PDA

View Full Version : "Photostock 2009" - The 4th Annual Northern Michigan Photographer's Gathering

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Mark Fisher
11-18-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm -----reallly------ going to be there this year with my pop up camper. I'm assuming there is someplace to camp with a trailer. It is one long drive from here, but managable.

Looking forward to meeting many of you -- Mark

Chazzy
11-19-2008, 03:34 AM
I'm not much interested in landscape photography, but the workshops sound interesting, and meeting some of the people from APUG would be wonderful.

jmxphoto
12-01-2008, 12:53 PM
I'll be there. With my newly expanded family I won't be able to do the whole week again but I've been cleared for the weekend and I'll do what I can to make that a 3-day ;-)

Can't wait to see what everyone's been up to and I'm looking forward to meeting more folks!

North Light Press
12-01-2008, 01:58 PM
I'm assuming there is someplace to camp with a trailer.Hi Mark, I'm still planning on having camping at the main site, but it will be limited. There are a couple spots where a small camper or RV could be parked, but the place is more geared to tents. I'm looking into other arrangements for people with trailers and motor homes. There will be a registration process yet to come and space can be reserved then. I'm still working on putting things together and hope to have things pretty nailed down early in the new year. Thanks for the interest everyone!

Bill

Mark Fisher
12-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Hi Mark, I'm still planning on having camping at the main site, but it will be limited. There are a couple spots where a small camper or RV could be parked, but the place is more geared to tents. I'm looking into other arrangements for people with trailers and motor homes. There will be a registration process yet to come and space can be reserved then. I'm still working on putting things together and hope to have things pretty nailed down early in the new year. Thanks for the interest everyone!

Bill

If there is no place nearby for a camper, I can tent it or sleep in the back of my car.

Thanks -- Mark

Jeff Bannow
12-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Eva & I will plan on being there next year. Can't wait, and I sure hope you offer a wet plate workshop as well.

North Light Press
01-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Hello All,

I wanted to update things and bring people up to speed on plans for this year. It looks so far as if we'll be having workshops with Kerik Kouklis in gum-over platinum as well as in alternative negative creation for alt processes. Sandy King will be doing one in carbon printing and Joe Smigiel and I will be doing a 3 day beginners wet plate workshop again this year. I am currently working on a couple other offerings for earlier in the week as well, but will wait for confirmations before making announcements.

As I had mentioned earlier, much of this year's event will center at the Birchwood Inn and their beautiful facilities there. This will make us a little less weather contingent and save those staying there a lot of driving. I'm also happy to announce that I have been working with the Crooked Tree Arts Council (http://www.crookedtree.org/) in Petoskey, Michigan and they have offered use of a darkroom on their premises and I am exploring doing a printing and toning workshop during the week as well.

Registration (http://www.northlightworkshops.com/workshops/register_form.html) is now open at the website for those interested in attending. For now it is nothing more than an RSVP of sorts letting us know how many might be interested in attending. When workshops are scheduled, you will be given ample opportuntity to register for them at that time. There is no fee or commitment involved at this time although I am sorry to say there might be a modest and nominal fee for basic registration this year. This would be used to cover facility fees, organizational help, etc. The party is changing and getting bigger and there will be a few more costs involved, but I will continue to do my best to make it the creatively rewarding and socially fulfilling event it has become.

If interested, please respond (http://www.northlightworkshops.com/workshops/register_form.html) soon so we know who you are. There is a lot of planning ahead and June is going to come awful fast. We also will have a discount with the Birchwood Inn (http://www.birchwoodinn.com)for rooms, so I suggest contacting them and reserving your room now. It will cost you nothing at this time and will assure you have a place to stay.

Think Summer!!

Bill Schwab

Travis Nunn
01-16-2009, 08:42 PM
I've RSVP'd.

North Light Press
01-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Cool Travis! It will be good to see you again.

Bill

Toffle
01-16-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm in.

winger
01-16-2009, 11:26 PM
I'm in. How long I can actually be there will depend on how long my neighbor can put up with my dogs. But I'm hoping for at least the last 4-5 days.

Thomas Bertilsson
01-16-2009, 11:34 PM
RSVP'd. I am really looking forward to seeing everybody again.

- Thomas

CGross
01-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Sent off the RSVP...! Can't wait!

David Brown
01-17-2009, 11:59 AM
I wa seriously considering "crashing" this Midwestern gathering (from Texas) because of its informal nature, It seems as if a group got together, talked a little shop, made some pictures and basically shared much as we do online, but in person. Now, it seems to be getting more formal and workshop oriented. Am I reading this wrong?

North Light Press
01-17-2009, 04:21 PM
It seems as if a group got together, talked a little shop, made some pictures and basically shared much as we do online, but in person. Now, it seems to be getting more formal and workshop oriented. Am I reading this wrong?You're certainly not reading it wrong David. The dilemma for me is that like you, each year more people want to attend and I'm not one that wants to pick and choose who can come. Last year there were somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 people "crashing" the party and logistically there is a lot that goes into putting on an informal gathering of that size. Don't get me wrong as I love meeting people and hanging out, but it is a lot of work. For instance, in less than 24 hours since opening registration, I have had over 30 RSVP's and over half of them are new people. Whether unfortunate or not, I feel it is now at a point where it is either grow it and involve others with an eye on keeping the informal and social feel of the event, or let it die. Having had a great time at the last 3, I'm not willing to let it die just yet.

What I am hoping to do in expanding it is to set up activities and workshops earlier in the 10 day stretch for those that wish to attend early, learn something new and spend more time experiencing the area. There are no workshops planned for the final weekend, just some demos, presentations and portfolio sharing like always. Those that wish to come, meet people, do some shooting and hang out still can and I am hoping this part will not change from the way you have perceived things to be.

Thanks David.

Bill

Jeff Bannow
01-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Eva & I will be there, and can't wait to see you all again. Glad to hear you are going to make it Bethe - it's a great time!

Jeff Bannow
01-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Bill - forgot to say that I'm definitely in for the wet plate workshop this year. Mmm .... ether ....

North Light Press
01-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Great Jeff! Consider a spot reserved. There will be more information to come on the workshops soon, but figure the 19th - 21st for the beginning wet plate. That will be the kickoff. Friday night for getting acquainted and setting up camp, plate making Saturday and Sunday!

df cardwell
01-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Hey, Bill

I'll be up for SOME of it ! I'll start shopping for some campfire bourbon ASAP.

d

jd callow
01-17-2009, 06:16 PM
I'd like to be there and may yet find a way.