PDA

View Full Version : Mitteilungen Aus Den Forschungslaboratorien Der Agfa, Volumes I-IV

Pages : 1 [2]

Kirk Keyes
10-16-2008, 11:21 AM
whe = English for combined we and he.

JOSarff
10-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Kirk:

Now that the translation of German to English has been discussed, what are your plans for the books?

Joe

wildbillbugman
10-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Bill - you must have been publicly educated.
Kirk

Yes Kirk,
I was publicly, educated. Just barely. But in the case of fart vs. furt: I claim 'Poetic Lisence'. To paraphrase an old cliche: 'The pen is mightier than the camera '
Bill

Kirk Keyes
10-16-2008, 12:49 PM
That's OK, Bill - I was taught in public school as well.

Joe - I have no idea. They looked interesting, and the price was not too bad - $50 for all 4. What do you have in mind?

Has anyone here actually seen these books before - I will not get them for another week or so. Anyone know what's in them?

Photo Engineer
10-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Kirk;

As stated before, all of the verbs will be in volume II. Volume I will be nouns, adjectives and adverbs with spaces at the end of the sentence tomakeupforthecombinedwords . Like that!

PE

JOSarff
10-16-2008, 05:07 PM
I guess scann a few pages and push them through a german-english translation program and see where that leads. I know that it won't be a great or accurate, translation, however it's fine for starters. That unless you read german.

I'd try the table of contents first.

Joe

Photo Engineer
10-16-2008, 07:06 PM
If they are anything like the similar Kodak publications, then I would not expect too much detailed information. As I have mentioned before, Kodak had regular publications of a similar sort. I have a few volumes of these here.

PE

Kirk Keyes
10-16-2008, 10:14 PM
PE - I remember you mentioned that Kodak had a process of releasing process info that was not patented, but I can't remember what they were called. Do you know what I'm talking about?

Photo Engineer
10-16-2008, 10:58 PM
There are Research Disclosures and Defensive Publications. Both are supported by the USP office and will bar a company from patenting anything in either source. I have about 6 of the former and about 10 or 20 of the latter. The former are easy to find, but the latter are a bit more difficult to find IIRC. I have not looked at either for some time now.

There are tons of them and they have never been commented on here or anywhere else AFAIK, at least to any extent.

PE

Ray Rogers
10-17-2008, 02:54 AM
Has anyone here actually seen these books before - I will not get them for another week or so. Anyone know what's in them?

Well, if no one else will admit to it, I will.

I have one in front of me now, a later one from the 60's!
It is a cream colored cloth bound hard back book about as thick as my thumb is wide. Content wise, it looks much like the ones from Kodak.
(Kodak publications may have a wider scope (?) or be somewhat more
theoretical in nature but this may just be a vivid imagination on my part.)

In the unlikely event you find you do not need the books, I would not necessarily mind taking them off your hands and or reading them for you.
;)
oh,

Band I contains articles on the current status of the theory of the latent image, infrared photography, color sensitometry, Stereoscopic X-rays and thermal properties of celluose and celluose derivatives...

Band II
the relationship between X-ray sensitivity and grain size, the reversal process, the roll of water in gelatin gels and sols...

Band III
the nature of the latent image with physical development, new studies on solarization, the status of infrared photography, Correctostat paper...

Band IV
the use of direct positives (?) for enlargements from 35mm film.

and a lot more but I guess this gives you an idea.

Ray

GCyberfish
10-17-2008, 04:14 AM
I have Volume X and found it very intresting.
It contains articles on the water effect, the use of hydrazines (rocket fuel!:o)
in photographic developers and such.
But sometimes even for a german hard to understand...

(please excuse my bad english)

AgX
10-17-2008, 04:36 AM
I find all that scientific photochemical literature hard to understand...

Kirk Keyes
10-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Ray and GCyberfish - thanks for the info.

Ray - how was the Ilford Factory Tour? Would you mind starting a thread in regards to the coating and emulsion stuff you saw/learned?

Ray Rogers
10-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Ray and GCyberfish - thanks for the info.

Ray - how was the Ilford Factory Tour? Would you mind starting a thread in regards to the coating and emulsion stuff you saw/learned?

Maybe in another week or two.

The most amazing thing was the frankness with which Harman addressed us. I felt their responses to be completely devoid of pretense. The experience was one of talking to a friend more than that of talking to business.

I came away feeling that Harman is prepared to do what is necessary to remain in the game untill the players themselves give up and call it a day.

On the down side, I do think that it was a mistake (for us) that they bought Kentmere; IMH(and personal)O we do not benefit by the creation of a near monopoly... Harman is big business in an advanced stage of growth and to me, that does not spell security for a shrinking market.

Their approach, however, is to try to be adaptable and to some extent it seems they have been successful in this.

All in all,
For the most part, they sound just like us when they speak of changes in the market place, glicee* prints, making money et cetra,
and one would probably find it difficult to find much difference in their small talk and ours,

except that they start each day with the price of silver on their mind!

Ray
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Giclée ???
a name invented / coined by Jack Duganne meaning "to squirt" to distinguish "proof" prints from fine art prints being produced essentially the same way on the same equipment.
(data source: Wikipedia)

Kirk Keyes
10-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Well, they arrived today. I should have studied more in high school German class...

They came from New Hampshire, and have Polariod Corporation labels in the front. It's the second book I've bought over the years that came from Polariod. I've also got one from 3M.