PDA

View Full Version : "Photostock 2009" - The 4th Annual Northern Michigan Photographer's Gathering

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Toffle
01-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the tip... I'll be booking this evening.

smieglitz
01-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Vinny had sent me something on this before, so I checked the Petoskey News/Review website and found the following story/video stating the DNR was "backing off" on the O'Neal Lake draw-down.

http://www.petoskeynews.com/articles/2008/02/12/news/doc47b19849710fc399619533.txt

There's a link on that article page for uploading photographs of O'Neal Lake. Maybe a few nice pics by ape huggers would help the cause.

Joe

jp80874
01-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Birchwood Inn.... FYI, I got one of the 4 closet rooms at the Birchwood reserved. There are 3 left :-) Get them while they are available!!! Go "In the Closet" so to speak :-)

You ain't been cozy until you have unloaded and loaded 7x17 film holders or larger in the bathroom of the closet on the west side of the buildings. The sun streams in until way late. The bead spread can be used on the curtain hangers to block light, but only after they have crashed to the floor a few times. The sink is smaller than the one on our 24' boat. If you are not a boater and this doesn't mean anything, then think of it as a sink where you can wash your glasses, one lens at a time. The bed was comfortable and clean except the day they forgot about the room. What the heck, you didn't go there to spend time in your room.

John Powers

Travis Nunn
01-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Birchwood Inn.... FYI, I got one of the 4 closet rooms at the Birchwood reserved. There are 3 left :-) Get them while they are available!!! Go "In the Closet" so to speak :-)

I just got the last one.

Jeff Bannow
01-26-2009, 01:22 PM
The Levering Inn was a good clean place to stay last year as well. Friendly and cheaper than the Birchwood for those who are looking for it.

North Light Press
01-26-2009, 02:12 PM
Glad to hear everyone is getting some space booked. As Jeff said, the Levering Motel is a clean, no frills place.

http://www.leveringmotel.com/

There's also the Best Western in Harbor Springs (http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-330799-best_western_of_harbor_springs-i?fromiy=1)... Unfortunately the Birchwood is the only one I have discount arrangements with at this time. There are also a ton of places to stay up the road in Mackinaw City. You're a little farther away, but no lack of a variety of price ranges there.

I am also looking into rental properties in the area where several people can rent a house or cottage together.

There is a newsletter that will start going out soon to all that have registered and I will make more detailed lodging information available there. There are also more area links of interest on the registration (http://www.northlightworkshops.com/workshops/michigan_gathering/index.html) page.

Toffle
01-26-2009, 03:17 PM
I just got the last one.
Drat! :D

Oh well, he who hesitates pays $30 more, I guess. As it is, my work schedule is taking a small bite out of my travel plans, so I'll be arriving a day later than I'd hoped. I'll be there for the weekend at any rate. I can't wait to join in the frivolities. :D

Cheers,

jmxphoto
01-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Isn't there a (rough lookin) motel or two in Cross Village?

wildbill
01-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Isn't there a (rough lookin) motel or two in Cross Village?

That hasn't been open for at least 15 years.

jmxphoto
01-27-2009, 12:55 PM
That hasn't been open for at least 15 years.

Yikes! Scratch that idea. I'll only be spending a couple nights there, I may just crash in my Jeep then.

Andrew Moxom
01-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Vinny, I know that Ike and his wife Ann stayed in a B&B in Cross Village. Not sure about the rates or where it was. Could be another option?

jmxphoto
01-27-2009, 02:38 PM
If anyone's interested in renting a large house in the area (2mi south of Cross Village) and making a family vacation out of the gathering, I can get you the info for a place that sleeps 8 on the beach that runs about $2k/week. Don't know about its availability, pm me if interested.

Bob Carnie
02-05-2009, 05:16 PM
I booked for the week and got the same room as last year, We are looking forward to this , the Birchwood is a great location.
I am very excited to attend Shelby Lee Adams lecture and a couple of the workshops the week before.

Jerry Basierbe
02-25-2009, 08:31 AM
A room at the Birchwood Inn for Photostock just opened up.

Jerry

Mayfair710
02-25-2009, 09:17 AM
:) thanks jerry..i just got the room, if it was a closet room..i reserved it for thurs, friday, and saturday. thanks for posting!
~~marianne

Jerry Basierbe
02-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Hi Marianne,
That was it. Glad you got it. I didn't think it would last long.

Jerry

Toffle
02-25-2009, 12:03 PM
A room at the Birchwood Inn for Photostock just opened up.

Jerry

What's up, Jerry? Are you out, or was this some other room?

Me, I got one of the bigger rooms... Just wish I could get up there sooner.

Cheers,
Tom

North Light Press
02-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Hi Everyone!

Glad you're getting your rooms booked.

I just spoke with the people at the Birchwood and they are really happy to be of service. We've booked our meeting rooms, workshop space and everyone is getting excited and offering to lend a hand. I will be making an official announcement soon, but until then there is a little more information up on the Website (http://www.northlightworkshops.com/workshops/michigan_gathering/index.html). Workshop dates, etc. Feel free to check it out.

As I was saying before, there is a registration fee this year to help out, but as a thank you I am offering a small, signed silver gelatin print of mine to all that register this year.

More to come!

Shawn Dougherty
02-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Bill, I mentioned my intent to come very early in this thread but a photography trip I'm taking in March is eating up all my $ and "vacation" time... Sorry to miss seeing everyone. Wishing you good light and weather! All the best. Shawn

North Light Press
02-25-2009, 02:23 PM
You'll be missed Shawn. Maybe I'll see you at John's if he does it again. Have a great trip in March!

Bill