PDA

View Full Version : "Photostock 2009" - The 4th Annual Northern Michigan Photographer's Gathering

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

North Light Press
10-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Photostock 2009
The 4th Annual Northern Michigan Photographer's Gathering
June 19 - 28, 2009
Cross Village / Harbor Springs, Michigan

The circus continues!

Again, never too early to start planning so I thought I'd get the dates set for the next gathering. I hope you will be able to fit us on your schedule for 2009 as I am planning on expanding the gathering to include a week of various workshops leading up to the big weekend. I am already working with several folks to try to align their schedules to attend as instructors and there will be more information coming as things solidify. I have also had sponsorship interest and due to this will be working to secure a keynote presenter for the event. As soon as this is set in stone, an announcement will be made.

In addition to featured instructors, I will again be looking for folks interested in doing demonstrations and presentations throughout the gathering. Please feel free to contact me with your ideas.

By popular request, this year we will be basing several of the workshops, presentations and activities in the meeting rooms of the Birchwood Inn (http://www.birchwoodinn.com) and with this I will also be planning a small trade exhibit for vendors to share, demonstrate and sell their products and services. If you are interested in a table for your business, feel free to contact me directly. There will be a very modest fee involved for this and more information will be announced in the coming weeks.

Sorry not to have much more at this time, but I mainly wanted to get the dates out there so you can put the event on your calendar. Soon I will have the North Light Workshops (http://www.northlightworkshops.com) website updated with information and a form where we will be taking advanced reservations.

Please watch this thread for more announcements and information and please feel free to bring up any suggestions you may have to make this another successful event.

Hope you can make it this year!

Bill Schwab

Thomas Bertilsson
10-09-2008, 11:22 AM
I am definitely interested and the dates are on my calendar. Ten days? Wow. I'm sure the dates will be broken into sections later as this progresses, but thought I'd ask if you were laying it out with workshops first and then gathering?

Thanks for doing this again!

- Thomas

North Light Press
10-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Hi Thomas... Yes, workshops first leading up to the gathering. All will be welcome throughout however, even if not taking in workshops. There will be a lot more to come, just wanted the dates out there.

Thanks! It will be great to see you again!

Andrew Moxom
10-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks Bill... I'll get it onto the calendar. Sounds like a busy week indeed.

SuzanneR
10-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Penciled in... I finally may be able to come to this!!! Thanks for the heads up, Bill!

North Light Press
10-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Suzanne! It would be way too cool to have you up this time! Thanks for the consideration.

Jerry Basierbe
10-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Looking forward to the expanded version.

Jerry

Shawn Dougherty
10-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Very cool, Bill. I'm going to do everything I can to clear the schedule and head up north next summer. It was great meeting you and seeing your photographs and plates in person at John's last month. All the best. Shawn

david b
10-09-2008, 12:36 PM
My wife and I (and baby) were planning a road trip to Chicago around that time.

Harbor Springs is on the way, isn't it? ;)

Dan Henderson
10-09-2008, 12:40 PM
It is on my calendar. It will be great to renew old acquaintances, and meet new people.

David: every time I drive from NM to Chicago I go right through Harbor Springs. It is much faster than the alternate route. Hope you can make it; It would be great to see you again.

Dan

steckmeyer
10-10-2008, 12:25 PM
It's on our calendar. Thanks

Fintan
10-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Can you guys offer any tips for the best/cheapest route into Michigan when coming from Europe? If you travel via NYC, who do you fly with to Michigan?

Travis Nunn
10-10-2008, 06:19 PM
I'll do my best to be there.

jd callow
10-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Can you guys offer any tips for the best/cheapest route into Michigan when coming from Europe? If you travel via NYC, who do you fly with to Michigan?

Northwest uses Detroit Metro (DTW) as a hub airport. From their you are a 3.5 to 4 hour car ride to Bill's (I've not been, but I know the area). It might be advisable to have worked out transportation once you arrive. Maybe we can get locals who are coming to provide transit to Bill's. Under no condition should you rely upon bus service.

jp80874
10-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Northwest uses Detroit Metro (DTW) as a hub airport. From their you are a 3.5 to 4 hour car ride to Bill's (I've not been, but I know the area). It might be advisable to have worked out transportation once you arrive. Maybe we can get locals who are coming to provide transit to Bill's. Under no condition should you rely upon bus service.

I would think he should transfer to a commuter airline at Detroit and fly up to Pelston, Michigan. He could rent a car there and be, ten miles from Bill’s place, or 20 miles or so from Harbor Springs. I would not recommend the drive from Detroit to Harbor Springs as it is mostly four lane highway and not representative of the beauty of Michigan off the highways.

My parents had a cottage on Burt Lake to the east of Harbor Sprngs in the 1950s as did Bill’s parents. We came up 400 miles from Akron, Ohio. The highway is just a fast method to get up north through the center of the state to then enjoy the beautiful scenery on the coast area.

John Powers

North Light Press
10-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Can you guys offer any tips for the best/cheapest route into Michigan when coming from Europe?Hi Fintan! Happy to hear you're interested. The absolute best way to get here is to fly into the Pelston regional airport that is only a few miles from here. They are serviced by Northwest Airlines and have several flights connecting to Detroit and Minneapolis. My advice would be to fly directly to Detroit (DTW) and change over on a plane to Pelston (PEL). Someone then need only drive a few miles to meet you.

PS... Oops... John beat me to it while I was writing! Thanks John!

jp80874
10-10-2008, 09:13 PM
PS... Oops... John beat me to it while I was writing! Thanks John!

Hope to be there also.

John

winger
10-10-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm hoping to make it.

Toffle
10-10-2008, 10:24 PM
I'll be there for sure... maybe I'll do the tenting thing this year. (I missed out on too much last year driving back and forth)

Cheers,

smieglitz
10-10-2008, 10:39 PM
I'll be there too. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone again and meeting some new friends as well.