PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Lenses

Michael A. Smith
10-02-2008, 07:45 AM
My wife, Paula Chamlee, and I got to Chicago, a city we have been commissioned to photograph, and on September 24 our van was broken into and my lenses were stolen. Fortunately, Paula's lenses were in the car our assistant was driving out and he had not yet arrived.

The lenses and lens shades, filters, Pentax 1 degree light meter, etc., were in an older Tamrac backpack.

Here is a list of the stolen lenses. If anyone sees any of these things, please notify me immediately. My email address is at www.michaelandpaula.com.

35" Red Dot Artar in Ilex #5 shutter serial number 812262
30" Red Dot Artar in Ilex #5 shutter serial number 791676
24" Red Dot Artar in Alphax shutter serial number 829585
16.5" Goerz Dagor in Ilex #5 shutter serial number 755927 or no number. We had one lens where the serial number was painted out and this could have been it.
14" Goerz Dagor or Goerz Double Anastigmat in a Compound Shutter serial number 915881 (I am not sure if it was a Dagor or Double Anastigmat—(I don't pay close attention to equipment). This is a very old uncoated lens and was the only 14" Goerz lens that covers 8x20.

Reward offered. Many thanks.

Michael A. Smith

Jim Fitzgerald
10-02-2008, 10:44 PM
This really makes me sick! I worry when I take all three of my systems out with me. I can't imagine what I would do if I had this happen. I hope the person is found and put in jail. If I had any lenses even close to these I would gladly give them to you to use as long as you needed.

Jim

jgjbowen
10-04-2008, 10:19 AM
bump

msage
10-04-2008, 01:42 PM
bump

OK, what does "bump" mean?
Michael

wilsonneal
10-04-2008, 01:47 PM
bump is a way to move a post to the top of the "unread messages" queue in an attempt to keep the thread in front of people. it's a gesture from fellow members to say "hey, this is important or useful info, and all you guys should be aware". It is most frequently used in classified ads when the seller believes that people have forgotten about his ad or may not see it because it's buried under newer ads.
N

msage
10-04-2008, 01:51 PM
bump is a way to move a post to the top of the "unread messages" queue in an attempt to keep the thread in front of people. it's a gesture from fellow members to say "hey, this is important or useful info, and all you guys should be aware". It is most frequently used in classified ads when the seller believes that people have forgotten about his ad or may not see it because it's buried under newer ads.
N

Thanks for the info!
Michael

maxbloom
10-04-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.

michael9793
10-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Michael,
When times are tough enough to have something like this happen. you may want to try the local pawn shops I'm sure they don't know what they have and may take them there to get some money for them.

michael andersern

gr82bart
10-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Don't forget to place the lenses and serial numbers on the Photo.net stolen equipment registry. Despite some folks here hating on Photo.net (there are lot of haters on APUG - LOMO haters, Kodak haters, scanning haters, etc... I digress), this registry is extensive and just about everyone I know knows about the registry. http://photo.net/neighbor/registry/

Regards, Art.

Gay Larson
10-05-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm so sorry for the loss. I know how you feel, last month someone come into my driveway in the middle of the night and broke out my car window and took my camera bag with all my Nikon lenses and a body, not to mention all the other items I loved to use. I am still mad, I turned in all the serial numbers to the police because I thougth it might get hocked but no word yet. My loss wasn't as great as yours and I do hope you recover yours.

PhotoJim
10-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Thank goodness you had a set of lenses in two different vehicles. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but either way, it helped to mitigate the damage. Better to lose some of your lenses than all of your lenses, especially for such an important shoot.

Hopefully your lenses turn up. One thing working in your favour is that large format equipment is becoming fringe. We are a small community.

If you haven't already, please post at largeformatphotography.info also. The more eyes watching, the better.

Good luck.

naturephoto1
10-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Michael,

I am very sorry about the loss of your lenses. :( I know they are like children and I hope that they are recovered. I have had 2 cameras stolen in the past and I can certainly appreciate your sorrow.

Rich

Photo Engineer
10-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Michael;

You have my sincerest sympathy on the loss. I hope that in spite of this, you and Paula can complete your assignment.

Best wishes to you both.

Ron

Guillo
04-24-2010, 04:21 PM
I am very sorry about the loss of your lenses..
Search te web, look on Ebay and some pages like it.

Do not lose hope, and bay some new lenses. Do let this incident cut your joy of photography..

TheFlyingCamera
04-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Guillo-

this is a 2 year old thread. They've moved on and kept working since then.