PDA

View Full Version : "Photostock 2009" - The 4th Annual Northern Michigan Photographer's Gathering

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Gim
10-10-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm planning on being there. Highlight of the year for me.
Jim

jamie young
10-10-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm hoping to be there as well, from central NY this time. I'm planning on heading through Canada this year, after the move.

blaze-on
10-11-2008, 01:10 AM
I want to be there...
I need to be there...
I have no idea if I can be there...
I'm a last minute kind of guy

wildbill
10-11-2008, 01:21 AM
C'mon guys, it's Pellston with two L's. "The Ice Box of the Nation" also Home of the "Hornets" or "Potato Pickers"
I'd like to make it too. If I can get someone to sponsor my trip, I'll be there.
vinny

Fintan
10-11-2008, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the advice.
It looks like via Chicago is best for me, any advice travelling via Chicago/OHare to the venue?

jamie young
10-11-2008, 07:17 AM
chicago is a good long distance, and you'll want to find a closer airport for your final flight. The drive around the north side of the lake would be around 8 hours plus as a rough estimate. Might be shorter around the southeast and through lower michigan. Don't know about public transportation. I'm guessing it would be a variety of different buses. Detroit would be a much better ending point than Chicago, but others would know the details on that.

Dan Henderson
10-11-2008, 08:10 AM
Fintan: Jamie is close on the travel time from Chicago to Cross Village. Your best bet would probably be to rent a car at O'Hare and drive up. Or you can take the train from Amtrak to Holland (Michigan) and ride up from here with me.

North Light Press
10-11-2008, 09:25 AM
C'mon guys, it's Pellston with two L's.Thanks Vinny! I actually know that, but in a moment of weakness changed it after seeing John's spelling. Doh!!!

BTW Vinny.... The colors are spectacular! Your parents were right... the reds are incredible this year! Heading out as we speak. Jerry Basierbe and his wife are up here in Mackinaw this weekend and I'm going to go see if I can find them.

Toffle
10-11-2008, 09:40 AM
I want to be there...
I need to be there...
I have no idea if I can be there...
I'm a last minute kind of guy

Hope you can be there too.

smieglitz
10-11-2008, 10:35 AM
... The colors are spectacular! Your parents were right... the reds are incredible this year!...

Have the colors peaked around there yet? I was thinking of heading up that way next weekend.

What do those yellows and reds look like in wetplate?

Joe

jd callow
10-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the advice.
It looks like via Chicago is best for me, any advice traveling via Chicago/OHare to the venue?

You might be able to fly into Minneapolis and get a connection to Pellston. I suspect that Northwest will be the only service to Pellston and Minnieapolis is a Northwest hub.

FWIW the drive up the state can be entertaining if you head for the west coast and make a day or even two of it. This might make Chicago a reasonable starting point. I can give you some good points of interest. If this is your one and only visit to Michigan there are some things you really should see: Sleeping bear dunes (I can direct you to a secret beach), Tahquamenon Falls, pictured rocks and even Ludington needs to be seen (it has an incredible beach where the sand squeaks under your feet). The interior of the state and not too far from Bills place are some great canoeing and kayaking (no rapids). Possibly my favorite place in all of the lower P is Art's Tavern in Glen Arbor (http://www.artsglenarbor.com/).

jp80874
10-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks Vinny! I actually know that, but in a moment of weakness changed it after seeing John's spelling. Doh!!!

Oh sure, its my fault. Try to help a fellow Irishman and look how we are treated. No Irish need apply.

John Powers, child of Powers and O'Grady :p

Fintan
10-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks for all that info, I appreciate it. I have been planning the Brits and Yanks invade 09 also but the timing might conflict with several things sadly. If I cant make Toronto I'll see you guys in Michigan. I wont know for some time yet for sure and want to be ready to book whichever one I can make.

Both events are so superb, you guys are so lucky to have them so close!!

Photographica
10-13-2008, 02:49 AM
I'll be watching this thread closely over the next nine months as I deeply regretted missing the first three events. Maybe I can get one or two fellow Midwest Large Format Asylum (MWLFA) members to ride up with me.

Bill Riley

Jerry Basierbe
10-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Have the colors peaked around there yet? I was thinking of heading up that way next weekend.

Hi Joe. I just got back last night. The colors were great. I would say that last weekend was peak, but I would imagine it should still be real nice this weekend too.

Jerry

arcman
10-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Hey All...I'm already there waiting...can't wait to see you all again. Joe, as Jerry said the colors probably peaked last weekend and the wind/rain of this early a.m. more than likely brought alot of leaves down...but hey it's still Bliss! If you're up on Saturday, stop by - dinner at 5 - fire to follow.
-Don

jamie young
11-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Still have to develop the cirkut, I did just post the 2008 color group photo in the gallery, with a link to a bigger version on my web site.
Looking forward to next year
Jamie

gr82bart
11-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Awesome that PhotoStock is 10 days and the Origami USA convention is only 3 days. I can now go to both!

Regards, Art.

Travis Nunn
11-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Well Art, if you're going I'm gonna have to go to this one, too.

winger
11-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Well, I really hope I can make it and hang out with some real photographers who understand B&W, etc.. (unlike a certain photo club). I just look forward to shooting with you guys and seeing what you've done. I'd better be able to make it!