View Full Version : MN 2009 Winter Trip up North
10-09-2008, 01:07 PM
The winter trip organized by Ike last year was a great trip. I could only attend for two days and had a bad back, but would certainly be up for it again this year. I don't know people's schedules, but it certainly would be good to get up there again this winter if other people are game?
I looked up the phases of the moon for February next year and we should have a full moon on Monday 9th. So I was thinking Feb 6th through 10th would be most opportunistic time to go espcially if anyone wanted the option to do some night shooting? It will be bitterly cold, but well worth it!
I am not sure that I could take a week to do this like most did last year, especially with all the other gathering's in 2009 taking shape. What about friday through Monday or Thursday through Sunday ?
At any rate, who's interested and who's not?
10-09-2008, 01:23 PM
At the risk of jinxing myself, I am..Evan Clarke
10-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Okay, so far I have these interested parties:-
Dan Henderson (Firephoto)
10-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Gotta make this one. I'm in. I'll most likely be flying up again and taking a little more time. Don't forget your spikes!
10-09-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm afraid I can't do the winter trip too and still be in good standing with my wife, so I wish you guys a fun trip!
10-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Thomas, are you sur you could not even swing a day or one overnight? Especially if its over a weekend?
Okay so far we have :-
Dan Henderson (Firephoto)
10-09-2008, 04:21 PM
I usually try to do a couple of nights at the Beargrease. I would be willing to skip it this year for this trip. So for today count me in.
10-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Pretty sure, Andy. If I find that I can join later on, I'll let you all know. Two photo trips per year is about max the relationship can withhold, I think.
10-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Understood. I know how it is Thomas.
10-10-2008, 02:19 PM
I will definitely make it depending on what happens to my Irish thing. I hope to know soon.
I heard a weather fortune teller say this winter could be the coldest in sometime. That would be great as I really want to shoot the lake frozen over again. If it does happen we could make the trip later into early march as the ice will stay. I guess its a 10 year event so the probability is low.
10-10-2008, 02:33 PM
When does the ice breaker usually run through the ice at the harbor? End of February?
10-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Last time it froze up was in 2003 and I'll check some notes but when i got back to Duluth on Sunday the Mackinaw was just leaving Duluth harbor.
It had come from the Sault and was returning. I think it was 1st week of March.
10-10-2008, 09:23 PM
hey you Minnesotans: I am going to need to invest in a new pair of insulated boots this winter, especially to go up there where it get really cold. Any recommendations?
10-11-2008, 12:25 AM
Dan, your best bet really are PAC boots. I know that Baffin makes some good stuff. Available at most Gander Mountain stores.... Try this link to their line up http://www.baffin.com/footwear/intro.html
11-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Okay, so far I have Evan Clarke, Bill Schwab, and Dan Henderson as definites, and Ike a maybe pending his Ireland schedule, and Randy Libersky pending canceling another trip. Thomas may also join us for the weekend pending schedule.
Dates I'm leaning towards are based upon the best moon phase allowing for potential for night shots... So Feb 5th through Feb 13th would be prime times. At this point, I would say Thursday 5th through Sunday 8th February. How does that sound?? I'm not sure whether we need an entire week. Also staying in one or two places and traveling to take picture might be better instead of having to pack up and move every day or two, but I am open to suggestions.
Right now I am thinking stay centrally on the shore (Temperance River area??) and we have plenty options in relatively close proximity. Driving to Grand Marais is not too much of a schlepp. This year, it might be good to see if we can get up to the Oberg trail, but might be a problem due to ice on the trails.
Bill, Dan, if you are flying, I could meet you at Duluth airport?
11-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Guys, my Irish Residency has firmed up, last week of Jan though Feb, so I won't be able to make it. Bummer.
11-12-2008, 10:10 AM
That would be cool Andrew. I'm thinking on getting a car this time in case I stay longer. We'll see how it pans out. I have a show in Northern Michigan to Jury and I will also have to be at the open. I have to check the dates on that. I'm pretty sure it is at the end of January, but don't quote me on that.
Too bad Ike!!!! Glad the Ireland deal is happening for you though. That will be really great.
11-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Too bad Ike, but great news even if you cannot make it up north?... Bill, I am open to staying longer, just let me know.
11-12-2008, 02:11 PM
I have confirmed I can make the trip this year. Although I will have to come up on Friday instead of Thursday. I'm sure we can figure it out. The North Shore can get busy if there is lots of snow Skiing, Snow Mobiling and other activities. Do you have any suggestion on motels?
11-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Thursday through Sunday would work great for me, since I will be teaching a class on Wednesday evenings and would rather not miss one. I may have to catch a really late or really early flight to get there early enough Thursday. Andrew, what airlines are best for Duluth? And staying in 1 or 2 places works fine for me. Andrew, thanks for organizing this.