PDA

View Full Version : "Photostock 2009" - The 4th Annual Northern Michigan Photographer's Gathering

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15

jmxphoto
06-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Just a quick note for anyone that uses flickr. Bill set up a group for images taken at Photostock (this as well as past years'):
http://www.flickr.com/groups/photostock/

Jeff Bannow
06-29-2009, 09:35 AM
With so much going on Saturday, I forgot who got my Tridge photo in the print swap! If you ended up with it, please PM me and let me know.

smieglitz
06-29-2009, 10:32 AM
If anyone has contact info for the two women in this photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmxphoto/3669677681/in/pool-photostock), could you please PM me with it? I made a few ambrotypes of the mother on her birthday Saturday during a wetplate demo and I'd like to mail the plates to them once the processing is finished. Any help in contacting them would be appreciated as I did not get their names.

Thanks,

Joe

Jeff Bannow
06-29-2009, 10:37 AM
If anyone has contact info for the two women in this photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmxphoto/3669677681/in/pool-photostock), could you please PM me with it? I made a few ambrotypes of the mother on her birthday Saturday during a wetplate demo and I'd like to mail the plates to them once the processing is finished. Any help in contacting them would be appreciated as I did not get their names.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe,

That's Chris and her mother is Angie. I'll send you a PM with her email address.

smieglitz
06-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks Jeff. That'll be great.

deisenlord
06-29-2009, 10:52 AM
What a wonderful week. The workshops were great and I was on a lucky streak; I drew Chris Pratt's wonderful photograph in the print exchange and won Sheby's book!

It was great to see old friends and meet new ones.

Thank you Bill for a great event and I hope your feeling better soon.
Ike

Jerry Basierbe
06-29-2009, 11:01 AM
As Ike said it was great to see some old friends and meet some new ones. I only made to a few
of the events but still managed to meet some new friends.
As usual it was a great event.
Thanks Bill.

Jerry

CGross
06-29-2009, 12:03 PM
An incredible week!! I got to meet lots of new friends, catch up with many good friends, share some stories over bourbon and beers, listen to Steve and Dan play some tunes, and see some very beautiful prints. All I can say about the prints everyone shared on Saturday is WOW! This event was the highlight of my year!

The workshops were awesome! Ike and Kerik thank you for all of the information you both shared throughout the event. For us beginners, seeing these two work the digital negative, platinum printing and wet plate processes was amazing. The carbon workshop with Sandy was indescribable! Thank you Sandy for sharing with us your carbon prints and years of carbon printing knowledge. Left me breathless!

Bill, as many have said, Thank You for your tireless efforts in making this year unforgettable. We may never know just how many hours you spent pulling Photostock 2009 together. Unfortunately we know how much back pain you can take :( I sure hope it gets better quickly.

Best wishes to everyone and hopefully I'll get to experience 2010!
Cody Gross

Andrew Moxom
06-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Ditto what everyone has said so far. It was a great event with many things on the agenda this time. Kudos to Bill who worked many hours to get things arranged and who made sure everything was running correctly even though he suffered with his back throughout the event. What a great group of folks all of you are! Cannot wait to see the images of all the different interpretations of this wonderful area. Also thanks to Ike and Kerik for really expalining the palladium process. I think it maybe in my future!! I cannot wait until Next year.A.

Kerik
06-29-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm back in Cali trying to get back into the Pacific Time Zone. What a great week!! A busy, busy week for sure, but it was a great time. So nice to finally meet many APUGers for the first time. Bill has a great thing going on and I'm lucky to be a part of it. I'm expecting next year will be even better with more workshops, tours, and good times. I especially enjoyed spending time with Andy, Daniel Lin, Jeff and Eva, Steve Zimmerman (one FUNNY dude with serious guitar skills), Cody, Travis, Chris Pratt, Paul Armstrong, Bob Carnie, etc. And big thanks to those of you who helped schlep stuff back and forth without even being asked. There is definitely a great community spirit surrounding this event that makes the name Photostock seem so appropriate. There were lots of wonderful prints to see - I've been a fan of Andy and Daniel's work for years so it was a treat to finally see them in person. The best non-photo tip I learned was from Travis: Repel Eucalyptus/lemon oil mosquito repellent. Deet free and it really works! Unfortunately, there were a couple times I didn't put it on when shooting by the lake and I'm still itching... But I hear Bill is going to have all the mosquitoes removed by next year! :D Also BIG thanks to Ike for teaching with me and surviving the Schwab Sweat Lodge Darkroom :) And of course thanks to Bill having the tenacity and kinetic nature to make it all happen. I hope you're feeling better soon. Your pain gave a whole new meaning to the phrase "I got your back, buddy".

Oh, and Shelby was a great addition to the scene. He gave insightful comments to those who were lucky enough to get their prints in front of him and his presentation saturday night was certainly enlightening. Finally, kudos to Dave Boutette a very talented singer/songwriter friend of Bill's who played a great set of tunes prior to Shelby's presentation.

I've already got Photostock 2010 on my calendar...

dlin
06-30-2009, 03:08 PM
I want to thank everyone for the great time I had at Photostock 2009. What a pleasure to see old friends and to make new ones. The portfolio sharing afternoon was awesome, as usual, and an inspiration to continue working through to next year's Photostock. Shelby's prints and presentation were excellent and his compassion for humanity was clearly evident, regardless of any controversy around his work.

Bill's efforts to pull this together despite his gimpy back were truly heroic- he deserves a standing ovation and plenty of time off to recover.

Thank you all again and see you next year,
Daniel

billschwab
06-30-2009, 04:33 PM
I've already got Photostock 2010 on my calendar...Thanks to all of you that have written with positive reviews of the event! I'm so happy everyone had a good time considering I've been feeling as if I dropped the ball there near the end when the pain got the better of me. It just goes to show you that it is the people that make the event. All I do is create the space and a framework, it is all of you who have made it what it has become and Kerik summed up the reasons quite well.

I was finally able to fold myself into the car last night for the drive back to Detroit and had a lot of time to go over the week in my mind. As the miles ticked away, I realized more and more what a fine time I had! It is such a great way to recharge and gain inspiration. As others have already said, the quality and level of work was stunning. So many fine shooters in one place. And considering the high level of talent in one room, it is so refreshing to see that egos seem to be automatically checked at the door.

I've also identified several areas where things could be made better, one of which is no surprise.. the fact I can no longer continue this as a one man show. I am very thankful for all the offers that have been coming in to help with future Photostocks and I will take you up on them where I can. However, there are certain aspects that I simply cannot ask others to do without some sort of remuneration. For this reason, I have begun to put together a team that will be integral in putting this together in the future. I've now been getting all kinds of outside interest in the event and I don't want to blow it by continuing to try to go it alone.

I am putting together a committee of sorts to handle various aspects of the event and although I am courting a few people that will remain unnamed at this time, Kerik Kouklis has been kind enough (read crazy enough) to take on the workshop aspect of Photostock 2010. The four shops we ran this year were very popular and very successful and we feel it would be a good idea to expand and refine them for next year. It is a big task putting them all together and I am confident that with his past experience leading workshops far and wide, he is the right person for the job. Kerik will be in charge of logistics, hiring instructors, assistants, etc. We are also talking with the owner of the Birchwood who has expressed interest in creating facilities onsite where we can hold more of the workshops. More on this as it "develops". :) I've also had interest from some willing to do portfolio reviews and career consultation, so we are exploring this aspect as well.

In the weeks to come, look for a new thread in my sponsor forum concerning 2010 where we will be asking for suggestions of instructors, presenters and other aspects you'd like to see for future gatherings.

For now, mark your calendars for June 18 - 27, 2010 and we'll do it all again!

Thanks again everyone!

Bill

Toffle
06-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks, Bill.
No, you shouldn't do it all, but we couldn't do it without you. My hat is off to you.
2010 is marked on my calendar. (and counting down on my website... :) )

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Cheers,

Marek Warunkiewicz
06-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Hey Bill! Thanks for an amazing time. If I continue throwing my accolades for what you accomplished it'll start sound way too weird. I think you accomplished your usual magic. Last time you showed me a new way of seeing, this time you brought a bunch of people together who made a lot of us happy and ambitious to start and explore new things. I am in all the way fro 2010. I also meant it when I said I wanted to help organize the next event. Kerik, thanks for your involvement. Mr. Smiegel, what an inspiration. Truly a generous soul with your time and observations. How's the back? Mine is a bit better, lots of meds, finally able to move freely after ten days of utter yuckiness. Also, thanks to all the wonderful participants. People who I hope will be friends. Cynthia(s), Judy, Jeff and Eva, Joe, Kerik and Ike, Rick, Bob, Ted and others who just made me (and I think all of us) like people on a mission together. You have put a great thing together.

Gim
07-01-2009, 07:55 AM
I have not come down from the high yet and have marked my calendar for next year. Would not want to miss it...a great week with interesting and wonderful people. Thanks Bill

Jim

ishutteratthethought
07-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks Bill for one of the most memorable, enjoyable get-togethers I have ever been a part of. I commend you for your efforts by pulling this together. It was a pleasure to meet you as well as meet the faces behind the photos I have seen posted on APUG over time……plus to actually go and shoot with some of these folks was priceless. The amount of talent at the event was incredible!
I am definitely looking forward to next year.
Thanks to all of you!
Steve

BirgerA
07-01-2009, 12:16 PM
I'll join in on the positive feedback. I really enjoyed myself, and got a lot of inspiration from looking at the work everybody else brought with them. In addition to this, and probably even more important was (is) the enthusiasm everybody showed for their craft. This gives a lot of positive energy that I hope that I can maintain and keep going on once I get back to Norway.

Best regards

Birger A.

Marc Akemann
07-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Coleen, Camille and I stayed in the Cross Village area an extra couple of days and finally arrived home late Monday. Although I was only around for Thurs., Fri., & Saturday, it was a blast. Getting together annually with fellow APUG'rs at Bill's shindig is now a top photographic priority for me. Meeting new people like Garin, Kerik, Birger, Steve and others was awesome. Bill, I hope your back is getting better and that you never have to suffer through that ever again.

Having Shelby Lee Adams was just tremendous. He's a really great guy and I love his Appalachian project and style of photography. Adams' presentation in Petosky was most excellent.

I'm on my way to the lab to pick up my film and will upload a few Photostock documentary pics as soon I'm done scanning them (probably late tonight or tomorrow morning). Please feel free to post names to the nameless. I'm terrible with names. I'll post photos on this site under 'Gallery - Workshops & Get Togethers'. I'll also upload to the Photostock '09 Group on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/groups/photostock/ .

My calendar is blocked out for Photostock 2010, June 18 through the 27th. And this time I'm going to take in a couple of workshops.

Great job, Bill! See you at Blissfest.

Marc

Travis Nunn
07-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Just thought I'd let you guys know.... I have found 2 places in the Richmond area where I can get me some Oberon! One bar, one store (which also sells the mini kegs). I'm happy!

Jeff Bannow
07-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Just thought I'd let you guys know.... I have found 2 places in the Richmond area where I can get me some Oberon! One bar, one store (which also sells the mini kegs). I'm happy!

Nice! It is the best beer ever made.