PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas Cookie from Santa

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Photo Engineer
07-18-2011, 03:34 PM
The DVDs are here. I am going to randomly check a few and also work on pricing and distribution.

I agree in a sense with Bill that the book and disks should go together, but then again, you don't have to buy the DVDs. So, they are here and I am working on getting them out the door.

PE

wildbillbugman
07-18-2011, 04:40 PM
PE,
Just your agreement with me from a philisophical view is enough!. I understand your desire to start recouping your investment as early as you can. I also understand those who want to get started ASAP. But I will hold off and get the DVD when the book is ready. Then I will read the book befor I watch the DVD. I need to exercize my aging brain. Trying to delay ( or should I say slow down) sinility.

Bill

wildbillbugman
07-18-2011, 04:46 PM
BTW PE,
What if some of the DVDs that you randomly check have serious flaws, and some are good ? Will you have to check them all ? That could get tedious!
Bill

c.d.ewen
07-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Ron:

Send me one. I'll check it right away. :joyful:

Charley

Photo Engineer
07-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Bill;

They have a checksum and parity checking routing for the original and for the disks as they are made. So far, no problems. The company is very reliable.

Charley;

Tit for tat. I want several cases of your home brew!

PE

Diapositivo
07-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Are the DVDs printed as an industrial CD, I mean with "embossed" bits, or are they like a CD-R?
In the second case waiting is not necessarily a good idea as the discs will fade over time. You know how these projects go. The book might be 18 months away. And by then, the DVDs will be 18 months older.

wildbillbugman
07-18-2011, 11:15 PM
Just what happens when a CD-R "fades"? Dose the color fade ? The sound fade? The aroma or taste? I would hate for a salty-sweet DVD to become bitter. And I wouldn't like it if Ron's voice sounded like one of those old Italian Operas recorded in the 1930s.
Bill

Athiril
07-18-2011, 11:27 PM
I doubt anyone makes them (plain cyanine dye optical discs) anymore perhaps except for the super dirt cheap no-brand stuff CD-R's.

DVD-R's never used plain cyanine dyes as iirc they cannot be used for DVD's (I think.. maybe early cheap ones)

Many DVD-R's use Azo dyes (which make good CD-R's), the good DVD-R's dont use Azo, but cyanine derivatives (or modified) or pthalocyanine, like Taiyo Yuden discs and others.

Photo Engineer
07-19-2011, 08:58 AM
The company that made these, claimed that conventional CD-Rs were inferior, and that they used a high quality disk and process. That is all I can tell you. They are also a big company and supply many other large companies with finished DVDs.

PE

wildbillbugman
07-25-2011, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE=Photo Engineer;1101015]
3. Making a Pan Masking film for Dye Trans
Ron
Dose this mean I can quit and just wait for you? Why only for Dye Tranfer. Could not anyone use this emulsion as a negative for any process requiring a negative. I know that for Dye Tranfeer you will not use a hardener. I
Bill

Photo Engineer
07-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Bill;

The film will be slow. I'll work up from there. :D

You can do some pretty good R&D yourself. Why wait for me. I'm old and slow!

PE

wildbillbugman
07-25-2011, 03:15 PM
PE,
Thanks PE
Then I will not wait for you. I am very close. I just have to ballance the color sensitity. Then I have to look at some other factors, like accutance. But I don't know that I will need to. My goal is to make an emulsion suitable for in camera color separations. My speeds have surprized even me.
Bill

Photo Engineer
08-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Here is the "cover" that I am working with for the DVD and the cover and first page of the book. It shows scenes from the DVD that illustrate each point. I am in the final stages of work on the DVD and the book is moving along as well.

PE

wildbillbugman
08-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Nice PE,
Are those your hands? Wouldn't KODAK have used slender female hands, with multi-colored nail polish?
Bill

c.d.ewen
08-17-2011, 05:04 AM
Nice PE,
Are those your hands? Wouldn't KODAK have used slender female hands, with multi-colored nail polish?
Bill

Now there's something I'd like to see - a casting call for a Ron Mowry body double :laugh:

Charley

michaelbsc
08-17-2011, 05:27 AM
Now there's something I'd like to see - a casting call for a Ron Mowry body double :laugh:

Charley

With multicolored nail polish?

I don't think so.

Photo Engineer
08-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Yecch, nail polish? Never.

PE

JOSarff
08-17-2011, 02:02 PM
I don't know... three color primaries, three color secondaries, neutral gray, white and black reference plus one left over for a resolution chart....

c.d.ewen
08-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Yecch, nail polish? Never.

PE

Ron:
Be advised: Don't fall asleep with an 8 yr-old granddaughter in the house. :sleeping:

Charley

wildbillbugman
08-18-2011, 02:23 AM
Ah come on Ron. You know that KODAK woulda played the non-subliminal,blatently sexual inticement forte`. That woman in the Color Chart-GHEEOW!!
Bill