PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Texas Area Alt Process (and stuff) get together II

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

David Brown
10-19-2008, 07:31 AM
Wow! :o

This is only 5 weeks off! ... And I was going to have all this new work printed! Geez ... :rolleyes:

I hope things in the Houston area are back to normal enough by then and all-y'all can still make it.

WOW! Only 6 days! :)

I got the prints made. (I'm so proud ... ) No, really. As I said over in the procrastination thread: I don't procrastinate, but I am lazy. :p

Understand that there will a be a Houston contingent. Excellent.

Wife and I are leaving tomorrow morning for the Hill Country. We will wander over the area all week and end up at Rancho Magruder on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing some old acquaintances and making some new ones.

Ciao, podners.

scootermm
10-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Just a bit of an update for all those coming to the shindig.

A local Austin wet plate shooter, Mark Hall, has generously offered to loan me his portable wet plate dark box so, Scott Schroeder and myself will both have portable darkboxes/rooms to demo Wet Plate on Sat morning. Scott has to leave around 1pm so we will more than likely be setting up and pouring some from 11am +/- til 1pm-ish.
I will be there at the house all morning, prepping for people showing up, setting up the wet plate stuff, etc.
So if people who'd like to see the collodion process can show up around 11:30am +/- I think we'll be geared up and ready pour.

The BBQ/food will be getting picked up around 130pm, so food will be ready there around 2pm-ish.
I've estimated around 25 people.
If possible can people reply to this post so that I can get an idea on numbers of people definitely planning on coming.
Thanks.

Remember to bring...
- any beverages you might like to consume (theres a couple convenience stores on the way to the house)
- a lawn chair if you can manage it
- $10 for the food funding
- prints (any and ALL types - GASP - even digital prints if you'd like) to share
- and most importantly, bright and shining self, ready to enjoy some good company, good conversation, good BBQ, and perhaps some adult beverages.

In case people get lost and need someone to direct them to the house I can be reached at my cell phone (512 565 6691) or if that doesnt work the house land line (830 935 2797)

Again heres some info on directions and such:
http://www.matthewmagruder.com/txaltget_webpage/

Hope to see everyone in a few days.

pdoyle
10-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Matt,
Pat Doyle & Paul Vinton will definitely be there from Dallas.
We are really looking forward to meeting everyone!

Pat

Venchka
10-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Matt,

I'm in for sure. Arriving 12-1-2'ish after dropping my wife at the Texas Clay Festival in Gruene. If y'all don't know about the Clay Fest it's an annual gathering of the best potters in Texas.

http://www.texasclayfestival.com/home.html

Wayne from Wood County by way of Houston.

David Brown
10-20-2008, 05:50 PM
David and Robyn!

photomc
10-20-2008, 06:23 PM
FYI - I have a rough head count of 25 from the 3 forums this was listed on - APUG, LF and Alt Process List. Some were early on, so not sure of the status now, but it looks to be about 20-25 good folks showing up. Big Thanks to Matt and his parents for hosting this and I promise to post some shots from the weekend.

For those that wanted to attend and can't for different reasons, we will miss you...there should be some great work to share. See ya'll Friday or Saturday.

NOTE:This seems to be a BIG Photo weekend - There is Photo Plus in NYC, The LF Cancer Event (Steve Sherman) in CT, the cool workshop with a fine group of instructors hosted by Elevator in Canada, the gathering here in TX and I think Kerik might have something going on in CA. Pretty cool.

rbender
10-20-2008, 06:34 PM
I have seen this post a little late but I will be in the area and would like to join you. Thanks

Robert

schrochem
10-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Matt, that's cool mark let you borrow his darkbox. I was thinking of leaving mine with you if you wanted to keep shooting. I'll probably be over there earlyish saturday to make some plates....I don't think I have to leave til 2 or so.

photomc
10-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Just bumping this up

Jeremy
10-22-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm currently at home horizontal in bed pumped full of muscle relaxers and unable to drive due to muscle spasms in my back so I don't think I'll be able to make it :-(

photomc
10-22-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm currently at home horizontal in bed pumped full of muscle relaxers and unable to drive due to muscle spasms in my back so I don't think I'll be able to make it :-(

Bummer :( Hope you feel better soon.

schrochem
10-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Just finished loading the truck with photo gear (the whole back end....). Tomorrow I need to load up camping provisions and then my son and I are off to Guadalupe State park. Maybe I'll bump into some of y'all then. Anything happening Friday night?
Looking forward to saturday. I REALLY wish I could stay longer but duty calls and I have to get my son to a soccer game.....

photomc
10-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Hey Scott, there are a few of us (matt,david and I) heading that way in the morning - hope to run into you there.

BTW - anyone headed out this weekend, be sure to watch out for deer...they are all over and tend to run in front of you. Saw some this evening just south of New Bruanfels, 2 across the road and then 2 more right behind them..can be fun, but can scare the devil out of you when you aren't expecting them.

rbender
10-23-2008, 10:28 PM
I will be camping at Guadalupe River S.P. also. I should be setting up camp in the late afternoon Fri. I don't know anyone yet, but I will look for any suspicious characters with large view cameras and tripods:) If I don't see you then I will see you Sat.

Robert

schrochem
10-24-2008, 07:02 AM
Maybe I'll bump into you robert.
I've only met Matt so I don't know anyone either! :)
Looking forward to having some fun.

photomc
10-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Well, the gathering was very nice...sure Matt will post his thoughts when he recovers from the past couple of days. There must have 20-25 good people show up, and there was some very good work shown. A special Thank You to Matt's parents for hosting everyone, and to Matt and Scott for the wet plate demos.

There were some new friends made, and old friends missed ... hope everyone had a great time.

schrochem
10-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Mike it was a pleasure meeting you and a lot of other great folks. James and I made it to the soccer game in time so I fulfilled that responsibility! I wish I could have spent more time there to chat some more with everyone and see everyone's work and processes.
I also want to thank Matt and his parents for letting us do this at there home. It was a beautiful place and a wonderful day (and also to congratulate them on a being new grandparents!). Oh and Mike, that's a nice day to have a birthday!
It was certainly my pleasure to share the wet plate plate process with more people. It's something I truly love to do and letting others see how it works it's always a lot of fun. Perhaps next time we can get people pouring plates and getting there hands black! :)
Oh, and mike that is an outstanding camera you have! I'm still blown away by how light it is.

photomc
10-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks Scott, and good to hear you and James (a very excellent young man) made it to the soccer game. Was really surprised there were so few APUG folks that showed up..Several from the Large Format Forum and a strong showing from the Austin Alt Process group were there. Would say you and Matt were a hit though, everyone (including a couple of distinguished guest from Santa Fe - Bostick and Sullivan) were interested in the demo you guys did.

scootermm
10-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the kind words about the Texas Shindig.
It seemed to go pretty darn well.
Good time meeting some new people, getting to see ALOT of new and really impressive work, seeing familiar faces, and even helping scott with the collodion demo.
Big thank you to scott for all his help with the wet plate demo (and all the equip he loaned me).
Also, thank you to Mark Hall (not sure if he's an APUGer) for letting me use his "Company Photographer" darkbox.
Hope that people enjoyed the get together, and hope they enjoyed the wet plate demo... especially my really efficient demo of how incredibly finnicky and unpredictable wet plate can be. David Brown's portrait had some crazing bronzing I still can't figure out.

Big thank you to Mike's wife Deb. She was an immense help.

Really enjoyed getting to finally meet Melody and Dick from Bostick & Sullivan. Nice of them to come all the way over from Santa Fe.

Thanks to everyone for attending and hope we can continue to have these get togethers.
I really enjoyed it and had a great time.

scootermm
10-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Also, here are a few of the plates made on friday at Guadalupe River State Park and on sat morn at my parent's house.

GRSP:

http://www.matthewmagruder.com/files/gimgs/27_8x10bgguadspark2.jpg

http://www.matthewmagruder.com/files/gimgs/27_8x10bgguadspark3.jpg

http://www.matthewmagruder.com/files/gimgs/27_4x10bgguadspark1.jpg

Canyon Lake (parents house):

http://www.matthewmagruder.com/files/gimgs/27_8x10bgamanddshs1.jpg

http://www.matthewmagruder.com/files/gimgs/27_8x10bgamanddshs2.jpg