PDA

View Full Version : Fred Pickers Classic Trilogy on DVD

Pages : [1] 2

Richard Newman
11-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Hello All,

Fred Pickerís Classic Trilogy, Photographing, The Negative: Exposure and Development and Printing with Fred Picker are now Digitally Remastered unto 1 DVD. Dedicated to his love of black and white film photography, Fred was an
innovative photographer, author and teacher with a passion for photography and fishing. We at Calumet are proud to announce this DVD. It's 3 hours in length. Here's a link to the Fred Picker DVD http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/CE9940/?a=APUG&t=APUG
I hope you al enjoy it as much as we enjoyed putting it together. I'd also like to mention a big thanks to Bruce Barlow for his participation in the original videos.

doughowk
11-20-2008, 07:20 PM
I've seen one of his videos and am looking forward to viewing the DVD. His book on the Fine Print is very good, and his newsletters were a valuable source of information.

mmcclellan
11-21-2008, 02:03 AM
Why doesn't Calumet also put the entire Newsletter collection onto a DVD? That's a great asset for any photographer's library; I've probably read my entire series a dozen times and will do so again. Just a thought. :)

hal9000
11-21-2008, 11:04 AM
I have been discussing the possibility of putting the Fred Picker Newsletters online with Brendan Sullivan from Calumet (Jeremy has offered to host them on a university server). I would like to see Calumet put the newsletter collection onto DVD and offer them for sale, if they don't see that as financially worthwhile then it would be great to get permission to host them online. The most important thing is that they are made available in some way.
Hal

doughowk
11-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Just received the DVD and it is excellent. A real bargain.

jeroldharter
11-30-2008, 08:45 AM
Just purchased it from Calumet.

jgjbowen
11-30-2008, 10:15 AM
would really like to hear about the quality of the videos. I own all 3 of the original videos, and would jump at the chance to own them on DVD, but the image quality of the "trailer" does't look any better then my Old VHS tapes.

Thanks in advance for your input.

doughowk
11-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Quality - the image on my DVD/TV combination seems fine. However, on the Mac or PC, it seems somewhat less than perfect - out of focus. Not sure why that would be (the TV is analog ;-)

JHannon
11-30-2008, 03:22 PM
I just ordered it too. The quality in the trailer looks much better than my attempt using a Plextor Video converter to DVD. (I was worried about my VHS tapes breaking...) If they have a good master and much better equipment, it should at least be as good as the originals.

I bought all three as original VHS tapes. I would love to see the newsletters get released too. I bought an almost complete collection and have read and re-read them. It would be nice to have the missing newsletters.

--John

JBrunner
11-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Quality - the image on my DVD/TV combination seems fine. However, on the Mac or PC, it seems somewhat less than perfect - out of focus. Not sure why that would be (the TV is analog ;-)

Probably as the original production was analog NTSC the effective resolution on a DVD is going to be in the neighborhood of 640x480. On a computer screen thats not a lot of information to spread across the whole screen, and you are likely sitting pretty close. It also depends on how they were able to source the video, from the masters, or from downstream. It is pretty difficult to up-res this older stuff. I'm sure it is as good as Calumet could make it given the vintage.

Richard Newman
12-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Hello All,

Yes we cleaned it up as much as the technology allows us to. There was a lot of time spent in color correction and getting the audio levels correct. Here's a link to the trailer if you'd like to take a look: http://vidego.multicastmedia.com/player.php?v=cybq3ko9
We wanted to present these in the best possible format.
Richard

Mike Wilde
12-01-2008, 02:50 PM
There has been interst in seeing if Fred's periodical newsletters could see the light of day again. This video re-release might give hope that the issue of who owns the rights to the printed word work might get cleared up.

mikebarger
12-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Is there a question as to owns the rights?

Mike

Allen
12-09-2008, 02:14 PM
I just purchased it from Calumet off ebay, there it's $29.99 + free shipping.

jeroldharter
12-09-2008, 03:28 PM
I bought it from calumet and watched it on my laptop. The video quality is so-so but adequate. The information was great and I enjoyed it. Thank you Calumet for re-producing this. You might advertise it more on APUG like the DMAX newsletter ad.

naeroscatu
12-17-2008, 02:19 PM
I also got the DVD from Calumet. The price of the DVD is reasonable however Calumet offers UPS shipping to Canada which sucks because they deliver during business hours when no one is home. They do that three days and won't drop the parcel in your garage because they need payment for the brokerage fee:rolleyes: another $23 on top of what I paid to Calumet already. You end up driving across the city to pick-up your own parcel and pay the brokerage fee. Extremely inconvenient and expensive :mad:. What is wrong with USPS/ Canada Post which brings the parcel to my mail box free of additional charges? Yes, it takes longer so what it should be customers choice.

mikebarger
12-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Have you seen how many of the VHS tapes are popping up on ebay now that the DVD is out?

Mike

stehranw
01-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Hi,

it seems that Calumet won't ship that DVD to Germany at all. Calumet in Germany doesn't sell it anyway. Would anyone from U.S. purchase it for me and ship it to Germany? Would be very kind.

stehranw

Mark Crabtree
01-07-2013, 03:29 PM
It might well be a video standards issue.

payral
01-08-2013, 03:41 AM
I bought it years ago from Calumet and they sent it to France, why not to Germany ?