PDA

View Full Version : APUG Gathering in Cornwall England

Pages : [1] 2

Andrew Moxom
08-28-2008, 07:12 PM
As there is no real place to ask this in the regional sub-forum, So I've placed it into the Miscellaneous section and now some of the regional sub-forums where there is usually a lot of activity.

At any rate, Last winter I was talking to a few folks at the MN sub zero winter gathering in Northern MN, and again at Bill Schwab's Photostock event in Michigan this summer. There is some interest in setting up an International trip to Cornwall England for a photographic tour of that region of the country. I am proposing setting up and leading a trip to that area of the country as I know it quite well from previous trips and becuase my family lives down there. I know of at least 4 current US based and 1 UK based APUG'ers that are willing to participate in this trip. I am opening it up for others to express their interest in meeting up and or tagging along for this excusion.

For the US contingent, I am thinking that a relatively easy sized group to manage would be no more than 12 people as we could split up into 3 vehicles allowing room for luggage and gear. Again this is all tentative at the moment. However, it does need to be looked at, thought over and prepared for by all interested parties to make sure expectations are understood. Logistically, this should be an easy trip, but making it so it fits peoples schedules, budgets, and what they hope to get out of it is where it becomes a potential minefield to plan around.

That said, I was thinking of a May/June timeframe in 2010, when Cornwall can be a wonderful place to explore at that time. No firm date and duration of trip is fixed yet at this time, and I will wait until I get a good feel of general interest before we move onto the hard part of selecting dates, locations to visit, places to stay etc.

I also realize that there are some current APUG'ers local to that neck of the woods and it would be good to see and meet them aswell as any other APUG'ers in the UK, Europe, or anywhere else for that matter participate in this gathering if they wish to tag along??

So with that said, please let me know if you are interested. Either respond to this thread, or PM me and I will start to generate a list of potential participants.

Fingers crossed this makes it off the ground, I am confident we can do this and I think it would be good opportunity for us to come away with some spectacular images.

Thanks

Andy

bill schwab
08-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Put me on the interested list Andrew. I've a bit of experience in this area as well and would love to get back in a more social, group setting.

dlin
08-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Andrew,

Thanks for taking the reins and planning this trip. Sounds like a fantastic opportunity and I'd love to participate.

Daniel

Andrew Moxom
08-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks Bill and Daniel. Will add you two to the list.

Andrew Moxom
09-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Okay, so far the list looks like this:-

From the US:-

Bill Schwab
Ike Eisenlord
Thomas Bertilsson
Daniel Lin

From the UK:-

Bill Spears
Mark Burley
John Bragg
Steve Smith
Snallan
garri
Leon
Neil Souch
Solarize
Chazzy
Travis Nunn

From Sweden:-

No Mennescio

Certainly no shortage of names in the UK! I will need someone to coordinate with in the UK though as this visit seems to be quite popular with folks there.

Next item to decide upon are the dates. So will need someone from the UK to let me know school holidays etc as I know you guys get way more of those throughout the year, but less summer time off than the US folks. Two I can think of are Whitsun (1 x week) Easter (2 x weeks).

Cheapest airfare for US travelers flying to the UK is usually from Jan 6th through May and I am leaning towards March/April time frame in 2010 for the trip. Anyone have any better suggestions for dates?

Thanks

Andy

Travis Nunn
09-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Hi Andrew, I'm actually in the US. ;-)

Andrew Moxom
09-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Doh! Sorry Travis.

Okay, so far the list looks like this:-

Bill Schwab
Ike Eisenlord
Thomas Bertilsson
Daniel Lin
Travis Nunn

Bill Spears
Mark Burley
John Bragg
Steve Smith
Snallan
garri
Leon
Neil Souch
Solarize
Chazzy
Delphine

No Mennescio

Certainly no shortage of names in the UK! I will need someone to coordinate with in the UK though as this visit seems to be quite popular with folks there.

Next item to decide upon are the dates. So will need someone from the UK to let me know school holidays etc as I know you guys get way more of those throughout the year, but less summer time off than the US folks. Two I can think of are Whitsun (1 x week) Easter (2 x weeks).

Cheapest airfare for US travelers flying to the UK is usually from Jan 6th through May and I am leaning towards March/April time frame in 2010 for the trip. Anyone have any better suggestions for dates?

Thanks

Andy

Ian Grant
09-02-2008, 01:51 PM
I have an ongoing project I'm shooting in Cornwall so if I'm in the UK at the time I'll be there :D

Ian

Andrew Moxom
09-05-2008, 09:53 AM
okay, the list is as follows:-

Bill Schwab
Ike Eisenlord
Thomas Bertilsson
Daniel Lin
Chazzy
Travis Nunn

Bill Spears
Mark Burley
John Bragg
Steve Smith
Snallan
garri
Leon
Neil Souch
Solarize
Ian Grant
Delphine

No Mennescio

and a potential option of a trip to Ireland. While I am not ruling it out, I know Ike will there next year, it may add some significant logistics, time and cost to the trip. Let's see how this progresses.

Mayfair710
09-05-2008, 10:00 AM
oh, this sounds nice...put me on an interested list. time will tell...
~~marianne

Peter Schrager
09-06-2008, 08:10 AM
add me to the list please
best, Peter

Andrew Moxom
10-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Okay, here is the latest update:-

After speaking to my sister yesterday who lives in Marazion, her neighbor has a a cottage that they rent out for cash. My sister thought there was room for about 8 to 10 people, so she will be getting us some information on this and I will let you know the details. There has also been several offers from UK based and Irish APUG'ers to take side trips. While I appreciate the offers, and they no doubt have some merit, I think it will add too many logisitics nightmares that we need to avoid especially as we only have 5 to 6 days to shoot with a day either side for travel to and from London's airports. Also, rather than traveling around living out of a suitcase from B&B to B&B, that could be problematic with the group size the contingent has grown too. So staying in one place and traveling to local hotspots in Cornwall and places en-route I think is the way to do it. I would also need the UK based folks to organize their own accommodation in Cornwall. I cannot take that on from the US.

One other aspect is that we are likely going to need a deposit for the cottage after I find out more details and air transportation is best booked early. Ike, Thomas and myself will likely be flying Northwest as they have a direct flight to Gatwick. For others, that might not be practical and is where we would really need to sync up on who flying from where and landing where. Going back to the finances, I need to be up front with folks. I am doing the organization only and have no trouble doing that. If we need to send out deposits to secure reservations, I will send out emails asking for that to happen. So that I do not become a bank, when we have to hand over deposits, I will expect everyone to realize that they need to pay on time and they are likely not refundable... Hence the reason to make sure you are committed to the trip. If you bail after deposits are paid, that's okay, but no refunds can be epxected from me and other trip members cannot be expected to bare the brunt either. I hope people understand I am not being a hard @$$, but just laying ground rules and it will level the playing field on who is really interested or not. I understand things happen, and you may have to back out for whatever reason, please understand what the expectations will be. It might behoove you to get travel insurance if that is a problem. Cheap and should cover things like that.

Here is the list so far of interested people:-

Bill Schwab
Ike Eisenlord
Thomas Bertilsson
Daniel Lin
Chazzy
Travis Nunn
Marianne (Mayfair 710)
Peter Schrager

Bill Spears
Mark Burley
John Bragg
Steve Smith
Snallan
garri
Leon
Neil Souch
Solarize
Ian Grant
Delphine
Lucie Averill (My sister potentially)

No Mennescio

Jeff Bannow
10-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Hey Andy,

Sounds like an interesting trip idea. We would love to return to England - if there is still room, put us down for the interested category. If necessary I can have Eva sleep on the floor. :)

Andrew Moxom
01-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Okay, so after my trip to the UK over Christmas to see family and feasibility of an APUG trip to Cornwall, I think this trip is really doable. I was gone for 6 days and travel each way was included in that. I was able to visit family and find time to crank through 21 rolls of film. If this was a dedicated photo trip, I think we will have a lot of opportunity to photograph.

I still need to quiz my sisters neighbors who were not around when I was there unfortunately, regarding costs to rent their holiday cottage for 5 days. That said, with 10 x US folks, it would be very tight. I will try to get this taken care of in the next few weeks so that we have some idea of costs. At the time of year were thinking of going (feb through Apr) flights from Minneapolis to London Gatwick on Northwest should be reasonable, but obviously that could change. One other option would be to get a flight from London Gatwick to Newquay in Cornwall. It's a short layover, but eliminates a 5 hour drive after being in the air for 8 1/2 hours overnight. Then we could rent some vehicles in Newquay. It would also give us more time to shoot, and less travel time driving from and back to London to get flights from Gatwick. With many of us spreadout across the US, I am thinking the best approach would be to make sure your flights to London would get in around the same time so that we could all get the connection to Newquay. There are direct flights from Detroit, Minneapolis, and other places,but we need to figure out a date to start working with as this trip is only a year or so away now.

So far interested parties are:-

Bill Schwab
Ike Eisenlord
Thomas Bertilsson
Daniel Lin
Chazzy
Travis Nunn
Marianne (Mayfair 710)
Peter Schrager
Jeff Bannow
Eva Bannow

Bill Spears
Mark Burley
John Bragg
Steve Smith
Snallan
garri
Leon
Neil Souch
Solarize
Ian Grant
Delphine
Lucie Averill (My sister potentially)

keeds
01-28-2009, 10:46 AM
This does sound interesting. Would be great to put some names to faces. I have relatives on the wife's side in both Newlyn (other side of Mounts Bay) and Marazion. Not sure if they can help directly with accommodation but they may have some contacts.

Andrew Moxom
01-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Keeds, Thanks this may help for the UK based folks as I cannot manage that end as well as the US contingent.

Andrew Moxom
02-27-2009, 03:21 PM
UPDATE! So I have pricing on the cottage for rent. Basically, we are looking at 800 pounds for the week. Split between 9 of us listed should be more than doable considering what costs for B&B are these days if we were doing this individually. I am waiting for an email from the Landlord who will make sure all the details are listed. It's alittle out of season, so the prices are reasonable, and as is, we may still need the heat on!!! At any rate, I'll send out the details as soon as I get the email and if we need a deposit etc. More to follow.

Thanks for listening.

Andrew

Jarvman
02-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Definately interested so long as it doesn't coincide with the final degree show which is around this time. Shouldn't be a prob going to Cornwall for a few days though, itsonly a train ride away. :D

Chazzy
02-27-2009, 06:46 PM
I hope that someone noted a few months ago that I can't attend. I wish that I had the money for it, but I don't. Someone take some pictures of Altarnun for me!

Travis Nunn
02-27-2009, 07:00 PM
800 pounds split 9 ways for the entire week? I'm even more excited about this trip now. I require very little, just a small space to sleep and enough room for my camera and tripod.