PDA

View Full Version : Folding plate cameras

Uncle Goose
09-08-2008, 08:31 AM
do 9x12cm folding plate cameras use standardized filmholders or does this depend on brands? I'm interested in an old Zeiss folding plate camera (because they go cheap) but in most cases there doesn't seem to be any filmholders with them, are they easy to come by or is it better to skip this. I'm planning to use it.

ZorkiKat
09-08-2008, 08:37 AM
The plate holders made for my Russsian-made Fotokor 9X12 fit and look similar to those made for the German-made 9x12s. A "Rollex" roll film adapter which looks to have been made for the German made folding 9x12s fit the Fotokor nicely.

Ole
09-08-2008, 10:10 AM
There are quite a few different plate holders, known by names such as "Universalfalz" and "Millionenfalz" and similar. Even (or especially?) German cameras use many different designs, and for the most part a holder is not compatible with a camera made for a different holder.

The good thing is that Zeiss-compatible holders are fairly easy to find. :)

P C Headland
09-09-2008, 06:35 AM
do 9x12cm folding plate cameras use standardized filmholders or does this depend on brands? I'm interested in an old Zeiss folding plate camera (because they go cheap) but in most cases there doesn't seem to be any filmholders with them, are they easy to come by or is it better to skip this. I'm planning to use it.

You should be able to find holders (and sheaths) at the camera fairs (beurs) - I got quite a few for my 9x12 from camera shows in Holland and Belgium. Just bring the camera along with you. Usually found in the bargain bins!