PDA

View Full Version : Odd set of shutters

Whiteymorange
07-14-2008, 05:59 PM
I know, it's probably silly to ask about a strange set of shutters without showing them in a picture, but they're not with me right now and I'd like to get a sense of the interest/knowledge-base out there before I bring out the digi-tool and get some snaps of them. I will post an image of them next weekend.

There are 5 of them, in a well made, hinged box that resembles a flute case, obviously made for these shutters. They are heavy brass or bronze (about a pound apiece), measure about 3.5 in. across the body and have 2 wires coming from each of them. I've taken one apart, as far as I could without going crazy, and they appear to be simple electromagnets, which respond to a DC charge of 12v by opening- as long as the current is applied. The rage of f/stops on each is identical; 6.8, 8, and 11. They have serial/model numbers on them that are different but I cannot find any differences in the shutters themselves.

For the life of me, I cannot imagine these things in use on any camera I have ever seen, but they must have been quite expensive when they were new, perhaps in the 20's or 30's, judging from the workmanship and the case.

Any ideas?

Jim Noel
07-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Sounds like they may have been for specialized aerial cameras.

Whiteymorange
07-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Better late than never. Here is a picture of the shutters, in case. Any ideas?

nemo999
07-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Better late than never. Here is a picture of the shutters, in case. Any ideas?

Set of lenses to go an a special motion analysis camera taking 5 shots in rapid succession (think Eadweard Muybridge)? Can't think of any other need for 5 identical lenses!

Whiteymorange
07-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Set of lenses to go an a special motion analysis camera taking 5 shots in rapid succession (think Eadweard Muybridge)? Can't think of any other need for 5 identical lenses!

That is actually what I came to in thinking about these. There are web references to electromagnetic shutters used by those who wanted to study movement. Here (http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/9657/Muybridge.html), for one.

I don't think I have some great historical find, but it is interesting to think about these things. These shutters obviously set someone back a few pennies when new.

seawolf66
09-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Whitey: Look at it this way, find a lens that fits one shutter and you have four back up shutters not to shabby : Lauren