PDA

View Full Version : Alt Print Exchange Round 8, October 2008

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Zebra
10-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Anupam,

That's a great idea. However with the restrictions on liquids the print would have to be about 1 inch by 1 inch. For a 20 x 24 shooter that would be a cardinal sin! By the way, I'm making your print for sure this weekend from my oversight from the last go round.

best,

Monty

Akki14
10-17-2008, 02:27 AM
I'm still sort of deciding what to print :confused: I got my paper cut down yesterday and was all ready to mask it out then had a moment of "hang on, do I really want to print this?" and have been debating about what to print ever since.

querlicht
10-17-2008, 05:03 AM
Oh Heather

What problem you have :-). Do you have a lot of very good photographs on the gallery. I'm sure you will find the right photo :-))

Have a nice and sunny day - but ... in London a sunny day? :-))

Martin

FredW
10-21-2008, 09:05 PM
I just want some clarification. Two of the folks who have sent me their addresses have referred to lith prints. I like lith, so I have no objection to recieving more - it so wonderfully variable. I took part in the lith print exchange earlier this year, as well as an alt print exchange. I've kinda got lith categorised in my head as a silver process, while alt encompasses historical, polaroid transfer, non-silver and such odds and ends.
Is there a "rule" about this? Is lith included or excluded from Alt?

For myself, I do not think of Lith as an alternative process. I think of them as any hand coated process. But in my search, the alternative photography site has lith included.

So shall we put it to a vote. Do you want to consider a lith print and alternative process for the purposes of this exchange?

Participants, PM your vote to me. Otherwise, I will have to exercise my executive privilege.;)

FredW
10-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Group 3 (Mario, Diane, Carl, and Anke) I have sent your prints off today. I would expect them to take between 10-14 days to arrive. Enjoy.

FredW
10-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Just received the prints from Anupam, a nice cyanotype of a water spigot, and I think a palladium of a chair in a library.
Anupam, for the cyanotype, what paper are you using. Is it the classical cyanotype, or Mike Ware's modern formula?
I have been having issues with papers not giving me the depth of tones I would like to see.

Anupam Basu
10-23-2008, 12:11 AM
It's the classic formula but developed in vinegar instead of water. The paper was Canson Montval 300gsm sized in gelatin. The other print was a Van Dyke, toned in selenium.

Anke Drewitz
10-23-2008, 03:09 AM
For myself, I do not think of Lith as an alternative process. I think of them as any hand coated process.

Like Fred I would prefer to get hand coated prints in an alternative print exchange.

Anke

gr82bart
10-23-2008, 09:47 AM
So shall we put it to a vote. Do you want to consider a lith print and alternative process for the purposes of this exchange? I'm not so picky when it comes to these exchanges. To me anything that is not gelatin silver or chromgenic is alternative - hand coated paper to Polaroid transfers to glass plates collodions to liquidlight on anything to liths to hand painted prints. I enjoy the variety and am not so dogmatic about what I get in return. Well, as long as I get something! :D I have hundreds of prints from these exchanges and enjoy all of them.

Regards, Art.

colrehogan
10-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Since the people have committed to doing prints for this exchange and if this is the only method that they employ for printing, I don't have a problem with this for this round. However, maybe it should be stated up front for future rounds what methods are (or are not) considered to be alt-processes.

Anke Drewitz
10-30-2008, 03:29 AM
Group 3 (Mario, Diane, Carl, and Anke) I have sent your prints off today. I would expect them to take between 10-14 days to arrive. Enjoy.

Hi Fred and group 3,

just changed Fred's print against mine prints yesterday at the post office :)
Thanks to Fred for a nice view to a Canadian National Park, where one can get lost in all the details ;)
Maybe you could try to make a salt print from this negative, to transfer all the dynamics to the paper.

Hope you all enjoy my prints,
Anke

sly
10-30-2008, 11:05 AM
I have recieved 2 beautiful cyanotypes from Martin. Lovely pinhole images, Martin!

I will definately not get my work in the mail by the end of the month. My husband's serious illness this fall but me way behind. I'm now almost caught up on the prints I had to make for local clients and hope soon to get to my alt supplies. I'll be late, but they will get done eventually.

colrehogan
10-30-2008, 11:36 AM
I am hoping to get some printing done this weekend, since the weather is supposed to be relatively warm (so the heater inside the house isn't going), provided I don't spend the whole weekend sick (like I feel today). :(

Rich Ullsmith
10-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Group one prints away! I don't know how long things take to get to Switzerland, Martin.

They are all liths, and seeing there is some ambivalence over what constitutes "alternative," I hope y'all are not disappointed.

All of my prints were made on paper that is long extinct and difficult to find. Some is absolutely impossible to find. I can't get any more alternative than that, folks!

FredW
10-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi Fred and group 3,

just changed Fred's print against mine prints yesterday at the post office :)
Thanks to Fred for a nice view to a Canadian National Park, where one can get lost in all the details ;)
Maybe you could try to make a salt print from this negative, to transfer all the dynamics to the paper.

Hope you all enjoy my prints,
Anke

Yes, Anke, I am glad you like it. I hope the post man did not try to bend it to fit through the mail-slot. I have tried the negative in argyrotype, and its looking much more promising.

Salt printing, well I have not tried that yet, perhaps. That's why I like these exchanges, it let's me see other processes, and has prompted me to explore other new processes.

Zebra
11-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Hello All,

My prints will go in the post on Monday. Hope all enjoy. I know I always do.

best,

Monty

colrehogan
11-04-2008, 11:42 AM
I received Anke's print in the mail yesterday. Thanks so much! :D

I finally at least pulled out the negatives I plan to print this time. :o I am hoping to get some test printing done maybe tonight (depends on what time I get home from voting and my Chinese ink painting class) and definitely try to make some headway on printing tomorrow night. :)

querlicht
11-05-2008, 12:28 PM
I received 2 very nice und unconventional prints from Rich today. Thank you very much!
Thank you, that you opened my eyes for a wider range of alternative processes.

Martin

CarlRadford
11-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Hi Folks

I have been away and a little tied up of late. However, I would like to acknowledge two great prints.

The first is a gold toned palladium image from Fred. A great composition and huge range of tones. The gold toning has worked extremely well and really adds to the image.

The second is from Anke - one of the nicest cyanotypes I have seen and I have seen a few extremely good ones - especially from John Brewer. Again a great range of tones and the highlights have been held which is often the most difficult part. Very well presented too!

To you both many thanks indeed. My effort will be in the post for the weekend.

All the best, Carl

colrehogan
11-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Hi group 3,
My prints are made and I hope to get them out in the mail early next week. :D

I managed to get them printed before the cold front came through and we have to turn on the heat in the house (there goes the humidity).

Diane