslabs
03-13-2012, 03:55 AM
Ian,

Quite right. I have a number of holders--all 9x12cm--from various pre-Zeiss Ikon makers: Voigtlander, ICA, Contessa-Nettel, Ernemann, Nagel (Kodak), and no-name brands. I also have numerous 9x12cm holders stamped Zeiss Ikon with the same numbers as their pre-merger counterparts, and then Zeiss Ikon branded holders with new numbers.

The double-sided pop-off wooden plate holders for my ICA Universal Palmos 275 (9x12cm) are marked 737/6. Those same holders stamped as Zeiss Ikon have the same number even after the merger. So some things changed and some did not.

This thread is as good an attempt as any, but it would be great to pool resources and have a comprehensive database, with photos and measurements, of the various holders and sizes. But who has the time?

Jonathan

bugbugbug
03-14-2012, 02:19 AM
Ian,

Quite right. I have a number of holders--all 9x12cm--from various pre-Zeiss Ikon makers: Voigtlander, ICA, Contessa-Nettel, Ernemann, Nagel (Kodak), and no-name brands. I also have numerous 9x12cm holders stamped Zeiss Ikon with the same numbers as their pre-merger counterparts, and then Zeiss Ikon branded holders with new numbers.

The double-sided pop-off wooden plate holders for my ICA Universal Palmos 275 (9x12cm) are marked 737/6. Those same holders stamped as Zeiss Ikon have the same number even after the merger. So some things changed and some did not.

This thread is as good an attempt as any, but it would be great to pool resources and have a comprehensive database, with photos and measurements, of the various holders and sizes. But who has the time?

Jonathan

I have the time, but I don't have anywhere near a comprehensive collection of holders. ^_^

Ian Grant
03-14-2012, 03:48 AM
I suppose we could begin here on APUG with a posting asking anyone with 6.5x9, 9x12 and larger versions of similar German / European cameras to send details of the film holders and cameras.

The shheer number of manufacturers of the metal folding 9x12 cameras will make it difficult, there's well over 30+, then there's the wooden (often tropical) and other cameras taking similar 9x12 or Quarter plate holders. I guess you'd have to stick to the metal holders as each manufacturer making wooden book-form holders made them to fit specific models and sometimes individual cameras.

We'd need to know edge types and overal dimensions of the holders and what cameras they will fit - in terms of what camera they where made for and also what rival cameras they can be used with.

Ian

jcoldslabs
03-14-2012, 03:55 AM
Ian,

I would be willing to offer photos and measurements for most of the metal holders that I have. My collection is in no way comprehensive, but I have quite a few.

When I embarked on collecting these holders (and cameras) a few years ago there was a dearth of information on-line about them. I could find a piece here and a tidbit there, but having a large collection of information in one place would have been a great help. I think photos and precise measurements would be very informative. People often give the part numbers but that doesn't help much without images to go with them.

The question is does someone end up spearheading this outside of the APUG forums or do we rely on one forum thread to contain all the data?

Jonathan

Ian Grant
03-14-2012, 08:38 AM
I'd suggest putting together something a little more comprehensive which includes the cameras themselves and the variations of lenses which is something I began collecting data for maybe 5 years ago. That would probably need to be hosted somewhere else and data collected from a variety of sources including APUG.

Ian

jcoldslabs
03-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Ian,

Wouldn't THAT be fantastic! I am willing to contribute what I can to such an effort. I hate to pass the baton on this, but I just know I don't have the time, at least not now, to be the point person for such an endeavor.

Jonathan

Ian Grant
03-15-2012, 05:00 AM
Well I have thought about possibly setting up a website dedicated to 9x12 cameras, it's only the domain name that would cost anything as I already pay for unlimited hosting and multiple domain names.

However I'm not a serious enough use/collector of 9x12 camera so lets start getting the ball rolling here.

Ian

jcoldslabs
03-15-2012, 05:03 AM
I feel the same way. I love 9x12 cameras and have even been using my ICA Palmos a bit lately, but I am not a serious collector, just a guy with a few cameras and holders. Starting here is as good a place as any.

Jonathan

jtnewhou
08-26-2012, 02:42 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Agfa in this thread. I picked up an Agfa Isolar with only one double sided plate holder. I've had no luck searching on my own and would appreciate if anyone could point me to a thread or site that explains how to make a film sheath for the plate holder.

I'd also like to see other Agfa 9x12 owners speak up here. I'm about to start my quest of buying cut film holders off that auction site in the hopes that eventually I'll get some that fit. I'll add some photos and measurements of the lone plate holder I have in another post if anyone is interested.

Ian Grant
08-26-2012, 03:01 AM
Actually the number of manufacturers not mentioned is huge there were well over 50 companies making 9x12 cameras :laugh:

Welcome to APUG BTW, teh best source of plate holders and film inserts is ebay.de login etc is identical to any other ebay portal but items often don't map across to the British or US portals.

Ian

afrank
09-10-2012, 05:45 AM
I sadly got 5 holder 10x~15mm x 4mm thickness for 9x12 no markings or brands perfect condition, I guess there is someone producing them now, they are like new :/.
If only they could fit my Voigtländer Arvus which takes the filmholders with 2mm thickness on the edges! (why not trade them ;))

Anyone got more info in general?

I also found this catalog, German tho:

http://www.fotografische.de/wp-content/uploads/rada-katalog-fotografische_de.pdf

Farside
09-10-2012, 07:02 AM
I also found this catalog, German tho:

http://www.fotografische.de/wp-content/uploads/rada-katalog-fotografische_de.pdf
That's absolutely marvellous, thanks!
It sheds some light on some of the holders I've got - I was never sure or simply didn't know who made them.
I'm also intrigued to see there was an adapter to allow 9x12 plateholders and rollfilm backs to go on to 4x5 international backs. I could have done with one of them recently. Probably like hen's teeth now, though.

Perry Way
09-14-2012, 09:46 AM
I'm going to sell my Voigtlander Avus in 9x12 format with 3 film holders. The film holders are the kind that have a swinging door inside, you open and slip the sheet film in then close that door before closing the film holder itself. I found that swinging door to be strange but good actually since it fits a lot more exactly and snugly than your average 4x5 film holder, there is zero chance for the film to slide around inside. Anyone have an idea what is a fair price to ask for it? Everything works on the camera, there are no light leaks in the bellows and they are supple actually. Two of the film holders were slightly bent around the edge of the film sheath to the point that there were two very slight light leaks, but.. the metal is easy to bend and I think I have the light leak solved, but haven't run any more film through it to make sure. The negative quality is outstanding on this camera! I have the original camera case but it's really beat up on the lid area. I was thinking of an asking price of $200 but want some objective opinion(s).

ChuckP
09-15-2012, 07:09 AM
I'd say check competed auctions on Ebay. If you can wait I'd avoid selling now. I've noticed some very low prices on large format equipment. I won't tell you what I paid for my Maximar 9x12's but it was a lot less then $200. And these included filmholders with film inserts. Some of the holders were like new. Mine were good Ebay deals that are not everyday prices. I think you will be lucky to get $100 in todays market.

iulian
12-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Hi everyone!

I have a 9x12 with no markings that could give me a manufacturer. It has a 135 Xenar so it looks good :)
It came with four holders and I bought four extra which fit (it must be the most common type). What I don't have is film sheaths. Has anyone found a source for those? The great auction site seems empty from what I can tell.
I really want to use this camera on those days when the Kiev 88CM feels too high-tech :)

Also, as a side-note, the four holders from the big site had sheet film in them but with no sheath. I guess someone tried using them like that and gave up. But I have film to test my idea of developing adapter for the AP tank when I get around to it.

moegl
02-14-2013, 06:16 AM
Zeiss Ikon 665/7 9x12 plate holder
works with Kodak Recomar 33

John Earley
03-28-2014, 03:22 AM
I just purchased this Ihagee camera and wonder if anyone knows the model number/name?

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l629/jacketch1/Ihagee.jpg (http://s1127.photobucket.com/user/jacketch1/media/Ihagee.jpg.html)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221398268977?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Farside
03-28-2014, 04:48 AM
I just purchased this Ihagee camera and wonder if anyone knows the model number/name?

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l629/jacketch1/Ihagee.jpg (http://s1127.photobucket.com/user/jacketch1/media/Ihagee.jpg.html)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221398268977?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Knock yourself out...
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/anwj7a8bmland/Ihagee_info_-_pre_slr

John Earley
03-28-2014, 05:35 AM
http://www.ihagee.org/cat/IHGcat1930-31-4.pdf

I found it on the Ihagee.org site. Patent-Duplex #720

Nokton48
09-15-2014, 10:51 AM
Here is my collection of 9x12cm "Normalfalz" Plate Holders.
I use these in my three Plaubel Makiflex cameras (see my avatar).

All of these holders have film sheaths inside them.
I have acquired alot of 9x12cm film over the past several years.

Top left: twelve Voigtlander holders.
Top right: ten holders from the Ukraine.
Lower Left: four RADA "Normalfalz" holders.
Lower right: unmarked 9x12 "Normalfalz" holder.

All of these holders fit in a Plaubel Makiflex 9x12cm film back.