PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas Cookie from Santa

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Photo Engineer
07-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Does it have a prize in it like a plum pudding? Maybe a silver coin or a Super Hero toy. Either would do! :D

PE

Athiril
07-16-2011, 08:20 PM
How about a Nikola Tesla figurine? :)

We used to have the silver coin thing at Christmas.

Photo Engineer
07-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Well, frankly, I like authentic plum podding better than chocolate cake. More flavor. But here, we called it "Johnny Bull Pudding".

Anyhow, I really cannot eat desserts anymore as I am trying to reduce. Thanks Dan!

:D

PE

Athiril
07-16-2011, 10:03 PM
No desserts?! Well you know what they say; coffee makes it possible to get out of bed, but chocolate makes it worthwhile! :)

I'd like to see someone try and pod plums...:laugh:

Photo Engineer
07-16-2011, 10:38 PM
I have a cup of chocolate every day! See my answer on the other thread Dan.

PE

wildbillbugman
07-16-2011, 10:53 PM
[QUOTE=Photo Engineer;1210198]On my "to do" list after the book is finished:

1. High speed panchromatic emulsion (ISO 100 - 400) I have been trying with poor results, but I have a new setup as shown in other threads.

Ron, Are you using the Sands dyes that you suggested to us so long, long ago?
Are your "poor results" poor with regard to color balance? Speed? Something else?
A venture dear to me wee little (but hard as a diamond) heart!
Bill:alien:

Photo Engineer
07-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Bill;

I have dyes from Sands and now from Honeywell in Germany. I will be using those.

The faults in the emulsion include sever aggregation due to less than optimal mixing as I noted in another post here. The problem also includes low speed due to the mixing and also due to the low flow rates required for the nucleation step. I am working on all of these.

If you look at most of the emulsions we make, we use high speed addition (1 - 10 mins) with very concentrated solutions of Silver Nitrate and salt. So we may add very rapidly. The modern high speed emulsions that I worked with require similar addition times for the nucleation step, but use very very dilute solutions at very very low flow rates. Then you go to the high flow rate to grow the crystal. These makes take up to 3 hours.

PE

dwross
07-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Bill;

I've thought about this for a day or so since you suggested that the book be released first. I see your reasoning but I would like to bring to your attention the fact that you have seen all parts of my course, and this may be influencing your POV. For those who are wavering about homemade emulsions, perhaps the disk will be valuable to them, as much so as the book.

PE

OK, I'm flummoxed. I completely agree with the above sentiment. If just a bit of written explanatory info could be included with the DVD, I think the book will be the icing on the cake, not the other way around. Is it really so important to understand every little detail of the physical chemistry of emulsion making to make an emulsion -- a good emulsion -- and enjoy the process?

I've been cheerleading for the book for five years. I very much look forward to reading it, but it will be a wonderful addition, not a necessary starting point. All the threads here on APUG and The Light Farm have more than enough technical info for beginners. Moving pictures are the ideal next step (and I don't wanna do it :) ) Go, PE, go!

d
www.thelightfarm.com

Photo Engineer
07-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks Denise. I take delivery of a case of disks on Monday or Tuesday. Now I have to sell them or keep them in a safe place here! They are done. There was one error on the DVD, and it was corrected in a very amusing way.

I have been thinking about a stuffer for the DVD with some explanatory information.

I am editing the book at present, but the hot weather and Bob Shanebrook's very good editing have slowed me down a bit. I'll get there. After that, I have two more editorial note sheets to go over and then I have to add a section on sensitometry and one on mixing, fix the bibliography, and then renumber pages, figures and TOC. I have already finished several pages of corrections from others, so that is behind me.

I'll be done soon unless I melt from the heat.

PE

Sirius Glass
07-17-2011, 01:46 PM
PE,

Do you have enough to do now that you are retired? :whistling:

Steve

Sirius Glass
07-17-2011, 02:00 PM
OK, I'm flummoxed. I completely agree with the above sentiment. If just a bit of written explanatory info could be included with the DVD, I think the book will be the icing on the cake, not the other way around. Is it really so important to understand every little detail of the physical chemistry of emulsion making to make an emulsion -- a good emulsion -- and enjoy the process?

I've been cheerleading for the book for five years. I very much look forward to reading it, but it will be a wonderful addition, not a necessary starting point. All the threads here on APUG and The Light Farm have more than enough technical info for beginners. Moving pictures are the ideal next step (and I don't wanna do it :) ) Go, PE, go!

d
www.thelightfarm.com (http://www.thelightfarm.com)

Even though I am concentrating on learning on my 4"x5" photography and I cannot even think of working on making emulsion while I am working in Virginia, I found www.thelightfarm.com (http://www.thelightfarm.com/) is one of the most fascinating websites that I have seen in years! KUDOS!!!

Steve

wildbillbugman
07-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Bill;

I have dyes from Sands and now from Honeywell in Germany. I will be using those.

PE
Hi Ron,
Now I just godda ask: What is it about the Honeywell dyes that intrests you? Will you be using them to the exclusion of the Sands dyes? Do I have the wrong $150.00/gram dyes? The Sands dyes seam to be doing what they are suppoed to do. But is there a potentialy better way? O course! There is ALWAYS a better way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
As regarding the Book first rather than the DVD first rather than the Book first:
" In The Beginning was The Word. " - Somewhere in the Christian Bible.
Not " In The Biginning was the DVD.";)

wildbillbugman
07-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Steve,
I whole heatedly agree. (And I rarely agree with anyone about anything.) Not only is Denise's www.thelightfarm.com a very clear "no nonsense" guide to emulsion making, but Denise was of immeasurable help to me when I started actualy making emulsions. This was about 18 months after taking Ron's workshop and I was rusty, to say the least. I can attest to the fact that, when Denise says something about silver/gelatin emulsion making, it is based on rigerous testing and retesting. No B.S. ever comes from her mouth or fingers, when it comes to emulsions.
Bill

Photo Engineer
07-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Bill;

Honeywell has a blue sensitizing dye, an antihalation dye and an acutance dye. Thats about it for what I have. Basically, what I could not find at Sands, I found at Honeywell and vice versa.

PE

wildbillbugman
07-17-2011, 03:53 PM
PE,
A blue sensitising dye- y to uncrease overal speed(?). Is it possible for a "civilian" to purchase these dyes?
Bill

Photo Engineer
07-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Bill;

You can surely order them. I got the blue dye to improve the sensitivity of the Azo emulsion in some experiments. Yes, you can increase blue sensitivity with dyes, just not a great deal.

PE

Kirk Keyes
07-17-2011, 06:38 PM
I'll be done soon unless I melt from the heat.

PE

You can come visit me for a while - it's been in the low 70s the last week, and today is about 68F and raining...

Photo Engineer
07-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Kirk, it has been the driest summer in over 20 years here. Everything is suffering. The worst part is that the temp was in the high 60s to low 70s last week and now it is in the 90s. So..... We expect 96 by midweek.

Thankfully, the humidity is about 33% but is expected to rise a lot tomorrow.

And, come to GEH in Oct and be my assistant as you have so ably done in the past. :D You and I can work in my lab for a week after that. Oh, yeah, thats going to happen no matter what. But, you can see the spot of honor my wife gave to your print of the Grand Tetons.

Best wishes.

PE

wildbillbugman
07-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Kirk,
You should have a chapter in PE's next book; on T-grain emulsions.
Bill

dwross
07-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks, Steve and Bill. Nice words to hear.