View Full Version : Please Identify this Object

Stephen Frizza
08-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Ok I have acquired a custom made wooden box from Polaroid.
on the top it reads 4X5" END CAP WIDTH MASTERS
with an ID number of ID9636

there are 3 lower labeled markers .100 LOW LIMIT , .110 NORMAL and

when the box is opened there are 3 metal items enclosed which also bare these numbers only on their tops to mark which one goes into which appropriate bay.

in the top right hand corner of the boxes top it reads POLAROID CORPORATION FILM DEVISION INSTRUMENTATION IT. NO 001096

there is also a calibration sticker which reads
date 10-6-98
due 10-6-99
ID 9636

the metal plates/blades inside each weigh 305 grams and measure 2inchesx4.5inches by 0.35 inches thick (at their thickest end)

the plates also revealed an odd property when being weighed they revealed to be highly magnetic being able to support their own weight.

any suggestions as to what these were used for? I am ultra curious about this object.

ONE ADDITIONAL NOTE. it may be important that there is one difference in the 3 metal items and it isn't really able to be shown via photographing them and posting it on apug. but all three of these metal items have the metal cut in the same way but the final ridge on the metal where it tapers off to a point varies and it varies by the o.1 of a millimeter. It is an ultra precise variant in the way the metal is shaped.
it required very careful and close observation for me to learn this.


Barry S
08-27-2008, 11:45 AM
I believe you have all the equipment you need to manufacture Type 55--congratulations! Seriously, it looks like a set of calibration standards for manufacturing, but as to the actual use--no idea. Maybe they were for QC work on the end caps of 4x5 film sheets or packs at Polaroid.

08-27-2008, 11:48 AM
They look like some kind of go/no go gauge.
This kind of thing is usually used in quality control inspections.

Lee L
08-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Feeler gauges for roller height setting on a polaroid camera or film back?


08-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Seemingly the measurement/control takes place at the tapered edge (kind of edge-slit control).
The shape and the magnetism of the rest of the gauge indicates that it is inserted for measurment into a machine.

Bur WHY did you buy such?

Stephen Frizza
08-27-2008, 12:51 PM
sheer curiosity and for the cost of $1 American dollar I couldn't resist.
sadly the seller had no idea what it was and I rescued it for meeting the bin...someone had to....
but grrr what is it? im not going to use it as a fridge magnet.....

Frank Szabo
08-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Calibrated sash weights?

I agree with ben-s - some manner of go/not go gage set to quickly check a manufacturing process.

Stephen Frizza
08-27-2008, 01:44 PM
and as for the magnetism?

Frank Szabo
08-27-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm not going to use it as a fridge magnet.....

Aw shucks - why not? You'll be the only one on your block with a set of fridge magnets like this.

It may have had something to do with holding the gage in place for whatever it was supposed to check. I believe the metal end of a 5X film was AL so it certainly wouldn't stick to that.

300 grams would only be good for a tack hammer but they do appear to be able to cause a great deal of pain should you drop the thing on your foot.

A trotline weight, perhaps? A Christmas present (alternative to a fruit cake)?

Nice box.

08-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Not sure what it is, obviously something to check tolerances. You might try posting over on the www.toycamera.com forums, there are certainly a few polaroid heads over there that might have some ideas.

David A. Goldfarb
08-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Clearly, you've got a set of Polaroid 4x5" end cap width masters. They were used for very precise adjustment of the width of 4x5" end caps. These were important, because if the 4x5" end cap width was set too narrow, then nothing would go through, and if the end cap width was set too wide, then everything would leak out.