PDA

View Full Version : Let's try it? A Kodachrome Slide Exchange

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

gr82bart
10-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Hi Folks,

I don't know how popular or what the reaction to this idea would be but here goes ... what about a Kodachrome slide exchange? That's right exchange slides. Not prints. And they must be Kodachromes. Only Kodachromes.

If there is enough people that want to do this, we can have groups. People can take multiple slides of the same image or send everyone in their group slides with different images - whatever.

Maybe even a few folks who have never shot a Kodachrome in a long time or ever, can pick up a roll and do this for the heck of it.

Whaddayaallsay? Thoughts and feedback first. If there's enough positive feedback, then I can organize it too. Use the poll option - no fence sitters.

Regards, Art.

David A. Goldfarb
10-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Great idea. Time for some new bird photos. I'm in.

Stan160
10-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Good idea. Count me in
Ian

Ken Nadvornick
10-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Haven't participated in any of these "exchanges" before, so you guys might need to fill me in a bit. But if it's a Kodachrome-only activity, I'll give it a go. Wonderful film. Got a new roll on my desk looking at me right now, just begging for a good reason to be taken outside...

Ken

kraker
10-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Yes, sounds like fun!

reellis67
10-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Since my unexpected hiatus I've not done any exchanges, but this sounds interesting.

- Randy

Steve Smith
10-05-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm interested.

Steve.

kodachrome64
10-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8300: BlackBerry8300/4.5.0.55 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I'm interested in this as well.

bdial
10-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Sure, why not?

geoferrell
10-05-2008, 05:35 PM
I'd be interested, maybe it could have some approved right to print. I think it might be like a travelogue, from all over the world.

Iwagoshi
10-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Art,
Sounds like a gr8 idea but...to me it would be like giving your negatives away. With a print exchange at least you get to keep the soul of the image, the negative, but a slide exchange you'll be left with only the memory of what you shot. But on the other hand such an exchange would be substantially more significant, more meaningful.

Terry

MattKing
10-05-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm in.

I assume you are talking about a single slide, rather than a group exchange,.

Should be a bit cheaper to mail, as compared to the postcard and group exchanges :).

If anyone has a 6x6 or 6x4.5 Kodachrome slide they'd like to contribute to this, I've got a new (to me) medium format projector to try it out on :).

Matt

David A. Goldfarb
10-05-2008, 07:58 PM
I see it as being like the Polaroid exchange--you're giving away a one-of-a-kind work, and it is what it is. For the Polaroid Exchange I shot a series of 9 8x10" Polaroids, kept one for myself, and put one in the APUG Traveling Portfolio. This is even easier, because the film is cheap. I figure I'll just do one of my normal birding days, where I usually shoot around six rolls of film--maybe for this I'll shoot a bit more, but not by much--and for any good shot, I usually have a number of similar shots, and those are what I'll send out.

gr82bart
10-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Ditto what David said.

Do they still make Kodachrome in 120 rolls? I don't think so. I brought this idea up with the assumption that every participant would shoot 35mm.

Terry, I hear ya. Suck it up though and if you love Kodachrome, you'll set it free! :D

Looks like there may be a decent particpant list. OK keep signing up here and I will organize. How about we have to the end of October to sign up and I will make up the groups.

So far I have:

gr82bart
David A. Goldfarb
MattKing
Iwagoshi
geoferrell
bdial
kodachrome64
SteveSmith
reelis67
Kraker
Ken Nadvornick
Stan160

Also, I will call Dwayne's tomorrow and tell them about this exchange and see if they're willing to give us a discount or something on processing.

Regards, Art.

Ken Nadvornick
10-05-2008, 10:12 PM
So far I have:

gr82bart
David A. Goldfarb
MattKing
Iwagoshi
geoferrell
bdial
kodachrome64
SteveSmith
reelis67
Kraker
Ken Nadvornick
Stan160

Hmm... I see 10 individuals responded positively to the poll... ;)

Ken

kraker
10-06-2008, 02:53 AM
I'm in.

I assume you are talking about a single slide, rather than a group exchange,.

Should be a bit cheaper to mail, as compared to the postcard and group exchanges :).

Matt

Hm, that's not what I assumed. Art, enlighten us... My thought was: if 36 people sign up (and we don't make groups), then I can shoot one roll of K64 (assuming all shots will be worth to look at, ahum...), send 35 slides to 35 participants and keep the 36th for myself.

If it's only one slide that I have to send and only one that I will receive, then I doubt whether I would participate.

gr82bart
10-06-2008, 04:37 AM
It would be a group exchange people. It wouldn't be just 1 slide and I doubt it would be 35 slides too. Somewhere closer to 4 or 5 slides probably.

Regards, Art.

keeds
10-06-2008, 05:56 AM
Does anyone know if you can get Kodachrome processed without mounting? Are XPan or Mamiya 7 35mm pano's of any use in this exchange?

Stan160
10-06-2008, 07:31 AM
Keeds, as far as I remember the process-paid envelopes that come with the film sold in Europe don't offer any options regarding mounted/unmounted or scanning to CD. Maybe if you sent direct to Dwaynes, but that would involve paying twice for processing or buying the film from the US.

Incidentally, Art, have you thought of announcing this exchange on the forums at http://www.kodachromeproject.com ? Probably a lot of user overlap between there and APUG, but it might interest a few more participants.

Ian

David A. Goldfarb
10-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Most mailers have a place for special instructions, and I think if you just wrote "do not cut," they should be able to accommodate you. It's not such an unusual request, since there are others shooting 35mm panoramic formats and some prefer unmounted transparencies both for enlarging and scanning.