PDA

View Full Version : Street Shooting Your Children

BrianPhotog
09-12-2008, 09:37 AM
http://www.brianwebbphoto.com/d/2871-2/nature_calls

I've just finished an article on how to apply some of the principle techniques of street photography to create unique photos of your children and why I think photos like this are valuble.

The article is published here (http://www.cosina-voigtlander.com/content/view/81/82/).

Comments are always welcome and appreciated. :-)

xxloverxx
10-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Very good article, well worth the read; I agree with everything that's been said there. Thanks!

ntenny
10-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Very interesting indeed; I found myself wishing it were longer, maybe with some more discussion of how these principles played out in the images accompanying the article. (Also, I couldn't, um, *see* the images accompanying the article; it looks as though the links to them are broken somehow.)

The "fake cuteness" photos are a pet peeve for me, too---for one thing, it conditions kids to stop what they're doing and force a smile when a camera points at them, which generally is the exact opposite of what I wanted!

Thanks for posting it.

-NT

BrianPhotog
10-04-2009, 05:51 AM
Very interesting indeed; I found myself wishing it were longer, maybe with some more discussion of how these principles played out in the images accompanying the article. (Also, I couldn't, um, *see* the images accompanying the article; it looks as though the links to them are broken somehow.)

The "fake cuteness" photos are a pet peeve for me, too---for one thing, it conditions kids to stop what they're doing and force a smile when a camera points at them, which generally is the exact opposite of what I wanted!

Thanks for posting it.

-NT

Thanks so much for the kind critique. Yeah, that "fake cuteness" is a big thing in Taipei where I live most of the time and it annoys the heck out of me. 20 years from now the only thing that can be said about the photo would be "well, I was a cute baby"...but it does nothing to reveal personality.

BTW, I fixed the images on my blog (where I also published the same article) so if you want to see the article without broken photos, you can here: http://www.photojazz.ws/2008/09/street-shooting-your-kids :p

jnanian
10-04-2009, 07:09 AM
nice article -
( i wish i could see the images ... )
i agree too, just like with adults,
people acting like themselves make the best photographs!

john

BrianPhotog
10-04-2009, 07:48 AM
nice article -
( i wish i could see the images ... )
i agree too, just like with adults,
people acting like themselves make the best photographs!

john

For the complete article (with fixed photos) take a look at my blog (http://www.photojazz.ws/2008/09/street-shooting-your-kids).

keithwms
10-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Good job, well done! You have several classic photographs there, very nicely illustrating the article.

Jeff Kubach
10-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Excellant article, thanks for the info!

Jeff

BrianPhotog
10-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Excellant article, thanks for the info!

Jeff
Thank you! I'm glad you went to the right article with the photos :D

Mark Fisher
10-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Nice article. I look at images like the child in the barber chair (which I really love) and think of it as improvisational portraiture. Then, I looked at the subheading of your blog and I imagine you agree with me!

I'd consider changing the title if possible, though. I live near Chicago and street shooting your children has a bit of a sinister sound to it.

BrianPhotog
10-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Nice article. I look at images like the child in the barber chair (which I really love) and think of it as improvisational portraiture. Then, I looked at the subheading of your blog and I imagine you agree with me!

I'd consider changing the title if possible, though. I live near Chicago and street shooting your children has a bit of a sinister sound to it.
Thank you! That's Aidan, the eldest of my twin boys and that's my second favorite photo of him thus far... and one I can't wait to bring out the first time he brings a girlfriend over.

As for the title, "street shooting" is an extremely common euphamism for street photography, the same way "snapshooting", a hunting term, is commonly associated with casual photography or the phrase "take a shot" more often means snap a photo then shoot an actual bullet. I think it should be okay... the article is actually a year old (look at the orig. post date) and there have been no complaints during that time.