PDA

View Full Version : Lilly Cole in Playboy

Pages : 1 [2]

2F/2F
10-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Interesting point, but I don't think so. Religious art, I believe, is more likely didactic. It's purpose is to teach some fundamental of the religion, or in many cases to instill in the viewer a religious sentiment or feeling. In the best case, it might instill in the viewer a religious epiphany or transformation. I would not call that commercial.

If it is used outside the church, then it could more more likely be commercial, intended to invite the viewer to enter the church. But once inside, I would not call most of the art commercial, but rather didactic.

Yes, I understand exactly what you are saying. A better way for me to say it would be that the main purpose of the mentioned religious art is something other than to simply exist as visual art. I still think "commercial" is part of it, but not the whole thing. I do believe that religions also double as businesses...if only out of necessity. Or maybe (more likely in my mind) they are businesses that double as religions...who knows.

mabman
10-13-2008, 10:32 PM
I have the issue of Paradis at home, but don't know of any link online.
The UK version of Paradis is a very well done and gorgeous publication.
The photographer was/is Juergen Teller.
They are kinda uncomfortable and mildly trashy, but done well.

I really don't get it - if the Paradis images are the same ones viewable with a basic Google search, I don't see what's "done well" about them - she's nude/naked depending on your perspective, and what looks like blasted with light. They don't really appeal to me at all.

I have this same issue with most of the other Juergen Teller work I've seen, and much of Terry Richardson's as well. Maybe I just don't understand fashion/glamour photography in general...

SilverGlow
11-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Lily Cole? Who is she? She's got bird legs, big a$$...I've seen enough...

scootermm
11-04-2008, 08:17 PM
if the Paradis images are the same ones viewable with a basic Google search, I don't see what's "done well" about them

I think you just pretty much answered your own question.
It just doesnt work for you.

Thats the beautiful subjectivity of taste in art.