PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas Cookie from Santa

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Photo Engineer
11-14-2010, 07:11 PM
As an afterthought, I might mention that only about 6 people have seen the book, and only one to really do more than skim through so far. All have actually been APUG members, but not by design. Two of them have responded here, and the rest have responded in person. The response to me has been very good. Four people have seen the DVDs. I had direct response there as well.

About 30 people have gone through my 6 workshops and have made the formulas themselves. I pretty much keep in touch with them as needed.

About six people have been sent sample coatings or sample emulsions, and I have only heard from 2 on the emulsion or coating samples. This is not a very good response.

No one who has posted in this thread has seen the book or DVDs, nor have they had samples of the emulsion or coatings sent to them.

I hope this answers questions you all may have and which was posed by Ray above.

PE

Athiril
11-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Someone who takes their photography seriously or is passionate about it just might is my guess - providing their passion for photography encompasses the analogue side of the coin (given the cost of photography) - I've seen enthusiasts put down $4k no a camera body, then $2k on a lens, then accessories on the digital side of things...

A second volume would be good, you could reference the first. :)

Ray Rogers
11-14-2010, 10:42 PM
:)

All good information.

This thread asked about pricing; I gave my opinion.
despite it's bitter taste, I think there is truth in it.

That is really all I can say.

As you know, some people will pay a $100 for a melon,
or several hundred for a bottle of wine.

A lot of people just can't do that.

wildbillbugman
11-15-2010, 12:18 AM
It just seams logical to me that,knowing the price of AgNO3, a person who frets over whether a highly desirable text is worth $150 vs $50 should maybe be doing Cyanotypes from digital paper negatives. Or maybe crossword puzzles.
Good night everybody,
Bill

Ray Rogers
11-15-2010, 12:52 AM
I agree totally - Let them eat cake!

x-ray

On short notice:
1 Down: Opposite of tame
2 Across: Unwanted paper
3 Across: To get on someone's nerves (slang)
4 Down: A masculine explicitive

Ray Rogers
11-15-2010, 01:59 AM
Maybe it is unwise to take financial advice from the financially challenged
Good night ya'll

Photo Engineer
11-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Maybe it is unwise for a retiree on a pension to try to do this. Especially alone!

PE

Ray Rogers
11-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Maybe it is unwise for a retiree on a pension to try to do this. Especially alone!
PE

:D

Lucky you have a pension!
But, you're not alone.

Mustafa Umut Sarac
11-15-2010, 02:55 PM
I think there are two worldwide accepted ways to manufacture something.

First , American way , let a boss decide the colors of cars and produce them and blow in your hand.

Second , japanese way , production on demand

Third , after Japan blowed off , sell everything at a digital form with a digital payment.

Ron , If APUG ers are your only customers , sell the book via APUG as a download file.
It will cheap for you and for us.

To write a book is the result of investing your life in it. Every book comes in same way. So your book is not different from others . I will never be able to invest photography more than 200 dollars and American Economy is falling , so expensive books will not sell.

Lower the price make reachable to audience and the market.

Earn from the demand , not from the price. China sells a motorcycle for African Roads for 350 dollars , an Yamaha copy Tenor Sax for 125 dollars and You are thinking to sell your book for 100 dollars.

Many alternative people , BW people will buy it to search for a new idea. If the book comes expensive , they turn to alternative sources. I can now download millions of books from internet free.

Umut

wildbillbugman
11-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Umut,
What, in God's gray Earth, is "blow in your hand"? Or is this something that I would rather not know?:whistling?:whistling::D

Athiril
11-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Umut,
What, in God's gray Earth, is "blow in your hand"? Or is this something that I would rather not know?:whistling?:whistling::D

It's a new way of putting it...

Photo Engineer
11-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Well, I now have the master copy of the book and the DVDs to go out for duplication and editing!

I hope to give out 4 - 5 copies next week or the week after to friends.

PE

totalamateur
11-16-2010, 09:23 PM
PE;

Glad to hear it's looking ready - I look forward to seeing a final price and delivery options. Might ask for a copy (or disk) for my stocking this year.

Regards.

Tim Gray
11-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Considering the amount of knowledge you have, the time you've put in, and the expense to you, around $100 seems like a fair price. I say go for color unless the color doesn't add much. I don't know how the graphics have been designed so I don't know how well they hold up in B&W or in gray.

A PDF version would be great too, if you could figure a way to not have to worry about it being passed around for free. PDF's are easily searchable.

hvandam2
11-16-2010, 09:39 PM
PE, I look forward to this a great deal!

I received my copy of the great book on Kodak Film production by Robert Shanebrook and that just whet my appetite for more.

I appreciate your sharing this knowledge with us!

Howard

Photo Engineer
11-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Ok, I have gone for full page text with 5" wide photos in color or B&W to show detail. Two column restricts detail too much and photos wider takes up too much vertical space.

Dont count on Christmas this year. I am sending 4 copies to friends for editing first. So, think May - Sept 2011.

The printer promised this PM, but never called. I expected to pick up the 4 copies this afternoon or early evening and no-go. So, I also have to depend on others.

By my figure, the Silver Nitrate alone cost me about $900 and printing costs were well over $300 so far.

Sorry.

PE

Kirk Keyes
11-17-2010, 01:15 AM
Sorry I'm a bit late in posting, but whatever the price is, I'm in. Haveing spent a long evening a year and a half ago reading whichever version of the draft it was and also spending more than an hour watching the DVD, I'm willing and happy to pay $100 for even a B&W only version of this book. I know it will be well worth whatever price you decide to set.

Afterall, where else can someone get all that info in one place?

Ron - Congratulations on this labor of love. I know you've spent a lot of time and money on this book.

Kirk

PS - if you need more reviewers...

PPS - I'm willing to send in $50 as a down-payment to help get the first run printed.

c.d.ewen
11-17-2010, 05:43 AM
PPS - I'm willing to send in $50 as a down-payment to help get the first run printed.

If a little cash in hand from subscribers will speed the process, I'm in too.

Charley

Alex Bishop-Thorpe
11-17-2010, 06:20 AM
Considering it is a textbook of some respectable volume (and labour), I'd pay more than $100USD for a copy. I dont mind saving for books, knowledge is the only thing worth investing in these days anyway.
I'm also heavily in favour of colour printing. It may not be art, but it is science - accuracy in the reproduction should be high on the agenda, and I dont think black and white would really cut it.

Photo Engineer
11-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Alright, looks like the $90 - $120 range is doable for the B&W version. I'm looking at the color version. I have 4 copies of the B&W version here for the editors and am about to dupe the DVDs. There may be a CD as well with some extras (cookies again). I'll keep you posted. The DVDs will probably be in the $100 range.

PE