PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Texas Area Alt Process (and stuff) get together II

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

David Brown
09-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Wow! :o

This is only 5 weeks off! Which means the camera club presentation I'm giving the week before is only 4 weeks off! And I was going to have all this new work printed for both events! Geez ... :rolleyes:

I hope things in the Houston area are back to normal enough by then and all-y'all can still make it.

scootermm
09-22-2008, 11:05 PM
All,
I put together a little website with info about the TX Shindig in October.
Take a look:
http://www.matthewmagruder.com/txaltget_webpage/

If you need any additional info please let me know through PM or contact me through email/phone.

Hope to see some of you in October.

Matt Magruder
Phone: 512 565 6691
Email: me@matthewmagruder.com

Gay Larson
09-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Sounds really great Matt. I have hope I can make it.

David Brown
09-23-2008, 11:16 AM
There has been some talk of outings for making photographs before and after the actual event on Saturday afternoon. I am going down Thursday and staying in Wimberley. Although I live elsewhere now, San Antonio is really my home town, and I don't mind visiting any chance I can get.

So, if there is any interest, I wouldn't mind being more or less the "guide" on Friday for a photo excursion to shoot the San Antonio Missions, or the Riverwalk, or the West Side Murals. OR, I'll take a few people around the area to shoot some historic churches, a la the Texas Church Project. OR, I'll go with a group to one of the area state parks. OR ...

SA is about 50 miles from the Canyon Lake address (+/-). Fredericksburg is about 60. Some of the state parks are a bit closer.

Anyway, just soliciting interest.

(I was going to Galveston the first half of that week, so my plans are sort of flexable ...) :(

jglass
09-23-2008, 12:17 PM
This sounds excellent. I just found this group, didn't even know apug had regional groups (got to scroll more). I will try to be there. I'm an Austin neighbor and shooting a lot of film now. A demo of wet plate or really anything alt process would be a true bonus! I would also have an interest in the San Antonio mission shooting session if that works out.

Thanks for organizing this.

Jeff Glass

photomc
09-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Looking forward to this, meeting up with some old friends and meeting new ones. As Matt mentioned, we had a great time at Clay's 2 years ago. I hope that the cleanup and repairs from Ike will be over for those folks affected and they will be able to join us for a relaxing weekend (you guys will be ready for it I think).

As you may have noticed the area is ripe with photo-ops so bring a camera and some film, and plan to join in some nice weather and good company. Don't have anything planned except exposing some film and checking out some of the local places - will be out Friday and Saturday morning, then heading over to Casa Magruder for some good food, good company and looking at some good photography.

Hope to see everyone there.

sdivot
09-28-2008, 03:09 AM
David,
Can you elaborate on the West Side Murals in San Antonio? I get to SA occasionally. My wife has family there and I live in Houston. It sounds like something I might like to check out, for 3 color gums or gumover ptpd.
Thanks,
Steve
btw: I was at Clay's a coulple of years ago, and I also really enjoy your Texas Church Project.

David Brown
09-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Can you elaborate on the West Side Murals in San Antonio?

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/CC/kjc3.html

http://www.lowriderarte.com/featuredartists/0205lra_texas_lowrider_murals/index.html

Only 2 years ago I was able to find multiple websites with photos of the murals, but today, almost nothing. Several sites "talking" about the murals, but little or no illustration. Hmmm ... Maybe this movement has run its course and they are mostly dissappearing. Too bad.

I admit having not been over on "La West Side" in a few years. I get back to SA less and less as time passes. But all one had to do was drive around for a bit and you would find them. Now I think maybe I won't try to do an organized trip/tour/photo outing without some research first. I am going to post over on the Texas Photo Forum and see if any of the locals knows more.

photomc
09-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Made reservations for hotel room this weekend, looking forward to this Matt.

pdoyle
10-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Two more reservations have been made! I look forward to see everyone!

pdoyle
10-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Does anyone plan on getting together Saturday morning for a shoot? Personally, I would like to check out the missions.
Pat Doyle

scootermm
10-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Looking forward to the shindig, getting to meet some new people, see some work, and hopefully get out shooting some.

Pat I know that David Brown was planning on "leading" a jaunt down to the Missions on Friday.
I will most likely be trying to do last minute stuff on Sat morn in prep for people showing up around noonish. If I shoot at all sat morn, itll likely be somewhere close by. Theres a few small towns and such nearby that are always nice.

My phone number is listed on the webpage here (http://www.matthewmagruder.com/txaltget_webpage/), as it gets closer you are more than welcome to call or email me, hopefully people will keep this thread updated about their plans.

again, really looking forward to the get together.

pandino
10-06-2008, 08:28 PM
I was in SA last week and briefly shot two the missions in 5x7 on Friday. Be prepared to tell the rangers that you are taking pictures for personal use only, or get yourself a permit if you plan on taking commercial shots.

They were immediately unfriendly with me, but my relaxed and non-defensive response seemed to disarm them slightly.

They didn't seem to believe any sane person would carry that much gear for personal use. I often ponder that myself...

I think the hours are from 9-5, so the lighting is not ideal, but the Fall sun is low enough that my shots turned out decent.

Have fun. Wish I could go back for the get together!

David Brown
10-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Does anyone plan on getting together Saturday morning for a shoot? Personally, I would like to check out the missions.
Pat Doyle

Pat:

I don't have anything formally planned, but I did offer to "guide" anybody that wanted to do the missions. However, I had mentioned Friday for 2 reasons. One was there will be fewer people than on Saturdays, and also I don't think there will be enough time to get to SA, shoot, and back to Canyon Lake by Noon. (I am staying in Wimberley, just north of the lake location where we're meeting. Even discounting the travel time to and from SA, the four missions (I am leaving out the Alamo - officially one of the 5, but not the best for what we do) are spread out a bit and there is some travel time between all of them.

So, (to make a long story short) I don't think there is enough time on Sat Morning.

Mike Castles has some plans for Sat morning, however, and barring anything else, I was planning to join him and I'm sure you would be welcome too. There's some Hill Country scenery closer to Canyon Lake that I think he's planning on for Saturday.

But, stay tuned to this thread. As the date gets closer, more things will firm up. :)

roy
10-07-2008, 04:45 AM
Not being able to attend but reading the threads nevertheless, I feel 'drawn in' to the event to the extent that I would like to hear how it all unfolds and what participants do during it. Will there be a blog and perhaps some pictures of locations and participants' photographic results ?

photomc
10-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Mike Castles has some plans for Sat morning, however, and barring anything else, I was planning to join him and I'm sure you would be welcome too. There's some Hill Country scenery closer to Canyon Lake that I think he's planning on for Saturday.

Nothing formal so this could change with the wind.

Friday - head over to Guadalupe River State Park, early and might be there an hour, might be there all day. It will depend on what the park is like crowd wise, the light, weather, etc. Was also thinking about Pedernales State Park later in the day.

Saturday morning - wanted to stay close, if any extra hands are needed by our host to help set up anything. However, I would not mind going back to Guadalupe SP or even the town of Blanco (or Blanco SP), as they are close by. If the water level is low enough (and I think it is) there are some interesting rock formations at the spillway (dam) of Canyon Lake that was uncovered recently by flood waters.

Roy, I do plan to take some photos of the gathering (probably a mix of film and digi-snaps) and would be happy to post some of them as well as a blog of what was going on on my Rambles (http://mikecastles.wordpress.com/). Sorry you can't make it, would love to meet you but understand the distance problem.

photomc
10-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Just realized that it might be nice to describe what is at the locations I plan to shoot at on Friday/Saturday....do check the links ot the parks on Matts website for the get together it will help if you do not know much about the locations.

Guadalupe State Park - the main attraction, for me anyhow, is the river itself. There are some small rapids/falls that could be interesting, and then there are the Cypress tress - for me the main attraction. They live right on the rivers edge or even in the river and have these great 'knees' that rise out of the ground at the base. If we get a little low level fog all the better to work with.

Pedernales State Park - Rocks!! Big Rocks and water running over them, through them. Lots of small falls, pools in the rock an interesting landscape.

schrochem
10-08-2008, 09:14 PM
I plan on being there but only for a short time.
A series of conflicts popped up and are stretching me to be in a few places at the same time.
As it stands now, I'll be bringing the wetplate stuff down and do a demo saturday around noon.
I'll probably get there earlier to set up stuff and take a few photos.
However, I need to split around 2 or 2:30 (bummed I can't stick around).

Gay Larson
10-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Once again, family gets in the way of my photographic fun. My Sister-in-law who has not visited in 15 years is coming that weekend. Can you believe it??? sorry to miss the fun.

scootermm
10-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Just a bit of an update.

As scott mentioned, he's gonna generously demo the wetplate collodion process for us. Which I'm very grateful to him for doing. - Scott, Ill bring a fresh bottle of collodion and all my glass/chems/supplies so you don't have to burn through all yours. If possible I'll pour some as well and demo some.

Everything seems to be coming together. There is a local BBQ joint about 2 mins from the house thats gonna provide us with food to devour. Please bring a couple bucks to donate for the food fund ($10 a person maybe?). Also, reminder to bring any beverages you'll wanna consume (cerveza, vino, etc etc). I know I'll be enjoying a few Lone Stars.

Also, I got bored on friday night and made some Tshirt designs and put them on Cafepress. No profit on my end... just thought people would enjoy them.

CafePress TX Shindig Tshirts (http://www.cafepress.com/txaltshindig)

For those of you not familiar with Texas history, the "Come and Take a Photo" Tshirt is in reference/spoof to the flag from the Battle of Gonzales.