PDA

View Full Version : Blind Print Exchange

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jim Chinn
09-11-2003, 11:07 PM
We are seeking participants for the September exchange. Ole has joined up for September and we are seeking additional participants. Currently besides Ole it is myself Ron (silverpixel5) and Nige. The August exchange was a good start and provided great dialogue and stimulation.

In summary, the exchange is an opportunity to share work, and ideas with others. Fine gallery quality prints are not required. this is more about exploring approaches, technique and vision.

Anything goes for exchange except digital output.

Acceptable are the following: Color, B&W regular prints, contact prints, alternative methods, contact sheets, RC or Fiber, collage, Polaroids, polaroid transfers and manipulations, hand painted, emulsion manipulations, composites, photograms etc. Any format, and any size print.

Participants are randomly matched to someone else and the two exchange their work. Participants must understand that the nature of the exchange is that they may receive something they are not really interested in, but the idea is to be exposed to diversity in approaches and respect the effort of others.

Participants are encouraged to contact each other and discuss prints, photography in general etc. If you don't want to communicate but just exchange work that is fine also.

Every month prints should be sent by the first of the next month. September's need to be in the mail by Oct 1.

Let me know if you are interested via this topic or private message me with your mailing address and I will let you know your partner for the month.

James Chinn

Jim Chinn
09-15-2003, 01:40 PM
Still looking for a 2 or 3 new participants in the October exchange. See previous post for info. Ron, Nige and myself will be discussing our previous exchange in the chat room tonight from 9:00-10:00 pm CDT (lunch hour for Nige). Join in for more info or add to the discussion.

Jeremy
09-15-2003, 02:16 PM
I would like to join in a couple of months when I have the darkroom re-configured for fiber paper--maybe November or December?

ken s
09-15-2003, 08:30 PM
Hello, I would like to participate. Please give more info on how many prints, when, where, why, how, etc. This sounds like a great idea. Ken

Jim Chinn
09-16-2003, 01:15 PM
i will send you a PM message with all the information.

ian_greant
09-21-2003, 11:40 PM
Jim,

After processing todays shots and making a couple client prints I'm tearing my darkroom down and moving it, so I'll be out of commission for a couple weeks while I get everything all sorted out again.

I would like to participate for Oct though,

Thanks,
Ian

Lex Jenkins
09-22-2003, 02:37 AM
I'd hoped to participate but my youngest daughter just moved back in and I have to move my darkroom gear out of the spare bathroom/laundry room. Gotta find a new place to set up. Drat. May be weeks or months before I can resume printing.

brimc76
09-22-2003, 12:34 PM
I'd like to participate in the October exchange.

Jim Chinn
09-22-2003, 02:26 PM
Lex,

I know how it is to not have a darkroom for a long period of time. I hope you will still be contributing you knowledge and insights on the forum. If you get desperate, do what I did: I rented a motel 6 room for a weekend and processed and printed about 12hrs each Sat and Sun. Of course it sucked carring a D2 up to the second floor along with all the other stuff. But it actually was quite enjoyable after getting set up.

Shesh
09-22-2003, 02:49 PM
I would like to participate in the exchange for October.

Poco
09-22-2003, 02:55 PM
Jim,

Ain't it a bitch when you have to illicitly shack up with your photo-mistress at the motel? It seems no matter how careful you are, the wife always catches the smell of fixer or spots the toner stains on the shirt collar!

Lex Jenkins
09-22-2003, 03:42 PM
Jimmultiplenumbers, that's actually a pretty good idea! Never occurred to me to rent a motel room. Much cheaper than renting darkroom space by the hour and I already have all the equipment.

Actually, tho', what I'm thinking about doing is offering to teach basic and intermediate b&w skills through a local arts studio. If I can set up a small space in their property I won't even need to set up at home. I have a spare enlarger anyway. We'll see how that goes.

Otherwise, I'll rearrange my bedroom which is already much larger than I need but which is poorly organized (king sized bed and I'm single). Set up a corner with a dark tent. Back in business.

Jim Chinn
09-22-2003, 10:07 PM
I want to thank everyone who has signed up to be in the blind print exchange. Sean is going to put up a page similar to the post card exchange, traveling protfolio and traveling negative project.

I would like to put mailing addresses on that page and have it password protected. Everyone would be assigned a number in the order you asked to join and I would put the number pairings on the page and then you would get the other person's address there. If you are uncomfortable having your address on the page, let me know and we can just pair up numbers and leave it to individuals to get the addresses from each other. Only individuals that want to participate would have the password.

right now I am collecting addresses and sending PMs to people with the pairings, but as we get up to and past 20 people it becomes to time consuming for me to do that.

thanks for any other suggestion or input,

Jim(multiplenumbers) Chinn

ian_greant
09-22-2003, 10:20 PM
(snip) If you get desperate, do what I did: I rented a motel 6 room for a weekend and processed and printed about 12hrs each Sat and Sun.

Now that's funny!

At one point I was handcoating papers on the clothes dryer in a shared laundry room.. it was really the only space I had for it. :(

Ian

David A. Goldfarb
09-22-2003, 10:25 PM
Hey, I like that Motel 6 idea. Graflarger back, 4x5 camera, tripod with lateral copy arm, a few trays, safelight, and I'm in business.

lee
09-22-2003, 10:31 PM
When I used to shoot 5x7 and had to travel for a living I would haul everything into a motel and make contact prints.

lee\c

Ole
10-02-2003, 07:14 AM
Mine's ready to go at last.
I as unaccountably dalayed due to commercial work (!), which is now done.

See "Tales from the Experimental Darkroom"...

Jim Chinn
10-07-2003, 11:47 PM
i apologize for not checking on the progress of the exchange. I am getting over a case of walking pneumonia, which morped from the flu, which morphed from a little cold. At the same time I have been trying to complete an 11x14 camera I am building for somone and begin laying out a 16x20 camera. But now I feel much better and am ready to get back to the the cameras and darkroom.

Here are the participants that have been contacted and paired for this month: Nige, Silverpixels5, Poco, David Vickery, Ken S. Ole, Shesh and myself. If I forgot to send an address to someone please let me know. Several others have inquried but will join in later due to current time constraints and other commitments. Anyone who wants to join up for this month or November PM me and I will give you the deatails.

Thanks,

Jim

Sean
10-15-2003, 03:16 AM
will get this up on the weekend, am making this thread a 'sticky' so it's always at the top of the forum..

Jim Chinn
10-24-2003, 11:10 PM
We are entering our third month with the "blind" print exchange. Anyone new who wants to join up for November post here or send me a private email (PM). For complete info, go to the beginning of this post.

Thanks,

Jim Chinn