PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas Cookie from Santa

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Photo Engineer
04-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Disk 2 was completed this AM with labels and covers. The master from Disk 1 had an unrecoverable fault at 43 minutes. I had to take them a new master for Disk 1 this AM to fix things. I saw Disk 2 on the finishing line.

Thanks for your interest. So far, Kirk is the only APUG member that has viewed them. I hope to give my GEH lunch friends a chance to see it when we have lunch this Wednesday. I will have them at the October workshop at GEH.

PE

Kirk Keyes
05-03-2011, 12:26 AM
I'm certain the GEH fellows will enjoy the DVD as much as I did!

Photo Engineer
05-03-2011, 10:40 AM
I just returned from the plant here where they burn DVDs. I have 2 boxes of disks and I will be testing them out in a short while. I will be giving some out tomorrow at our lunch at GEH.

Thanks Kirk.

PE

Tom Kershaw
05-03-2011, 10:43 AM
PE,

Are these pressed discs or DVD-Rs?

Tom

Photo Engineer
05-03-2011, 11:42 AM
These are DVD-Rs. They have a complete "dress" for sale and are NTSC. The source is scanned and error corrected between layers using the scanning analysis and is stored on a hard drive. It is written at high speed to a duplicator about the size of an automobile. A former Kodak / IBM employee is product manager and I got to see the entire process personally.

I can get the disks in PAL format as well if sales justify it.

I just finished watching most of Disk #1 and it looks just fine!

PE

Tom Kershaw
05-03-2011, 12:01 PM
PAL discs are obviously an anvantage for European and UK purchasers; the quality can be higher as well depending on the origination format.

Tom

Photo Engineer
05-03-2011, 12:22 PM
I've been viewing Disk #2 and so far it looks just fine.

The original material was shot in HD, onto tape, and using a 3 sensor Sony camera. The quality is quite high.

The engineer at the duplicating service give me reason to believe that the NTSC disks can be viewed on any computer, but that it cannot be viewed on TV sets in Europe or England. So, there is some choice or option here and it will increase the cost of the PAL disks due to the conversion.

PE

Athiril
05-21-2011, 09:27 PM
No bluray edition? ;)

Most new TVs since 10-20 years ago here also have NTSC modes in them. Most DVD players should output the appropriate format to the TV anyway.

Photo Engineer
05-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Well, I base this on a DVD from someone in Europe which will not play here in the US even though it is NTSC. And, I am not the only one with that problem. So, I hope to work out this "exchange" problem beforehand.

PE

Diapositivo
05-22-2011, 06:43 AM
Most every DVD player sold in Europe reads and shows both NTSC and PAL formats. Actually most of them are probably able to output to both a PAL and a NTSC TV set. If a DVD is not viewable in a certain continent it is because of a deliberate choice by the publisher, a protection against copyright infringement. So if you publish the DVD it's your choice whether to insert the protection or not. Most computer DVD readers would not honour the copyright protection anyway and would show the DVD content in any case as far as I know.

Athiril
05-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Well, I base this on a DVD from someone in Europe which will not play here in the US even though it is NTSC. And, I am not the only one with that problem. So, I hope to work out this "exchange" problem beforehand.

PE

That sounds like region locking.

U.S. is region 1. If you can still alter the discs you should ask them to make your DVD region free or region 0 or region ALL (either one), that will maximise compatability, as well as lack of bad/corrupt sector style copy protection, though your discs are not pressed as you said they're DVD-R's right? So I doubt they'd have that.

Many modern hollywood movie DVDs will not play on computers properly, and some TV DVD players, even with intermediate software like AnyDVD (until a new update comes out.. usually a bit late) due to such severe copy protection methods, such as corrupt sectors, and bad IFOs that violate standards. Symptoms include locking up, freezing and skipping... each time in a different section of the movie if you play it again.. I pay for not-in-cinema movies, yet I can't watch them, so I stopped and just download them now for a reliable quality experience.

In any case, its not hard to get around.

Random brand cheap DVD players are better than brand name, they have better compatabilitie, read more codecs for non-stand stuff simply read formats regardless what its on (DVD on a CD - 20 minute DVD eg etc), and aren't region locked.

Though you can get codes to unlock region locked DVD players here by ringing tech support (or looking online) as region locking is technically illegal in Australia (artificially limiting market choice).

NTSC vs PAL isn't a problem, one is 720x480 29.97 fps, the other is 720x576 25 fps (PAL), resolution is the same regardless of image aspect ratio. PAL vs NTSC was only a problem for old CRTs synced to the mains power supply (U.S. 60 Hz, Pal countries 50 Hz). Even old modern CRTs have both modes. And then many DVD players can output to either format anyway, so it's not really much of a problem.

You can also have a data section on DVD discs that accompany video, if you want to put a video file on there, or you could host one online via vimeo or something for customers, though that would likely get leaked publicly quickly.

Kirk Keyes
05-23-2011, 01:13 AM
I've had a Sony DVD player in the USA that would not play a Region 0 DVD that was purchased from England. It doesn't fix everything, but it's certainly worth setting the DVDs to be region free.

Athiril
06-19-2011, 01:22 AM
Anyway... so how much extra to get my book signed? :)

Photo Engineer
06-19-2011, 09:01 AM
IDK yet. I have to figure out what my signature is worth! :D

Some say I am totally worthless......... ;)

PE

studiocarter
06-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Hi,
Does this thread mean that you will have DVDs of techniques about dry plate making for us at the emulsion class?
Michael

Photo Engineer
06-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Michael;

I will show some dry plate coating using my methods. I have posted a set of 6 or so photos here of Mark Osterman coating dry plates using the traditional method. If you take the workshop here at GEH in Oct. you can talk to us both and probably get to see one coated.

PE

Athiril
06-20-2011, 05:15 AM
October hey.

Worthless? Not for those who appreciate it! :)

Photo Engineer
07-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Good news.

The DVDs are complete including labels and jewel cases with fancy printing!

I just got the final quote on mass production and the first run will be ready sometime next week. I am pricing them out, and arranging distribution. These will probably be available before the book.

My associates who have seen them feel that they will do the job very nicely. My thanks to them for taking the time to view them.

PE

holmburgers
07-12-2011, 11:41 AM
How will you go about selling them?

Photo Engineer
07-12-2011, 12:29 PM
I am arranging distribution and that will be announced when completed.

PE