PDA

View Full Version : "Photostock 2009" - The 4th Annual Northern Michigan Photographer's Gathering

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15

Jeff Bannow
06-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Although a great idea Jeff, I am buried in tasks leading up to the event. However, If someone else wants to organize something like this, have at it! Keep me in tune as I will be sending out another newsletter soon and it would be good to include.

I suppose I could arrange it then.

We could just have everyone bring a print, put it on a table, and then we'll pull names and let people choose which they want to take home. Maybe do the swap on Saturday?

North Light Press
06-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Maybe do the swap on Saturday?Sounds good to me Jeff. Saturday will be the best day as most people will be there at that time and the hotel courtyard will be the center of activity that day leading up to the presentation that night in Petoskey. During that day Shelby will be joining in with the rest of us sharing prints and portfolios. He sent me a selection of prints this week and they are spectacular. I'm hoping all the workshops instructors will have work to share as well. Should be a great day and a print exchange will make it even better.

Thanks for doing this Jeff! PM me any guidelines to participate and I will get them into the next newsletter.

Bill

Toffle
06-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Hi Bob, Maybe you could list what you could bring and that way people could connect with you on the items they want. Otherwise you might be trucking stuff a long way anly to have to take it back or throw it away. Unfortunately I will have no way of storing anything that doesn't get snapped up.

That said, Bob has some great darkroom gear and I can't imagine anything left behind. Better to be safe though.

Thanks Bob!

Bill

PS.... When I 've crossed the border with a lot of darkroom gear before, I wasn't even questioned.

If he's worried, he can drop it all off at my place just inside the border... I can promise that no harm will come to it. :D

Jerry Basierbe
06-02-2009, 01:10 PM
I am buried in tasks leading up to the event.
Bill

Bill,
Anything I can help out with down here?

Jerry

North Light Press
06-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks Jerry!

I appreciate the offer and all the others I have had. Everyone has been very kind. For now all is pretty well set... or as well as it can be until we're actually all in one place! I may need a little help then with set-up... group leading... driving Shelby here and there, etc. I'm going to stick with him pretty close while he's here, but I can't be all places at once. I'm going to look to "veterans" for those kinds of things. It will all depend upon when people are planning to arrive. I'll be contacting everyone that's been helping out behind the scenes soon as I am now finalizing the schedule. However you can rest assured that true to Photostock form, the schedule will be loose and provide for a lot of socializing and exploring time.

I think Smieglitz and I will be the earliest arriving due to the fact we have to set-up the wet plate workshop first. Ike and Kerik both arrive on Saturday, the 20th - but not until later. Sandy will be there on Sunday. I am expecting most people that aren't part of the workshops to be arriving in the mid-later week, but am also sure there will be others coming early and doing their own thing until more arrive. The workshops will run during the day from Saturday through Friday and I know that several people are heading into the wilds of the UP for a couple days. Even so, there will be day and evening shooting excursions, portfolio sharing and some documentary movie screenings throughout for those that plan to hang around. The bulk of the on site activities will be planned for that final Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

To be honest, I can't wait for the thing to start! It is going to be great to see old, new and future friends in one place again. We've got people coming from far and wide this year..... Norway, UK, Canada, Italy, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, California, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Ohio and more. Here's to hoping it is the best yet.

More to come, Bill

North Light Press
06-03-2009, 10:40 AM
I am working out darkroom details at my as yet unfinished house in the woods and if all checks out OK, Andrew Moxom has kindly offered to give a Lith Printing demonstration there during Photostock. Due to the fact that most of the other demos will be held at the hotel location, we will have a sign-up sheet for those interested to car pool to the house for the demo. Unfortunately the darkroom will be limited in size and therefore the group will be limited as well. However, if there is considerable interest, Andrew may do 2 sessions to allow all that want to participate to do so.

Bill

North Light Press
06-04-2009, 04:05 PM
I wanted to note that today and tomorrow all remaining gift prints for those who made early registration to this year's event are being shipped. I'm hoping you will accept my apology for the length of time it has taken! All of you on this side of the pond should have it in your box by the middle of next week.

Thanks again to all of you for making this year happen!

Bill

bsdunek
06-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Didn't think our schedule would allow it, however, my wife has an art show in Petoskey Saturday, June 20. Just wondered what the activities were during the day on the 20th, and then the 21st & 22nd. Might be able to stop by for a while. The schedule on line is sort of sketchy on this. I suppose many will be out shooting, which I also plan to do.
I certainly would like to see Shelby's prints, and Andrew Moxom's Lith printing demo. I assume you'll let me sign up last minute.

North Light Press
06-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Hi Bruce,

You are always welcome! However the first weekend (19-21) is mostly paid workshop attendees and a few early arrivals. Aside from the wet plate workshop, any scheduled outings will be in the evenings and will consist mostly of shooting excursions. There will also be scouting and exploring during the day. The solstice is the reason I originally chose this week for the event and that night will be certainly spent on the beach shooting in the year's longest "golden hour" as I like to call it. Friday evening will be a meet and greet and some orientation for those that haven't been before and I am expecting mostly those attending Saturday and Sunday's workshop although everyone is welcome. For those attending the wet plate shop and anyone else who is interested, we wil be screening the Sally Mann documentary, " What Remains". There will also be a couple early arrivals setting up camp and hanging around the property.

Unfortunately for your schedule, Shelby Lee won't be arriving until the next Friday, June 26th with his presentation being held the next night, Saturday the 27th. However, I already have his portfolio of prints and will be happy to show them to you and anyone else that won't be there the final weekend.

As for the other demonstrations and discussions, most of them will begin later in the week as more people arrive. Judging from past experience and the RSVPs I have recevied thus far, most of the people will begin arriving in the middle of the week through the final weekend of the 26th - 28th, so it is best to schedule things for when the most people are here. For instance, Andrew's lith demonstration is being planned for Wednesday evening, the 24th after the close of the Gum Over Platinum workshop with Kerik Kouklis and David Eisenlord. However, there will also be plenty of socializing, shooting and exploring for those planning to arrive earlier in the week.

Hope this helps! Sorry for the delay on a final schedule, but I have bee trying to adjust it for when the most will be in attendance. I will release the finalized schedule this weekend.

Bill

Jeff Bannow
06-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Hey Bill,

What time will the meetup at the property start on Friday? We plan on coming in town in the afternoon some time.

North Light Press
06-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Hi Jeff,

You guys are at the Birchwood and that is where the meet-up will be on Friday. I'm figuring anywhere from 6PM on. Most of those taking the shop on Saturday and Sunday will be at the hotel, so I figure this is best. We will have a "home" theater set-up in the basement meeting room and this is where the documentaries will be screened. The hotel has also allowed me to set-up an above ground fire pit on their grounds, so we can retire there until the end of the evening. Saturday after the workshop, we will organize a group dinner, do some shooting and retire back to the property for that evening's fire circle.

Bill

Jeff Bannow
06-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Hi Jeff,

You guys are at the Birchwood and that is where the meet-up will be on Friday. I'm figuring anywhere from 6PM on. Most of those taking the shop on Saturday and Sunday will be at the hotel, so I figure this is best. We will have a "home" theater set-up in the basement meeting room and this is where the documentaries will be screened. The hotel has also allowed me to set-up an above ground fire pit on their grounds, so we can retire there until the end of the evening. Saturday after the workshop, we will organize a group dinner, do some shooting and retire back to the property for that evening's fire circle.

Bill

Sounds like a plan. We'll check in and grab a bite to eat then. Can't wait! Gallery opening tonight and Photostock in a week.

billschwab
06-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Best of luck with the open Jeff! I'm up in Cross Village right now, but I'd be there in a minute if in Detroit.

Mayfair710
06-13-2009, 07:45 AM
hi bill,
i am wondering if you know the day/time of andrew's lith print demo. i saw in some correspondence that it is planned for wednesday evening. i really want to attend that and need to add a nite to my birchwood inn reservation if it is indeed going to be on wednesday.

thanks,
marianne

North Light Press
06-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Hi Marianne

Sorry about that Marianne! It looks like Wed is the best bet for this as each day is filled with workshops at the darkrom location and Thursday evening is an outdoor portrait lighting demonstration. Friday evening is when Shelby Lee arrives and we will be having a meet and greet/party at the Birchwood that night. One option is having Andrew do 2 evenings back to back. I expect there will be more people interested in his demo and due to the limitations made by the size of the darkroom, I anticipate having to schedule 2 sessions for this. Perhaps we can double up on Thursday evening and he can do another? I'll see how Andy feels about this. That way you could save an extra night at the hotel. Lret me get with Andy on this and get back to you.

Bill

Mayfair710
06-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Hi Marianne

Sorry about that Marianne! It looks like Wed is the best bet for this as each day is filled with workshops at the darkrom location and Thursday evening is an outdoor portrait lighting demonstration. Friday evening is when Shelby Lee arrives and we will be having a meet and greet/party at the Birchwood that night. One option is having Andrew do 2 evenings back to back. I expect there will be more people interested in his demo and due to the limitations made by the size of the darkroom, I anticipate having to schedule 2 sessions for this. Perhaps we can double up on Thursday evening and he can do another? I'll see how Andy feels about this. That way you could save an extra night at the hotel. Lret me get with Andy on this and get back to you.

Bill

"no worries...it's all good" as my kids CONSTANTLY say...i just called and reserved the closet for the 23rd as well...i didnt wanna risk missing andy's demo as i know i could learn so much from watching him work....

Mayfair710
06-13-2009, 02:00 PM
ooops..i mean wednesday the 24th

Andrew Moxom
06-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Bill, I sent a PM to you, but doing a demo on Wed and Thursday at early evening is no problem for me either way, and of course depending on numbers/demand.

A.

billschwab
06-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Excellent Andy. I appreciate you doing this. I'm finalizing the schedule now and hope to have it in the mail and posted before the end of the night.

Bill

North Light Press
06-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Well, it may be rustic, but it works. I've finally gotten the temporary darkroom set-up and ready to go for this year's event. Although part of the workshop space, after hours it will be available for demonstrations and use by anyone needing the space. It will be good for loading and running film as well for those interested. Only film chemistry available is HC-110, so if you have your own brew, bring it along.

Bill