PDA

View Full Version : contact printing to casting resin and plexi

tinyfailures
12-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Does anyone have a formula for an emulsion that will hold silver, gold, platinum/palladium and gum+gouache to plexi and casting resin in a dry state such that layers of these metals and paint can be applied/dried/contact-printed, then coated and re-registered with subsequent layers (like gum separations) to create a thick slab photograph that has somewhat holographic depth?

I believe gum arabic is too weak to maintain this sort of suspension (once put in the water bath) and I don't want to sand down the plexi. The problem with using some clear glue is that I can't wash/develop/fix the layer once exposed. I think I need some semi-permeable emulsion that can stand up to water and harden to take another layer of emulsion.

Suggestions?

Vaughn
12-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Carbon printing? Dried gelatin is pretty tough stuff. The carbon suspended in it can't be chemically damaged.
You'd have to work with some sort of pin registration as one will not be able to register it visually.

Vaughn

wildbillbugman
12-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Hi,
Contact Bostick and Sullivan in Santa FE,NM. They may have something along those lines. Tell them Bill Winkler refered you.(505)474-0890
Bill

wildbillbugman
12-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Hi again,
I should try to explane more. I have developed a subbing for printing Pt/Pd/Au/gum on glass. It is coated onto glass,dried, then either Pt/Pd or gold or gum are applied, dried and contact printed,beveloped and cleared. I have a confidentiality agreement with B&S and have worked with Dana Sullivan in the aplications of this subbing. They may still have some sample material they could send to you.
I would be interested in your results.
Bill