PDA

View Full Version : So Long Tiger Stadium....

bill schwab
07-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Man.... What a place. Full of memories.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=C4&Date=20080723&Category=SPORTS02&ArtNo=807230804&Ref=PH&Profile=1050&Params=Itemnr=1

From a project I did there in the late 90's...

pesphoto
07-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Probably feels the same as when they tore down our Boston garden.

bill schwab
07-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Probably feels the same as when they tore down our Boston garden.I was shooting Fenway for this same project and while there they were tearing down the Garden. I could see right inside the thing. Sad even for a Detroiter.

pesphoto
07-24-2008, 03:53 PM
yup, I remember when I would drive by on I 93 I could look right in and see the seats like you said.
I was surprised at how much it affected me. So many memories in that place!

thebanana
07-24-2008, 08:55 PM
That's the kind of "progress" that makes me sick. I wonder how long Wrigley will last?

IloveTLRs
07-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Those are really beautiful photos

bill schwab
07-24-2008, 09:19 PM
I wonder how long Wrigley will last?I hope a long time. I did that one too. An incredible place to have to yourself!

Those are really beautiful photosThanks!

lns
07-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Luckily, Wrigley Field should last for a long time. Wrigley Field is perhaps the most valuable part of the whole Cubs franchise. The Cubs and Wrigley are on the market right now, and bidders are competing to pay about $1 billion for the package. I don't think it will be named Wrigley Field much longer, however; whoever buys it likely will sell the naming rights.

Bill, I love your Tiger Stadium shots. My husband is from Detroit, and I made him take me to a game back in the '90s when we were visiting. Having grown up going to Wrigley, I had to see a game at Tiger Stadium. It was awesome. Your pictures capture something so poignant and haunting about it. Even before it was torn down, it felt forlorn, sitting there all run down in that empty neighborhood, echoing with the past. Your pictures bear witness to that, for me. They are just beautiful.

-Laura

Steve Sherman
07-25-2008, 06:14 AM
Can you hear Ernie Harwell crying

Columbia_G
07-26-2008, 02:21 AM
In a few months they start ripping down what is now Yankee Stadium (originally opened in 1923 - re-opened after renovation in 1975) - the House that Ruth Built.

The "new" Yankee Stadium next door looks great (as a facade so far) but it will always be The "New" Yankee Stadium.

I'm just so glad they put the "new" one next to the "old" one so that most all of the neighborhood landmarks around will remain in place. But a paradigm shift is happening - and while it feels good sometimes - it feels bad too.

Jerry Basierbe
09-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I just drove by there on Saturday. Not much of it left. Maybe one quarter. I understand
that they will be leaving that part standing and hopefully make a park out of it.

Jerry