PDA

View Full Version : MN 2009 Winter Trip up North

Pages : 1 [2]

Andrew Moxom
11-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Randy, I was thinking of maybe the Americinn at Tofte for two nights and then the last night at Americinn in Two Harbors. That divides the Hwy 61 scenic drive into 3rds. Tofte is close to Grand Marais, and areas in between, and Two Harbors is within reach of Duluth and everything either side. Ike gave me last years itinerary and a list of all the spots we missed!!

Dan, Mesaba/Northworst might fly into Duluth from Detroit.

Here's a list of places to visit that we missed last year:-

Municipal Campground shoreline.
Father Baraga's cross
Cascade River SP
Taconite Harbor
Silver Bay Harbor
Palisade Head
Gold Rock Point
Cross River
Stony Point
Brighton Beach
City Lake Walk
Lift Bridge
MN Point
Superior Entry

Again, the trip will remain fluid based upon peoples needs and of course the weather.

Andy

Sjixxxy
11-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Mark me a maybe.

Andrew Moxom
12-22-2008, 01:54 PM
With less than 2 months to go, I thought I should reawaken this thread. So far interested parties are :-

Evan Clarke
Bill Schwab
Dan Henderson
Randy Libersky
Sjixxxy

I know Bill was likely a tentative as there was also thoughts about an Iceland trip around this time aswell. Is that going to happen? I've also got to arrange a kitchen pass myself. Can you guys let me know if you are still interested?

Thanks

Andy

eclarke
12-22-2008, 03:23 PM
I am. I have another friend here who you guys have not met, Byron Becker who says he will come...Evan

Rlibersky
12-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Unfortunately my daughter has Sections that weekend for her dance competitions. I will have to back out. Ihave moved my own trip to the weekend before.

I hope the next one works for me.

Dan Henderson
12-26-2008, 05:45 AM
Andrew: I am still in.
Dan

Andrew Moxom
01-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Okay, I'm reawakening this again. Schedule wise, I am shot for early February. I can only make Feb 19th, 20, and maybe 21. We will miss the full moon, but it will still be an opportunity for us and the ice looks like it should be good being how cold things are right now. That said, it could still be a bad year for the ice, and it depends how much has blown ashore by that time too.

Let me know your availability for this new weekend. Again, apologies for the runaround.

eclarke
01-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi Andrew, It's falling apart at my end, my comrades have backed out on me and my wife is objecting to me going alone. It might be time to plan for next year...Evan Clarke

Andrew Moxom
01-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Okay Evan. That truly sucks man.

Thomas Bertilsson
01-15-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm reconsidering this adventure. But I can only make it for one day, since school is in the picture (my current class is a real ball breaker), so I will meet up with you all wherever you are on the Saturday of that weekend. I'll start early from the Twin Cities and work my way up North and we can rendezvous somewhere, and then I head back again at night.

- Thomas

Dan Henderson
01-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Andrew: a dear family friend is celebrating her 80th birthday on February 21, so I will not be able to be there that weekend.
Dan

Andrew Moxom
01-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Oh man this looks like it's not going to be doable then. If you guys need to keep the old dates, I am fine with it, but I will have to pass. Only dates that work for me now are Feb 19, 20, 21.

Andrew Moxom
01-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Okay, if you guys need to keep the original dates, then I am okay with it, but I will have to pass. Right now attendees are dwindling either way, so not sure whether this is logisitically doable this year or not. My apologies again, but work and home need me to refocus my commitments in early and mid february. :-(

Sounds like it might just be Thomas and I driving up one morning early and coming home the same day some time in February.

eclarke
01-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Last year was fairly magical and it all dropped in place. I think Andrew is right about the ice this year. If Lake Michigan is any indication the shores are all homely ice heaves. Maybe the sheduling problem is an omen...EC

Andrew Moxom
02-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Okay, here's the latest. With schedules blown this year, the trip has evolved into a lesser affair and the dates have moved to February 20th through 21st. Short, but at least an opportunity to go photograph some good ice formations. George and I will head up real early Friday morning, stay at Silver Bay Americinn for one night and return on Saturday evening. So almost two full days of shooting at least. The moon won't be good at that time unfortunately for night shots though.

That said, if anyone wants to meet us there, please let me know. Andy