PDA

View Full Version : Lith Print Exchange Round 3

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

mooseontheloose
12-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Sent my prints out yesterday. It's a sad state of the world when it's cheaper to mail prints to Norway and Germany than it is to a fellow Canadian.

semeuse
12-17-2008, 09:41 AM
I received Paul's print yesterday. I agree with Mark. Beautiful subtle effect. And a great subject for lith. Nice work Paul.
My prints are going out today.

Paul Cocklin
12-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks you two! I'm glad you like the Bodie prints. Never having seen anyone else's liths I have always wondered whether 'I'm doing it right' or not. :)

sly
12-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Sent my prints out yesterday. It's a sad state of the world when it's cheaper to mail prints to Norway and Germany than it is to a fellow Canadian.

Is it slower in Canada too? My print got to Germany. Has it made it to Kamloops yet? It's only a ferry ride and a day's drive away!

mooseontheloose
12-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Hey sly,

Don't know -- I had to come back to Manitoba for my grandmother's funeral, so I'll be picking up my mail once I get back after Christmas. Something to look forward to!

Everyone in my group got a different print (but all on the same paper, same chemistry, same dilutions).:) The theme was places that I've travelled to.

sly
12-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Rachelle, sorry to hear about your Grandmother. Hope your family is coming together with love and mutual support. It's always hard to let go of a family member. Lillian

Paul Cocklin
12-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Received Semeuse's (Kris) print today, an absolutely fantastic print on Slavich Unibrom 160. Kris, I gotta tell you I LOVE this print, thank you so much. When I saw the image posted in the gallery, I have to admit I was hoping this would be the one I'd get. :) I've ordered a 25 sheet pack of the Slavich already to see what I can do with it. Thanks again, it's become one of my favorite prints!

Paul

Pete H
12-22-2008, 08:13 AM
Today Lillian Sly's beautiful "Matsutake" arrived. The highlights are so delicate and the paper choice is perfect. I'll have to try Chamois now. Thank you Lillian!

My prints are printed but I doubt whether I'll get to a post office before Christmas.

Happy Christmas all!

Pete

Mark Fisher
12-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Received Semeuse's (Kris) print today, an absolutely fantastic print on Slavich Unibrom 160. Kris, I gotta tell you I LOVE this print, thank you so much. When I saw the image posted in the gallery, I have to admit I was hoping this would be the one I'd get. :) I've ordered a 25 sheet pack of the Slavich already to see what I can do with it. Thanks again, it's become one of my favorite prints!

Paul

I received Kris' print today and it is a really nice and interesting print. I tried unibrom in Maco/Rollei and had a hard time getting anything useful. I'll need to try again. I think it is really interesting that the three prints in our group have such drastically different looks. It is a real testiment to how versitile lith can be!

Paul Cocklin
12-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Received Mark's prints today (he sent 2! Thanks Mark! :) ). One is a very cool shot of harness traces on a horse (fantastic composition!) and the other is a very cool shot of exhaust ports on a space ship! Mark, you really do have a wonderful eye for composing images. All three of the prints I've received will get matted and framed, and hung on a wall that will be dedicated for print exchange prints. Thanks to both of you for the wonderful prints!

sly
12-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Rachelle, recieved your print yesterday. You put your time in France to good use. Your print has lovely tones through it. Lith exchanges are great for illustrating the breadth of results available with lith.
Can you send technical information about the paper and developer used?

mooseontheloose
12-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Hi Sly,

I believe I wrote it at the back on the bottom of the print. All prints were done on Foma Chamois 542, in Moersch Easy Lith. I usually used dilutions of 1+25 (or so), plus an additional 100ml of Old Brown. As well, since my darkroom was so cold, I often started hot (around 30-35 degrees) as the developer would cool off too rapidly between prints (even with a water bath to keep it warm). Most of my developing times run between 5-12 minutes, and I usually overexpose by +3 stops. Sorry I can't be more specific than that -- I rarely keep notes (except basic info on the back of prints) and I print very erratically in the darkroom (when it comes to Lith) - often changing between paper types and negatives within one session. Not the best system, I know, but it's worked out well enough up to now. That being said, I hope to be more consistent in the coming year.

Pete H
12-28-2008, 06:33 AM
Rachelle,

I also received your print on Christmas Eve. What a great Christmas present! I love the browns shading to pink highlights, and the simple but rich composition. And what's through the archway? Something to ponder while enjoying your print.

Thank you!

Pete

rst
12-30-2008, 06:30 AM
I also got Rachelles beautiful print right after Christmas. Very well done. I like that paper but I have not tried it myself yet.

My prints are drying right now. After a night or two under a heavy book I am going to mount them and send them out early in January.

I intended to send one of my cyclists series. But then I came home yesterday from a postcarders meeting with Ingo and Mick where we visited Ludwigsburg. I rethought about my decision and now you will end up with an image I took yesterday in Ludwigsburg. So although I am the latest in our group, the image I send will be a fresh one ;)

It is also the first time I tried Wolfgang Moerschs Ω-Lith and it did exactly what I wanted it to do.

Cheers
Ruediger

mooseontheloose
12-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Lillian, Pete, and Ruediger,

Thanks for all your comments. I love the chamois paper by Foma, although learned through a lot of trial and error that it doesn't work for every image. Not that it matters anymore, since it's been discontinued :(...although I do have some of the new 532 II waiting to be tested. ;)

Lillian -- I love your print of the Matsutake mushroom. You've done an amazing job of keeping all the delicate details intact and the choice of paper really suits the subject.

Pete H
01-08-2009, 04:51 AM
Lillian, Rachelle, and Ruediger,

Finally I got my prints into the post today. I'm sorry they're late!

Wishing you all the best for the new year

Pete

rst
01-14-2009, 07:13 AM
Lillian, Rachelle, and Ruediger,

Finally I got my prints into the post today. I'm sorry they're late!

Wishing you all the best for the new year

Pete
Hi Pete,

I got your wonderful print a few days ago. Sorry for commenting so late but I was busy.

So I am the last in our group to send the prints :( They are ready and will go out later today. I hope you will like it.

Cheers
Ruediger

Pete H
01-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi Ruediger,

Today a beautiful surprise was waiting for me at home.

I like the way that the slats in the back of the bench continue the pattern of the wall behind, and the narrow depth of field. What is through the gate? It invites the viewer to speculate.

You've done a good job of taming the orangeness of the paper too. Perhaps I should try your recipe.

Many thanks!
Pete

mooseontheloose
01-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Pete,

I received your print of the eider duck today. I love the almost graphic quality of the image and the gold toning really enhances the effect. I've tried the Kentona but have yet to find a way to work with it that suits my sensibilities -- your image has inspired me to try it once again.

rst
01-20-2009, 01:58 AM
Thanks for your kind comment Pete. Well, the longer I compare the orange one and the one I sent, the more I think that I should have sent the orange one. Too bad.

When participating in print exchanges these days you not only get nice surprises in the mailbox, but also when sending the prints. When I sent them I realized, that the prices for sending prints international decreased. So instead of 8 Euro per print I only had to pay 6 Euro. So hopefully they will make their way to Canada all the same.

Cheers
Ruediger