PDA

View Full Version : "Photostock 2009" - The 4th Annual Northern Michigan Photographer's Gathering

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

North Light Press
01-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Although arrangements are still being made, It's a pleasure to announce that Shelby Lee Adams has agreed to join us at Photostock this year and give a talk, slide presentation and do a book signing! As it now stands, he will be giving the presentation and slide show on the final evening of the event, Saturday June, 27.

More announcements and an initial schedule will be coming over the next couple of weeks. I hope you'll be able to join us for what is shaping up to be a good year!

Bill

Mayfair710
01-17-2009, 10:55 PM
don't know how i missed the initial announcement but having just seen this latest update, i have RSVP'd and will be there for some of the days for sure. sounds like some great new additions to the event! thanks bill..

~~marianne

jd callow
01-18-2009, 12:28 AM
Shelby Lee Adams is a first rate addition.

jmxphoto
01-19-2009, 05:21 PM
You're certainly not reading it wrong David. The dilemma for me is that like you, each year more people want to attend and I'm not one that wants to pick and choose who can come. Last year there were somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 people "crashing" the party and logistically there is a lot that goes into putting on an informal gathering of that size. Don't get me wrong as I love meeting people and hanging out, but it is a lot of work. For instance, in less than 24 hours since opening registration, I have had over 30 RSVP's and over half of them are new people. Whether unfortunate or not, I feel it is now at a point where it is either grow it and involve others with an eye on keeping the informal and social feel of the event, or let it die. Having had a great time at the last 3, I'm not willing to let it die just yet.

What I am hoping to do in expanding it is to set up activities and workshops earlier in the 10 day stretch for those that wish to attend early, learn something new and spend more time experiencing the area. There are no workshops planned for the final weekend, just some demos, presentations and portfolio sharing like always. Those that wish to come, meet people, do some shooting and hang out still can and I am hoping this part will not change from the way you have perceived things to be.

Thanks David.

Bill

Prophetic that Woodstock was a victim of its own success? I think it's completely possible to harness the good will the event creates to deligate responsibility and make it worth your while. I can also understand that while we photographers can be social people, having 50 people running around your place for a week looking to you for direction or even just interaction can be a lot.

I think there are enough returning p-stockers to help the noobs find the fun spots to photograph. Perhaps to help alleviate the "What should we do now?" syndrome, we could collect the addresses or coordinates of the fun spots for those with GPS's. It could be compiled and annotated into a list and posted as a pdf. Heck, I'd be willing to start that up!

-James

Toffle
01-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Perhaps Marc and Mark could be convinced to retrace their daring trek through the Precambrian forests of Wormwood Lane. :D

On a more serious note, I am more than willing to do whatever is necessary to share some of the tasks which threaten to over burden this wonderful event.

Cheers,

Lee L
01-19-2009, 06:17 PM
I think there are enough returning p-stockers to help the noobs find the fun spots to photograph. Perhaps to help alleviate the "What should we do now?" syndrome, we could collect the addresses or coordinates of the fun spots for those with GPS's. It could be compiled and annotated into a list and posted as a pdf. Heck, I'd be willing to start that up!

-James
Perhaps a public google map would be in order. There is software for downloading google map data and then uploading to a GPS, and others without a GPS could just print out the maps or view them online over wireless hotel or fast food connections while in the area. The maps can also generate routing instructions. You could also make a private google map and hand out the URL on a thread here at APUG or by PM.

Lee

TheFlyingCamera
01-19-2009, 06:21 PM
no promises yet, but I'd like to come. will depend on arrangements for APIS which is also this summer.

jp80874
01-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Perhaps a public google map would be in order. There is software for downloading google map data and then uploading to a GPS, and others without a GPS could just print out the maps or view them online over wireless hotel or fast food connections while in the area. The maps can also generate routing instructions. You could also make a private google map and hand out the URL on a thread here at APUG or by PM.

Lee

Bill,

Lee did this for the NE OH gathering and many found it helpful. I am embarrassed to say I doubted its usefulness, but the response from attendees was very positive.

Last summer you had several 2nd and 3rd timers take people out to favorite spots. Did that lighten the load for you any?

John Powers

jmxphoto
01-20-2009, 12:42 AM

Lee

Great idea! Well, let's have the rubber meet the road and make this happen. I got it started:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=101652133133875509042.000460e2867821ec7d8fe

It's not publicly editable so if you want something added, just PM me. :D

North Light Press
01-20-2009, 02:38 AM
Last summer you had several 2nd and 3rd timers take people out to favorite spots. Did that lighten the load for you any? Sure did John. It was great that there were veterans that took the time to show others around last year and it was a huge help.

I had a great time last year! I'm certainly not complaining and nothing is in danger of collapsing under its own weight. The event is actually becoming more I what I had originally envisioned. A yearly, regional gathering with a wide and changing variety of offerings to expand our experience with photography. Unfortunately with the growth it is getting beyond what the facilities on my property can handle until I get a workshop facility up. Throw in more rain like last year and we're in trouble. It made me realize I needed a back-up plan and I think centering the bigger group activities at the Birchwood makes the best sense. It was also one of the most mentioned suggestions last year as people grew tired of the drive back and forth. As always, people will be able to pick and choose what they want to do and make of the event what they will.

I really appreciate offers of help for this year and I'm sure I will ask on down the line, but for now everything is well under control. I just now got back from a couple days spent in Petoskey working out some details with both the Birchwood and the Crooked tree Arts Center. They've given me access to a great darkroom and workshop space for the week leading up and beyond. I had a long conversation today with Shelby Lee Adams and he is really excited to come up and join us. He is actually going to interrupt his shooting schedule in Kentucky to come up for a break before returning to finish his schedule and head back to his home in MA. All is shaping up and I plan to have things very well organized.

Thanks for starting the map James! I really enjoyed the one Lee made for John's gathering and did find it very useful. There will also be maps this year in everyone's registration packet.

More to come.

Bill

blaze-on
01-20-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm still contemplating a road trip..hope it can work out.
I enjoyed last year and this year sounds awesome. Good work Mr. Bill...

Andrew Moxom
01-20-2009, 10:46 AM
I've RSVP'd and will be there Bill! Let me know if you need me to help with anything??

Toffle
01-20-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm still contemplating a road trip..hope it can work out.
I enjoyed last year and this year sounds awesome. Good work Mr. Bill...

I hope to see you there this year, Matt.... Andrew, too.

Cheers,

Toffle
01-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Question... have the plans to drain O'neal Lake gone into action, or is the site still available? I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I just started printing my negs from that trip this evening. So far, I have two lovely prints that are enough to make me want to return to that site.

Can't wait to load up the car...

Cheers,

BirgerA
01-21-2009, 09:37 AM
I'll be in the area around this time, and will see if I can make arrangements to drop by.

Regards

Birger A.

wildbill
01-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Question... have the plans to drain O'neal Lake gone into action, or is the site still available? I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I just started printing my negs from that trip this evening. So far, I have two lovely prints that are enough to make me want to return to that site.

Can't wait to load up the car...

Cheers,

When I returned home in August I was very disappointed to discover that they installed a gate at the road into the place. The sign said "Area closed due to excessive tripod holes surrounding the lake."

Toffle
01-21-2009, 04:20 PM
When I returned home in August I was very disappointed to discover that they installed a gate at the road into the place. The sign said "Area closed due to excessive tripod holes surrounding the lake."
Damn! :mad: :D I knew I shouldn't have let Marc use my tripod. (I thought it might have had something to do with the embarrassment of pasty white legs wading along the shore. :rolleyes:)

um... seriously, is the lake still accessible? I would really like to spend some time there again.

Cheers,

bill schwab
01-21-2009, 04:45 PM
um... seriously, is the lake still accessible? I would really like to spend some time there again.The last time I was there was in November and it was still a lake. :) As far as I heard there was such an outcry from the locals that the DNR has suspended drawing it down until further study. Many of the locals know that place far better than the DNR folks and convinced them to hold off.

North Light Press
01-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Vinny had sent me something on this before, so I checked the Petoskey News/Review website and found the following story/video stating the DNR was "backing off" on the O'Neal Lake draw-down.

http://www.petoskeynews.com/articles/2008/02/12/news/doc47b19849710fc399619533.txt

Andrew Moxom
01-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Birchwood Inn.... FYI, I got one of the 4 closet rooms at the Birchwood reserved. There are 3 left :-) Get them while they are available!!! Go "In the Closet" so to speak :-)