PDA

View Full Version : Rental darkrooms in LA

PanaDP
09-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Does anyone know of any rental darkrooms around LA? I'm in Glendale and it would be great if there was one really close.

Even more preferable would be if someone wanted to work something out for occasional use of their personal darkroom. I'm very, very clean when I do darkroom work and you would hardly notice me there.

ed77
10-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Try Freestyle Photographic Supplies in Hollywood. They are on Sunset 5124 Sunset Blvd. 1-800-292-6137. They may be able to steer you in the right direction. What kind of printing are you looking to do? B&W? Color? Small, medium, large format? Anyway God bless in your search.

Silverhead
10-08-2008, 12:48 PM
You can try Translight Colors (they do both color & B&W) @ www.translightcolors.com, L.A. Photo Center @ www.fridakahlotheater.com/photolab.htm, or L.A. Foto @ www.lafoto-usa.com.

Shmoo
10-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Might be cheaper to take a class at a community college in your area with darkroom facilities. Darkroom rentals can add up.

PVia
10-08-2008, 01:54 PM
There was/is a place in N Hollywood...google around for rental darkroom, you'll find it.

Here's a start:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=rental+darkroom+hollywood

wildbill
10-08-2008, 02:06 PM
The city of L.A. darkroom at the Frida Kahlo theater was a great place before i had my darkroom. It was $5/hour with a $25/year membership. Ray, the guy that ran the place was very cool and helpful. I don't know if they're still open, the link doesn't work and i can't find Ray's number. I had a friend sign up for a b+w class at the community college and it was only $9! He said it was great for the darkroom time. Sorry i can't share mine, there wouldn't be room for two of us in there!

Silverhead
10-09-2008, 12:44 PM
The city of L.A. darkroom at the Frida Kahlo theater was a great place before i had my darkroom. It was $5/hour with a $25/year membership. Ray, the guy that ran the place was very cool and helpful. I don't know if they're still open, the link doesn't work and i can't find Ray's number. I had a friend sign up for a b+w class at the community college and it was only $9! He said it was great for the darkroom time. Sorry i can't share mine, there wouldn't be room for two of us in there!

The darkroom is still there and it's actually been improved...Ray was a great guy, but he couldn't organize anything to save his life. The place is now run by a guy named Rico, who has really cleaned everything up and made things much smoother and easier for the users. The # there now is 213-639-1572, which people should really use as reservations are now mandatory there.

BTW, the proper link to the place is www.fridakahlotheater.org.

Translight Darkroom
03-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Hey fellow photographers, we exist! We are Translight Photography Center (formerly Translight Colors), located at the Brewery, an artist colony off the 5 freeway at Main St., just north of downtown LA.

We offer b/w and color darkroom rental, a 44" wide Epson inkjet printer for digital output, classes, and gallery space. We use Durst and DeVere enlargers in both group rooms and private rooms.

Everything you need to know, including prices, equipment specs, and so forth can be found on our website:

www.translightcolors.com

Please come -- and bring a friend!

Michael Gotz, Owner
Christine Caldwell, Manager

Does anyone know of any rental darkrooms around LA? I'm in Glendale and it would be great if there was one really close.

Even more preferable would be if someone wanted to work something out for occasional use of their personal darkroom. I'm very, very clean when I do darkroom work and you would hardly notice me there.