PDA

View Full Version : Melenex subbed film base

Pages : 1 [2]

AgX
12-01-2008, 04:55 PM
PET base for the industry not neccessarily needs to be subbed. It can be activated (radicals-forming) by plasma-technology within the coater just prior to coating.

Photo Engineer
12-01-2008, 05:43 PM
PET base for the industry not neccessarily needs to be subbed. It can be activated (radicals-forming) by plasma-technology within the coater just prior to coating.

And you just happen to have a bombarder in your darkroom? :D

This high voltage electron bombardment equipment is neither inexpensive nor easily and safely used in a home darkroom. You will probably also disrupt all radio and TV reception along with cell phones within about 100 - 500 feet of your site. :D

PE

AgX
12-02-2008, 03:17 AM
PE,

You totally got me wrong. Of course I know of the inherent problems of such a kind of preparation and I never thought of any DIY use of it.

But I just wanted to indicate that not neccessarily all photo-grade PET stock on offer is subbed.

Steve Smith
12-02-2008, 03:39 AM
We (at work) use polyester sheet including Melinex to screen print conductive silver ink onto. A lot of polyester is available with ink receptive surface treatments. Some of these would probably also be receptive to emulsion.

Steve.

Photo Engineer
12-02-2008, 08:33 AM
PE,

You totally got me wrong. Of course I know of the inherent problems of such a kind of preparation and I never thought of any DIY use of it.

But I just wanted to indicate that not neccessarily all photo-grade PET stock on offer is subbed.

Sorry. I said that more tongue in cheek. No offense intended.

PE

Sal Santamaura
12-02-2008, 10:18 AM
...You will probably also disrupt all radio and TV reception along with cell phones within about 100 - 500 feet of your site...Are there any other advantages to this method? :D:D:D

AgX
12-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Esters based on cellulosis can be softened by solvents. By this approach solvent containing subbing layers can be made which form an intermediate between emulsion and base.

PET, which is an ester too, though is hard to dissolve. Thus other approches had to be looked for. Making the PET reaktive is one way to do.

Hologram
12-03-2008, 04:48 AM
[QUOTE=AgX;716130]
Esters based on cellulosis can be softened by solvents. By this approach solvent containing subbing layers can be made which form an intermediate between emulsion and base./QUOTE]

Yes. You might use highly diluted nitrocellulose varnish for example. You might apply this to a piece of PET film by dip coating.