PDA

View Full Version : A Nikon F at the ROM

PhotoJim
11-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Yesterday afternoon (Sunday, November 2, 2008) I was at the Royal Ontario Museum on Bloor Street in Toronto. (I was in town for a conference and had a day to myself before I came home to Regina.)

While I was there exploring the gift shop I saw someone carrying around a Nikon F. I hadn't seen one in the wild for years!

I said "Nice camera!" and we had a nice, brief conversation about classic cameras. He showed me the bottom of the camera and he had paid a whopping $14.99 for it at Value Village.

Anyway, it was kind of fun to see it. I wish I'd been carrying my F3. (To be honest I left all my camera gear at home - it tends to be a very busy week and I knew I wouldn't be in the mindset or have much spare time for photography.)

On the off chance that the F owner reads this, say hello. :)

John_Nikon_F
11-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Holy ****! Only $15+tax? That's the cheapest F I've seen... Anyway, hopefully he joins up.

-J

naeroscatu
11-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Yesterday afternoon (Sunday, November 2, 2008) I was at the Royal Ontario Museum on Bloor Street in Toronto. (I was in town for a conference and had a day to myself before I came home to Regina.)

While I was there exploring the gift shop I saw someone carrying around a Nikon F. I hadn't seen one in the wild for years!

I said "Nice camera!" and we had a nice, brief conversation about classic cameras. He showed me the bottom of the camera and he had paid a whopping $14.99 for it at Value Village.

Anyway, it was kind of fun to see it. I wish I'd been carrying my F3. (To be honest I left all my camera gear at home - it tends to be a very busy week and I knew I wouldn't be in the mindset or have much spare time for photography.)

On the off chance that the F owner reads this, say hello.

Hi Jim, I was the guy carrying the Nikon F at the ROM on Sun Nov 2nd. You know, when you told me you have the same passion I was thinking what are the chances that you may be a member of PN-classic camera where I post most of my findings or APUG. I'm glad to read your post. The thing is I bought the camera a day before we met so I was very anxious to take it out for a spin, still surprised it had no serious issues. I cleaned up the mirror and the prism, replaced the mirror bumper (melted) and that was about all it needed. Even more interesting is that camera came with a 24mm AI lens (unknown brand, very strange name that I don't remember now - I'm at work) in perfect working order. I have not developed the film yet but I promise to keep you posted. Cheers

PhotoJim
11-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Heh. I was hoping you might be a member here but I figured you probably weren't. Small world! :)

I have to sheepishly admit that this was the first out-of-province trip I'd ever taken without taking a proper camera with me.

We'll definitely have to get together the next time I'm in the GTA.

mfophotos
11-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Great deal on that F! Over the past year, I have had several nice Fs given to me, and one was in mint condition because it apparently was used only to shoot through a microscope. I had to change out the prism screen, as it was the wacky one made for microscopy. Works fine, though.

Terrence Brennan
11-20-2008, 11:40 AM

I am often stopped--by working professionals--whenever I am out and about in Ottawa with two of my Nikon Fs. They both have F-36 motors, and cordless battery packs, and the usual comment goes something like, "...I haven't seen those in years..." or, "...I used to own x number of those..." I also met a young woman carrying a Nikon FTn at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Day.

Uncle Bill
12-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Great deal on the F, I'll have to check Value Village more often......

Photo Engineer
12-09-2008, 09:03 PM
My mint, low serial # F is listed for over $5000. I would never get it, but I never use it out of fear! :(

Great deal!

PE