PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Texas Area Alt Process (and stuff) get together II

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

pdoyle
10-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Matt,
I would like to add my thanks to you and your parents for you gracious hospitality. I could not imagine a better location for the gathering. Also you & Scott were most informative and entertaining with your wet plate demos! I especially enjoyed getting to meet so many like-minded (ie obsessed) people. The great work shown, the food, the conversation, etc could not have been better.
As Paul and I drive back to Dallas we talked about how we could not wait to start shooting some more and get back in the darkroom. This get together was most inspiring!

Thanks again for all of your hard work,
Pat

Venchka
10-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Matt,

Thanks again! Thanks again to your parents. Thanks to everyone who made the day a success!

David,

Thanks for the conversation, encouragement and the film! I used it yesterday around Gruene and in the Guadelupe River. I'm looking forward to seeing the negatives.

Mike,

Thanks for the help on alt. processes. No thanks for bringing the wonderful new Ritter 8x10. I may be ruined forever. No worries. There is a lot of Mr. Ritter in my wee Zone VI 4x5 camera.

I'm already looking forward to meeting y'all again.

Cheers!

Wayne

David Brown
10-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Hey, everyone! Wife and I are back at home and recovering (we were in the Hill Country all week and were actually pretty shot by Saturday :o ). Great to meet some apuggers, LF forum folks, Austin alt processers and assorted others. Alas, I did not actually meet everyone, and only after leaving did I discover (from my wife) that there was a German and a Norwegian there! I should have mingled more ... :D

I was also surprised and pleased at how many from Dallas came down, including from my own neighborhood! "It's a small world after all ..."

Here are some evil snaps: (L to R)

Mike showing his prints
Matt showing his prints
Some guy showing his ...
Mike and Matt at the Guadalupe River (Matt in the water, Mike's new Ritter)
Matt and his Dad having their wetplate portrait made by Scott
My Canon Elph wishing it was Matt's 12x20 :p

Venchka
10-28-2008, 07:26 AM
I did learn two things on Saturday...

Never never ever ever...

Pick up a Richard Ritter 8x10 camera.
Look at the image projected by a 355mm G-Claron lens on the ground glass of a Folmer & Schwing 12x20 camera.

Amazing stuff.

I'm ready for Alt Process Get Together III. I promise I will bring prints next time. They will make everyone elses's prints look so much better.

rbender
10-29-2008, 09:15 PM
I just got back home myself. Took the round about way from the Sat. get together to Mustang Island and a few stops on the way back to Dallas taking photos along the way. I ran across a few churches along the way and thought of those in the Church Group.
Matt it was a great shindig, Thank you, your parents and all who helped. Lots of good people, great photos, and photo conversation, the best kind. Look forward to the next shindig.
One BIG thing I came away with from this was a renewed respect for those who choose anything with a bellows as there weapon of choice to take pictures. The other weapons are challenging but, upside down, backwards, 7x11, 12x20, 4lbs lenses, only shooting 4 sheets in a day.

David pm me if you want to get a coffee sometime at the neighborhood coffee shop (Starbucks). Let me know if any of you locals are getting together.

Thanks again,

Robert

photomc
10-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Hope you had a good trip down to the coast Robert, it was a pleasure seeing your work (you guys have no idea what you missed).

Wayne & Wes, it was good to put faces to the names, and a pleasure to meet you as well - you guys have to promise to bring your work next time.

Venchka
10-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Wes brought work. Good work too.

I'm still in shy, overly self critical, stumbling, bumbling, hiding my work mode.

I promise. Next time I'll bring samples.

Wayne

schrochem
10-30-2008, 10:34 AM
I really wish I could have spent the whole day there and had more time to look at others work. It was a hectic day for me and hauling ass back to austin for the soccer game was something I had to do....
I didn't take any digital pics or have any plates left to show so I can't help in that regard.
I hope some of y'all liked seeing what wet plate was all about and perhaps you'll get wet someday!

pdoyle
10-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Here are a few pics of Matt and Scott doing their wet plate demo.

Matt cleans his glass plate as Dick & Robert look on
Matt pours collodian on the plate
Scott shows us some screw-ups
Scott discusses color reproduction in wet plate

It was all quite fascinating and great fun!

Pat

photomc
10-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Matt cleans his glass plate as Mike & Robert look on
Matt pours collodian on the plate
Scott shows us some screw-ups
Scott discusses color reproduction in wet plate

Pat

It was great to meet you and Paul, Pat...one correction though..the first photo has Dick Sullivan (of Bostick & Sullivan) and Robert looking on. :)

I can wish I knew as much about alt process as Dick.

schrochem
10-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Om my.
I had no idea I was so photogenic!!
:)
ha!