PDA

View Full Version : If I were a rich man......

Pages : [1] 2

gandolfi
09-20-2008, 07:27 AM
..I'll get this!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130255746377&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

:rolleyes:

Ian Grant
09-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Ole's cupboards probably look just like that :)

Ian

gandolfi
09-20-2008, 07:41 AM
well - mine do too... (but not that much..)

Ian Grant
09-20-2008, 07:50 AM
well - mine do too... (but not that much..)

Yet :D

Mick Fagan
09-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Small camera museum, that small museum has much more than many other camera museums I have seen.

Whatever it goes for, it appears that there are some quite interesting goodies which are eminently usable that will go possibly (effectively) cheaply.

Karlsruhe is only a shortish drive from where I'll be in late December, sigh.

Mick.

Pinholemaster
09-20-2008, 08:12 AM
very cool

nemo999
09-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Note that, while the English at the top of the listing says "Pickup only", the German says "Shipping costs by arrangement, since there will be quite a few heavy crates", so don't hesitate to bid! You might be in with a chance for $5 to 8,000 (?)!

gandolfi
09-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Note that, while the English at the top of the listing says "Pickup only", the German says "Shipping costs by arrangement, since there will be quite a few heavy crates", so don't hesitate to bid! You might be in with a chance for $5 to 8,000 (?)!

I am not too good in German, but as far as I can see, that goes for the Biedermeyer cubbard - not the cameras in it... (?)

nemo999
09-20-2008, 12:15 PM
I am not too good in German, but as far as I can see, that goes for the Biedermeyer cubbard - not the cameras in it... (?)

The German is ambiguous BUT in the questions section, a guy from Spain asks if he can bid and the seller says OK.

Uncle Goose
09-20-2008, 01:22 PM
At this time the price is still pretty low, even I who is not very into pricing of old cameras can see that there are certainly some very valuable cameras in there. Of course it still has 3 days of running. I'm curious about the ending price.

Ole
09-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Ole's cupboards probably look just like that :)

Ian

No, mine have fewer and larger cameras - and a lot more brass lenses. :)

This collection is even more of an "accumulation" than mine! As far as I can see, there are only two cameras there that I might be interested in. Well - 3 cameras. That looks like a 4.5x6cm plate camera with film pack (!) in one of the pictures. :)

Ian Grant
09-20-2008, 01:48 PM
There's one huge problem with this sale, we just don't have a clue how many of those cameras are good, functional, or just junk. Who ever put this collection together didn't take good care of it, or maybe that should be the current owner.

As a whole they will only make a small fraction of their true value, and anyone buying the package and cleaning, cataloguing and re-selling on ebay could make a killing.

Ian

Marco B
09-20-2008, 03:02 PM
There's one huge problem with this sale, we just don't have a clue how many of those cameras are good, functional, or just junk. Who ever put this collection together didn't take good care of it, or maybe that should be the current owner.
Ian

The owner writes (translated from German):

The objects are for the most part in good condition, technically however, they have been kept for so long, so as to be sure that one or another shutter has "hardened" / is unusable.
I won't make a list, nor answer specific detailed questions regarding certain pieces. As it is displayed, it is sold (WYSIWYG ;))
The original well conserved and well kept after Biedermeijer cupboard is sold separately for 2000 euro's. Shipping cost depending on packaging, because of weight and several boxes

If it is even sold and the price target is met! Otherwise it stays, and anyone interested can report himself next year a second time.
END QUOTE

Ian Grant
09-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Thanks Marco

So it's sold take it or leave it, as long as you pay more than my reserve :D

The comments are fair, particularly about the shutters etc, but the seller isn't helping himself. I guess he's decided a figure and wants minimal effort in disposing of the equipment.

In the past I've bough well from sellers like this. Around 2000 I answered a Newsgroup add for darkroom equipment, being sold as one lot, numerous people wanted this or that, but the seller the deeased owners son didn't want the hassle of selling off equipment he knew nothing about. I bought the lot and the fraction I sold paid for everything.

This sale seems like that. The seller doesn't have the knowledge to sell anything off separately. So buy it now or wait until I've had it catalogued and valued properly.

Ian

jnanian
09-20-2008, 04:22 PM
maybe he just wants to be fair and honest regarding the cameras, and shutters?
i know of sellers i have bought from who listed things
in conditions other than actual . ...

seawolf66
09-20-2008, 04:59 PM
gandolfi : You buy the lot keep the cameras and send me the display case : Thanks Lauren

gandolfi
09-20-2008, 07:43 PM
gandolfi : You buy the lot keep the cameras and send me the display case : Thanks Lauren

:D

that's an idea, but I happen to like the Bidermeier cubbord!
not for the cameras, but for other reasons.

I
d certainly like to buy this lot, but as said, I am not a wealthy man.....:(

André E.C.
09-20-2008, 08:58 PM
I
d certainly like to buy this lot, but as said, I am not a wealthy man.....:(

You're joking?:o
I'm sure the seller would trade that lot, for a bottle of wine, with those two model friends you have.:D

Cheers

André

nemo999
09-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Some insight into the seller’s frame of mind may be gained from this, his last sale (of a Leitz Aristophot photomicrography camera, very grubby, rusty in parts, electrical power supply probably lethal, quite a few lenses which would be worth having if not full of mold):

“Keine Ahnung was das alles ist und was genau dabei ist, wie komplett, wie es funktioniert etc. Es ist jedenfalls äusserst schwer und zum TRANSPORT per POST denkbar ungeeignet. Deshalb, Abholung bevorzugt. Ansonsten mindestens 2 Kisten, Kosten so nicht zu ermitteln. Preis willkürlich eingesetzt, nur halt nicht zu verschenken (höchstens an ein MUSEUM - aber die in Frage kommenden haben sich nicht gerührt)..”

“No idea what it is, what is present, how complete, how it works etc. Alll I can say is it is very heavy and highly unsuitable for shipping. Pick-up is therefore preferred. Otherwise at least 2 crates will be needed, costs impossible to determine. I have set a price at random, I’m not going to give it away, except perhaps to a museum, but possible candidates have not responded ...”

A seller for people who like to take a chance!

nemo999
09-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Final price for this lot - US$3,500! From what could be seen in the pictures, the Linhof 9x12 or 4x5 plus two vintage Contaxes and a Leica would have taken care of this amount, the rest would have been free to anyone with the time to drive a van to Karlsruhe!

PS: I should have noted that the final bid did not reach the reserve price - my guess is that this is $5,000 - who knows? The cameras are still up for grabs!