PDA

View Full Version : Moving Back to Minnesota

Paul Sorensen
07-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Well, I have been wanting to say something for a while, but I was feeling a little unsure since there were still some things that needed to happen. But, I think I can now say it publicly, my wife and I are moving to Minnesota. For her it will be new, for me I am coming back after an almost 20 year absence.

We will be getting temporary housing for a month or two while we shop for a house. We are pretty much settled on southwest Minneapolis, somewhere in the vicinity of the lakes. If anyone has any ideas about temporary housing, let me know.

I am thinking trying to make the trip to the North Shore, but I have a feeling that things will be a bit to hectic in my life to be able to make it. I am looking forward to meeting some new neighbors from APUG.

Thomas Bertilsson
07-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Paul, let me be the first to congratulate you on your excellent choice! :)
We certainly look forward to meeting you here 'up nort' - there can never be too many film shooters here, that's for sure!
I'll see what I can do about temporary housing. I have a friend that's selling a home, and it's not going too well, perhaps they'll rent it out. I'll check into that for you.

- Thomas

Dave Wooten
07-25-2008, 12:30 AM
GOOD LUCK PAUL, IT WAS NICE MEETING YOU LAST YEAR IN DENVER.

BradS
07-25-2008, 12:55 AM
Paul,
Congrats and best wishes. My wife and I both came to California from Minnesota some thirty years ago. We often dream of moving back. Best of luck to you hope your pipes don't freeze!

mgb74
07-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Welcome back to MN. Let your wife know that it really never gets below 30deg here, we just spread rumors of cold weather to keep down the crowds.

We "emmigrated" from the Washington DC area 30 years ago and haven't regretted it. Lots of changes here in the past 20 years (like everywhere), but still a great place to live.

Paul Sorensen
07-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. We were able to get a contract on our house only a week from when it was listed, nearly at the full listing price, so we figure that someone or something is telling us that this is the right move. Thomas, I will PM you about our schedule so you can check with your friend. It sounds like it might be a good thing for both parties.

Oh, and Dave, it was nice to meet you as well. Perhaps we can visit again if you make from Vegas through Minnesota.

Paul Sorensen
08-31-2008, 10:55 PM
Well, things have been very interesting regarding the planned move. We are now on to our fourth contract to sell the house. It has been a very strange ride so far. I hear of folks going months without a contract, and we are on four in a little over a month. This latest one seems to be working well, the buyer had contract number two with us and his house sale fell through, and now he is back. If all goes as planned, and there really is no reason for us to expect that with all that has gone on :), then we will be closing at about the end of September. Karen and I are both really looking forward to the move, it is coming back home for me and Karen tells me that it feels like that to her as well.

I hope everyone has fun on the trip next week, I look forward to joining in next time around.

craigclu
08-31-2008, 11:46 PM
It sounds like you're making progress... Bring your snow shovels, too! I live about 100 miles east of the Twin Cities, work for a St Paul company and my daughter lives in St Louis Park so I have reasons for being there quite often. Welcome to the neighborhood!

Derek Lofgreen
09-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Sorry to be loosing you from Colorado Paul. Take care up north.

D.

zenrhino
09-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Bring your snowshovel and your bike. Both will get plenty of usage!

Paul Sorensen
10-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Well, we have moved, our house sale went through smoothly and we are staying in temporary housing in Plymouth. We have started shopping for a house to buy in Minneapolis. It is all very exciting!

Thomas Bertilsson
10-10-2008, 09:27 PM
It's the right time to be house shopping, Paul! There are many homes for sale at much lower prices than just a year ago.

Let me know if you have time to get together next Sunday in Minneapolis. Would love to meet you, and we're meeting a bunch of photographers that day.

- Thomas