PDA

View Full Version : Silver Gallon

Kirk Keyes
10-24-2008, 12:47 AM
OK - I enjoy funky units, as long as I don't have to use them. So I have to ask, what's a "Silver Gallon"?

Photo Engineer
10-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Didn't your source explain it Kirk?

At Kodak, we used a measure called a silver gallon. I never used it myself, but it was a funky measure of silver content in a raw melted emulsion. I myself used a more standard unit Kg of melt / mole of silver.

PE

Kirk Keyes
10-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Well, I thought I would just toss that out there for whoever wanted to have fun with it.

I see my Duffin book often uses "ripening volume" in ml melt/mole Ag. Probably very similar to your kg/mole Ag. Just the density difference between them.

Photo Engineer
10-24-2008, 11:48 AM
We found that due to variations, the only exact measure was to do an analysis of the emulsion to determine the silver content. However, Kg / mole eliminated the density variations inherent in volumetric measure.

In any case, we developed a series of density equations for most everything including mixtures and temperature effects. This model helped us convert units handily to better than 0.01% from 20 - 40 deg C with things as diverse as NaBr/KI mixtures and AgNO3 up to 4 molar. It also included models for AgX.

Ammonium Hydroxide, with a negative density profile was one of the more difficult as were many volatiles.

PE

Kirk Keyes
10-24-2008, 01:51 PM
In any case, we developed a series of density equations for most everything including mixtures and temperature effects. This model helped us convert units handily to better than 0.01% from 20 - 40 deg C with things as diverse as NaBr/KI mixtures and AgNO3 up to 4 molar. It also included models for AgX.

Is that something Kodak published, or could we get them to publish? It would be nice to have...

bdial
10-24-2008, 01:53 PM
It's the volume of silver a person can carry walking at a speed of 1 furlong/fortnight.:p

PhotoJim
10-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Is a UK silver gallon larger than a US silver gallon? :)

Photo Engineer
10-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Is that something Kodak published, or could we get them to publish? It would be nice to have...

The equations are extremely complex. I was a member of the KP density standards committee that tested and verified the algorithms that did the calculations.

I doubt if they would be interested in publication. In fact, you would need a rather complex computer program to implement the entire series of calculations.

As for the US and Imperial silver gallon, :D , IDK if one ever existed. I never had to work with it. I worked with Kg/M.

PE