PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas Cookie from Santa

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Tim Gray
11-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Ron, have you thought about maybe getting someone in to help with the typesetting?

Kirk Keyes
11-18-2010, 09:56 PM
I like the photos! They tell a story in their own.

I think I would split up the layout of the titles and the author's name. I would do it like this:

PHOTOGRAPHIC EMULSIONS (all in caps, on a line by themself. Use a larger font for this line, and justify it across the top of the book.)

Making, Coating, Testing (all on the second line. Perhaps in caps too for consistency, but I think I would put them in italics, and at a smaller font than the first line of the title.)

(Then the 3 photos just as you have them.)

R. G. Mowrey (Mix of caps and lower case. Right Justified. Note the omission of "by".)

Note I changed the title of your book slightly - from "PHOTOGRAPHIC EMULSION" to "PHOTOGRAPHIC EMULSIONS". I think it reads better, especially when the title is split up as I propose.

Kirk

Athiril
11-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Spruce up the cover. I'm sure there are quite a few peeps on here good with design, I'm not bad myself either. Look at other books for inspiration? :)

Perhaps draw some styling from 18th/19th century books even..

hrst
11-19-2010, 06:18 AM
Looks VERY nice! Nice to have a real introduction to the subject in cover picture. This is rarely seen, but works like a charm in this case. Goes 1:1 with the title.

wildbillbugman
11-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Hi Ron,
How come the top picture is bathed in green light? A magenta sensitive emulsion, with no blue or green sensitivity?
Kirk,
I tawt tcha was dead!
Bill

Bill

Photo Engineer
11-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Bill;

The top photo, as all stills and video taken "for real and in the dark" was done with IR light which is rendered in green by the sensor in my videocam.

PE

wildbillbugman
11-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Ron,
For the purpose of the book, could you change the green cast to red? I really don't mean to nit pick. But the green cast looks very out of place.
Bill

Photo Engineer
11-19-2010, 07:20 PM
Bill;

The green cast is throughout the book and the DVDs due to the nature of the videography. Sorry.

I guess that shows me that you cannot please everyone. Maybe I'll end up pleasing no one.

PE

wildbillbugman
11-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Ron,
No big deal. I only hope that your readers don't equip their darkrooms with green safe lights, then try to make an ortho emulsion.
Bill

Kirk Keyes
11-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Kirk,
I tawt tcha was dead!
Bill

Bill

Not dead - just not as much free time as before...

Kirk

PS - I'd send you my obituary if I was going to die so you would know!

Athiril
11-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Ron,
No big deal. I only hope that your readers don't equip their darkrooms with green safe lights, then try to make an ortho emulsion.
Bill

I think Ron's book would be far beyond such people, and that a remedial high school science book would first be more helpful.

Formulary/Bud Wilson
11-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Ron;
congratulations on your progress, from what I have seen and heard you have and are doing good things.
FYI, the Formulary is avialable to you for processing of Credit Card deposits/charges shipping, invoicing, etc., so you don't have or need to create some extra overhead if you don't want or need to.
As you know I don't have an opinion on what format the end result should be in but please let me say committing to 1000 copies @$50.00 = $50,000.00.
I would think that you might want that to be in the bank in the form of deposits prior to that commitment.
Formulary is willing to help however we can to help you accomplish getting this done.
Thanxs
Bud

Photo Engineer
11-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Bud;

Thank you very much.

I have gotten that type of price information from several firms and this $20,000 - $50,000 cost is quite daunting. I am looking at several lower cost lower quality options just to be able to afford getting it out there.

PE

Athiril
11-23-2010, 06:05 PM
That'd make my head spin! I'd run straight to on-demand printing.

Either way, looking forward to the finished work! :)

Photo Engineer
12-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Draft #6 is now in the hands of 5 people who are good friends and no strangers to emulsion making. I hope to have it back in my hands in 1 - 2 months, then fix the errors and move on to production.

In the mean time, I am having a prototype Kodak style supermixer being made that may solve some problems mentioned in this book. If it is complete in time, it may be included in an appendix.

PE

Formulary/Bud Wilson
12-02-2010, 01:09 PM
prototype Kodak style Supermixer?

Ray Rogers
12-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Some old washing machines used to have a special basket for delicates that rode on top of the shaft, the basket providing a milder agitation for what ever was put inside. Turn this upside down & reverse the concept.

dwross
12-04-2010, 07:52 AM
prototype Kodak style Supermixer?

A book teaser, maybe? :D

Photo Engineer
12-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Denise;

Not a teaser. I don't have one yet and may not. I don't want to hold the book up for it.

PE

Photo Engineer
12-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Some of my "friends" have asked me if there might be a Volume 2 of the book. Well, this depends on the sales of the current work in progress.

However, here are some ideas for a hypothetical Volume 2.

1. Use of the super mixer.
2. Making a color film and/or paper using dye bleach
3. Making a Pan Masking film for Dye Transfer
4. Making t-grains and cubes (implicit in VI but not specifically described)
5. Advanced chemical sensitization (S + Au - described but not used in VI)
6. Advanced chemical addenda for keeping, LIK and Reciprocity

And, you can add to this list of hypothetical items if you wish. If it is in VI, please don't add it here below. The TOC of VI is posted here to help out in this.

I am also considering a book that describes how to design developers and fixers, but this is off in the future. Remember that the current book has taken me 5 years to finish, when I had only planned on 2 or less, and the cost has been enormous in both personal strain and financially and plans to escalate during printing. So, I may just give up. IDK. Just random thoughts perhaps on a Saturday afternoon in Dec.

PE