PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 15 Results and Feedback ...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

rst
10-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Hi all,

As for the previous rounds, let us collect collect comments, feedback and everything else belonging to the postcard exchange 15 in this thread, now that sign up is over and the address lists are posted. Please also post a note here when your postcards have been sent out.

Welcome to all of you who are new to the exchange - Thanks for trying this out. And also welcome to those well known people being already in previous rounds - Thanks for coming back.

I resign now from the job of organizer for this round and be a normal participant again. But I will be back to organize round 16 which will start with sign-in in January.

Have fun and ciao
-- Ruediger

MattKing
10-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks again Reudiger.

Because I often find myself looking for it, here is a reprint of the list:

The List:

Adrian D (30)
Akki14 (30)
aluk (30)
Anke Drewitz (30)
bdial (30)
BirgerA (MAX)
Black Dog (MAX)
bmccarthy007 (40)
Buster6X6 (50)
BWKate (30)
Cara (MAX)
chriswawak (10)
crispinuk (50)
david b (50)
drpsilver (MAX)
Eric Mac (25)
erikg (MAX)
gordrob (30)
gr82bart (MAX)
hal9000 (25)
hermit (30)
johnnywalker (30)
Jon King (50)
jst (15)
kraker (30)
KWhitmore (30)
Mark Fisher (MAX)
MattKing (28)
Mick Fagan (MAX)
Mike Wilde (30)
mikeg (30)
mooseontheloose (MAX)
nyx (MAX)
ozphoto (25)
Pete H (MAX)
PVia (30)
Rob Skeoch (MAX)
rst (MAX)
rwyoung (20)
sage (MAX)
Simplicius (20)
sly (MAX)
stan160 (50)
stu (20)
Síle (MAX)
Tim Gray (MAX)
tlsid (25)
Valerie (30)
wazza (MAX)

One gentle request for those whose handwriting is as bad as mine - please print your APUG name and/or actual name on your cards. That way I'll know for sure who to thank!

Thanks in advance to all those who will send their cards.

Matt

Mike Wilde
10-03-2008, 11:55 AM
my schedule in the coming few weeks is looking heavier, so I shot off the mark this time.

Made backer cards and addressed them yesterday at lunch, just after the adress pm message arrived.

Printed on old FB paper - nothing new on that for me.

Cut the paper down to size after work, and printed and processed in batches of 8, taking a short break to join the family for dinner. Last 8 processed after dinner, then left all the card photos rocking in the print washer while we went out shopping for a bit. Bought stamps as part of the trip.

Once back home, I got the kids to bed, then fished the basket out of the washer, squeegeed the back with the face against a ferrotype sheet to get the worst of the water off, them placed them into a blotter roll.

My little guy got up around 4:30 this morning to go to the bathroom, and I got up to give him a hand. I'll do anything to get him clear of pull up diapers and into underwear for overnight sleeping all the time, because then the nappie money will become photography money.

So while I was up I unloaded the blotter roll onto screens to accelerate the drying, and fished out the dry mount tissue and dry mount tacking iron and press to be ready for later. Back to bed until the alarm went off.

After mom was out the door to work, and the kids ready to go to school, I dry mounted the backer card to the prints. The curl in the old FB was wicked.

At lunch, trimmed the cards, applied stamps, and walked them to the post box in front of the office.

Black Dog
10-03-2008, 05:46 PM
All mine are already printed and I'll send them out when I get back to Derbyshire in a week or so.

rst
10-07-2008, 04:47 AM
Mike Wilde won the race to my mailbox. Thanks Mike, what a nice reminder to my summer vacation. I visited friends in Mississauga and from there I went on the QEW to Toronto. And thanks for trying out another old paper for us ;)

ciao
-- Ruediger

chriswawak
10-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Hey folks,

I am a newcomer to the analog world -- I've only fired up the old basement darkroom two or three times so far. So please, be gentle!

The paper, if anyone's wondering, is Kodabromide postcard paper, probably from some time in the late 1980s or early 1990s. I picked it up (only 25 cents a pound!) at the local darkroom store. It was my first foray into a graded paper, and it was quite a challenge getting something on the paper that actually looked interesting.

Anyhow, my prints should be out in the mail on Thursday. I hope you enjoy viewing them as much as I enjoyed making them.

BWKate
10-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Received Mike Wilde's slightly bent postcard. That was one thick paper, eh!
Interesting shot of traffic from an overpass. Spent a very productive day in the darkroom and finished printing all of my postcards. The writing part always takes me a little while but at least this round I'm ahead of my usual lateness. Have to print next round's as well as of Oct.24th I won't have my darkroom anymore. My group has to relocate our darkroom by the end of this month. I'm in shock and denial. (I LOVE THIS DARKROOM) This is going to be so hard but at least I get to spend a lot of quality time in there until it's gone.

drpsilver
10-10-2008, 11:32 PM
10 Oct 2008

Half of my cards are drying as I write this post. The other half will be printed by nights end. I would like to get the cards labeled and in the mail by the end of next week. (With some luck this could happen!)

Kate, I am sorry to hear that you will be without a darkroom.:( Is it possible to find another place to satisfy your need to be in a room lit by an amber light? I wish you the best in your search for a new place to print.

I received Mike Wilde's card. Mike certainly gets the award for "first out of the gate" this round. I really like to effect of diverging/converging traffic that lead the eye into the print. The "hanging lights" (street lights) in the sky give one the sense of UFO hovering above the road. Thanks for the card.

Regards,
Darwin

BWKate
10-11-2008, 01:23 AM
Thanks Darwin,
We're working on finding a new location. There's just no way I can survive without a darkroom. Not going to happen....

kraker
10-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Yes, round 15 has begun. Mike Wilde's was the first card to arrive. Great picture, great print. Great to see what can still be done with older paper. I like it a lot! A very good start of this round.

One more thing, a simple copy and paste from an earlier round (http://www.apug.org/forums/583498-post5.html): if you have some cards to spare and want to thank some (one, two or three) of the people who make this all possible, here's three suggestions:

Sean
P.O. Box 478
Whangaparaoa
Hibiscus Coast
New Zealand

Simon Galley
HARMAN technology Limited,
Town Lane,
Mobberley,
Knutsford,
CHESHIRE
WA16 7JL
UK

(Ask Simon why there's only 5 lines for addressing on the Ilford Postcard paper, when his address takes 8... ;) ) <-- sorry, couldn't resist...

Mary Jane Hellyar
President Film Products Group
Eastman Kodak Company
343 State Street
Rochester, New York 14650
USA

Remember, only if you want to; you will not be getting a postcard in return, but it's a nice gesture.

wazza
10-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Will send 30 cards today, balance out on Wednesday. My resistance went to zero when I heard about the new Fuji/Voigtlander 6x7 camera, anyone else in this round tempted?
Regards
Wazza

david b
10-12-2008, 04:50 PM
I received Mikes card yesterday and love it.

Unfortunately, the layers of paper have separated pretty badly.

hal9000
10-15-2008, 01:34 PM
I got a beautiful card today from David Goldfarb, thanks a million! A very quiet composition but still very dynamic due to the placement of the two main objects of interest. But you were not on my list, so I am not really sure why I got one from you and I didn't send you one. Aren't we supposed to get cards from the same people we are supposed to send them to? Anyway, mine went out today. I hope they arrive in decent shape. This time I made photograms, so each one is slightly different.

Hal

Mark Fisher
10-15-2008, 06:41 PM
All of mine went out Monday....I returned to the county fair series. Hope you enjoy it.

Mark

rst
10-15-2008, 11:44 PM
... from David Goldfarb, ... But you were not on my list, ... Aren't we supposed to get cards from the same people we are supposed to send them to?

Hi Hal, check your lists of earlier exchanges. David did not participate in this round, so this is a late comer. David sent out a note about this, but I do not remember of which round this card is.

And yes, you are on everyones list who is on your list. That is how my grouping algorithm works.

ciao
-- Ruediger

gordrob
10-16-2008, 01:12 AM
Received two postcards yesterday - one from David Goldfarb - beautiful Hawaii image (from a previous round) and a lovely picture of a beaver from JohnnyWalker. This round is off to a good start.

Gord

mooseontheloose
10-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Received two postcards with wonderful curving lines -- Mike Wilde's Gardiner Expressway, and Johnny Walker's beaver. Beautifully printed and a great start to this round!

Anke Drewitz
10-17-2008, 03:02 AM
From me the First Card Award in this round goes to:

johnnywalker: good luck with the next beaver for the leaks of your pond!

Thanks for this nice opening
Anke

kraker
10-17-2008, 03:26 AM
From me the First Card Award in this round goes to:

johnnywalker: good luck with the next beaver for the leaks of your pond!

For me, that's the second card award :). Thanks johnnywalker for the view of your pond, really well executed!

Valerie
10-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Mark Fisher's postcard made it to Texas. Super image!! Thanks Mark.