PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Tech Publication AJ-12

Janus
10-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Hey guys!

I know the Kodak AJ-12 Publication is somewhere in the emulsion forum, but can't find it. Anybody got a scanned PDF copy for me?

Many thanks
Janus

Photo Engineer
10-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Sean probably has it in the archives. It vanished when Sean converted to the new software. The version here:

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Emulsion/emulsion.html

Is close enough if not identical.

PE

Ian Grant
10-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Somewhere in the UK I have a Kodak publication on making your own emulsion. I tried it back in 1976 and it was actually very good far better than I'd anticipated.

What I can't remember is where I found it, pre Internet :) But I did find a small test print I made with it a year or so ago, I say print but actually it was applied to a painted surface, I'd bought an air-brush to apply it.

Sean needs prodding to resurrect these missing post.

Ian

Photo Engineer
10-26-2008, 03:18 PM
AJ-12 is similar (I was told) to a standard emulsion we used at the research labs at Kodak for hand coating or experimental coating of small quantities of chemicals. It was ideal for testing. We called it Lab Simplex.

PE

Ray Rogers
10-26-2008, 08:18 PM
AJ-12 also appears (uncredited!) in Martins book Silver Gelatin*.

*Martin Reed, Sarah Jones

Janus
10-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Hey guys thanks so much for the info. I'm busy writing my dissertation, and used what I believe is the AJ-12 iodo-bromide formula. I have worked from both the book and the article on unblinkingeye.com, but since its academic all info I use has to be conclusive. I'm dead sure the formula is from the AJ-12 publication, but I'm going to be in really deep trouble if I say it is and for some reason prove not to be...

Ian Grant
10-27-2008, 04:40 PM
A quick search on the internet shows an APUG member probably has a copy of AJ-12, PM or email Kevin Klein. Also PM me with what you think is the Formula and I'll check my notes, I may have that formula here in Turkey but the Kodak publication is in the UK.

The emulsion from AJ-12 was posted on APUG once but disappeared in the site overhaul.

Ian

Kirk Keyes
10-27-2008, 05:25 PM
I think I've got one around too. I'll look for it later today.

Ray Rogers
10-27-2008, 07:52 PM
I think I've got one around too. I'll look for it later today.

I have the item in different formats.
Contact me if necessary.
Ray

jnanian
10-27-2008, 07:54 PM
hi there

i posted the aj-12 formula long ago
and just found it again.

there are 2 pdf files

have fun!

john

Janus
10-29-2008, 02:54 AM
Fantastic thanks that's perfect. Thanks for all the feedback I really appreciate it!

Vaughn
10-29-2008, 03:28 AM
Thanks for posting the PDF's, John. AJ-12 makes it sound so simple...just pour it on a clean piece of glass in a uniform coating!

I have several relatively modern 5x7 plate holders. When they stop making film I'll be ready...:p

Vaughn