PDA

View Full Version : "Photostock 2009" - The 4th Annual Northern Michigan Photographer's Gathering

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Jerry Basierbe
04-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Sorry you won't be there Jamie. It would have been interesting doing the group circuit shot this year with the larger crowd.

Jerry

deisenlord
04-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Yep, bummer we will miss you Jamie. Hope your move goes well.
Ike

North Light Press
04-16-2009, 12:27 PM
I'll plan on 2010 though.
You'll be missed Jamie! Happy the move is almost over though. Crazy how much work that can be!

Glad to hear you're planning for 2010. I'm already planning for that one too. Put June 18-27, 2010 on the calendar!!

Bill

Toffle
04-19-2009, 09:09 PM
I've been meaning to ask... will there be Photostock 2009 t-shirts and/or hats this year? (my 2008 hat is getting pretty scary :o )

Cheers,

North Light Press
04-20-2009, 01:21 PM
I've been meaning to ask... will there be Photostock 2009 t-shirts and/or hats this year?Thanks for asking Tom. Yes, there are T's and hats available HERE (http://www.cafepress.com/northlightpress), but I have only just now ordered my samples and have not had them delivered yet. I also hope to have some on-hand at this years event.

Best, Bill

North Light Press
04-27-2009, 04:38 PM
A quick note to let you know I was talking to Shelby Lee Adams this afternoon and he passed on how really excited he is to join us all in the north this summer. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but he is taking a break in his yearly shooting schedule down in Kentucky to come and join us. As many of you know, he has been photographing several families there annually for many years now. Like most of us, he likes to show his new work and he tells me we will have the opportunity of being the first to see a lot of this new work this year up at Photostock. We will also be afforded the opportunity to see some of his personal archive footage from some of the sittings.

An added note is that although Shelby will be doing a meet and greet and book signing after his presentation at the Crooked Tree Auditorium, unfortunately we will only have his most recent book on hand for purchase. "Appalachian Lives" is the only book still in print and all others have sold-out from the publisher. However, he welcomes those of you with your own copies of sold-out titles to bring them along for signing.

Any of you that have met Shelby before or seen him talk will know what a down to earth, friendly and refreshingly humble guy he is. Add to this the great stories he has from his many experiences with the friends and families he photographs and this is going to be a unique and wonderful time for all of us.

More to come as the event draws closer! I don't know about you, but I'm getting pretty excited to see everyone.

Bill

CGross
05-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Hey Bill, any way we can secure late evening/night access to that little lake side park in Cross Village? I think it was the one around the corner from Leggs Inn where a fellow chased us away during Photostock 2(I forget his name, he rode a bike).

As I remember there were some serious opportunities along that stretch :)

North Light Press
05-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Hi Cody,

There should be no problem accessing that park at night. That was Tommy that chased people out. He's not really part of any real enforcement, just likes to think so. A nice guy all the same. They don't even close that gate and even if so, it is not locked. North of there, the whole of Sturgeon Bay is wide open. No worries about anyone chasing you out!

As for the rest of the event, All progressing well. I should have a schedule out in the next week or so.

Tickets are also now available for the Shelby Lee Adams event at the Crooked Tree in Petoskey for those that are not participating in the rest of Photostock. The tickets for his presentation on the 27th of June at 7:00PM are now available at several local outlets as well as online via the www.photostock2009.com site.

Bill

North Light Press
05-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Hello All,

I wanted to point out that we will have only 20 of Shelby's most recent book, "Appalachian Lives" available at his presentation for purchase and signing. All other titles are sold-out at this time. You are of course welcome to bring any books you may already own with you for him to sign as well. If interested in reserving a copy, please feel free to PM me and we will hold one aside for you.

Shelby also sent me a selection of 10 of his 20 x 24 prints today and they are wonderful in "the flesh"! He will be presenting them at our portfolio sharing session at the Birchwood Inn on that Saturday afternoon before his presentation, you won't want to miss that. He will also be available much of that afternoon as he will be hanging out for the demonstrations scheduled for that day as well.

Bill

North Light Press
05-28-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm putting together an oversized map of the area for the lobby of the Birchwood complete with sample photos of some of the favored shooting locations and was hoping those of you that have been before can suggest some of your favorite places. I don't want to overlook anything. There is the obvious, like Sturgeon Bay, the Pine Forest, ONeil Lake, etc. Anything else you can suggest would be great.

Thanks all,

Bill

Toffle
05-28-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm putting together an oversized map of the area for the lobby of the Birchwood complete with sample photos of some of the favored shooting locations and was hoping those of you that have been before can suggest some of your favorite places. I don't want to overlook anything. There is the obvious, like Sturgeon Bay, the Pine Forest, ONeil Lake, etc. Anything else you can suggest would be great.

Thanks all,

Bill

Wormwood Lane. :D:D:D

North Light Press
06-01-2009, 11:23 PM
It's been suggested by several people that there be a table or a time set-up for those wishing to get rid of old gear by either sale, trade or giveaway. I know I have several things to bring that will be available to anyone willing to give it a good home. I hate to throw anything away that someone might still get use from.

If you have anything like this you are willing to bring along, We'll set up a time and place to lay your stuff out for others to see. Saturday the 27th will be a full day of activity at the Birchwood, so I will plan this for Saturday morning/afternoon.

Also... if you do have something special you are planning to bring, list it here in the thread so that anyone that may have an interest can get a jump start and contact you directly.

Bill

Bob Carnie
06-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Bill if there is interest I can bring darkroom gear.
enlargers to trays , lenses and stuff,
not sure how I will get this over the border though.

North Light Press
06-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi Bob, Maybe you could list what you could bring and that way people could connect with you on the items they want. Otherwise you might be trucking stuff a long way anly to have to take it back or throw it away. Unfortunately I will have no way of storing anything that doesn't get snapped up.

That said, Bob has some great darkroom gear and I can't imagine anything left behind. Better to be safe though.

Thanks Bob!

Bill

PS.... When I 've crossed the border with a lot of darkroom gear before, I wasn't even questioned.

Jeff Bannow
06-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Bill - Great idea! I've got some bits I can bring along to trade / give away.

Bob - I'm in the process of setting up my home darkroom and might need some things. I'm sure there are others as well who are looking.

PS. Don't suppose anyone has any Hasselblad lenses they were going to toss? ;)

Jeff Bannow
06-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Anyone setting up a print swap? Could be fun to do.

Andrew Moxom
06-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Bill, you wanted additional ideas for places to shoot at.... The old abandoned house on Levering Road comes to mind....

Bob Carnie
06-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Ok Bill
small stuff I will bring , I will only bring enlargers if there is interst.

Elevator is downsizing ,
I currently have 9 enlagers 11x14 - 4x5.
I think I have three 4x5 enlargers and kit for all .
Cromega- diffusion
Omega - Ilford multihead
Omega - condensor head
In storage I have another 4x5.
I am keeping the 11x14, 8x10 and two 4x5's
Trays,different sizes, easels different sizes, and paper safes and other related gear to a darkroom.
If you are interested email me at bob@elevatordigital.ca

mjs
06-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Sounds like a great idea: I've got some stuff I'd like to clear out of the cabinets. 35mm Nikon, Mamiya 645, that sort of thing. If someone has 2-3 16x20 trays they'd like to get rid of, I could use them.

Mike

North Light Press
06-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Anyone setting up a print swap?Although a great idea Jeff, I am buried in tasks leading up to the event. However, If someone else wants to organize something like this, have at it! Keep me in tune as I will be sending out another newsletter soon and it would be good to include.

Also... Although I've been meaning to write to advertisers of niche products here on APUG offering them to bring their wares to show, tell and maybe sell, but I just haven't had the time to do so with all the other details. Let this serve as an invitation. It could be a great way to get word around of your products. If interested, let me know and you are welcome to set-up a table in the courtyard of the Inn where the demonstration area will be. There is plenty of room out there.

Bill