PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas Cookie from Santa

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Ray Rogers
12-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Some old washing machines used to have a special basket for delicates that rode on top of the shaft, the basket providing a milder agitation for what ever was put inside. Turn this upside down & reverse the concept.

dwross
12-04-2010, 08:52 AM
prototype Kodak style Supermixer?

A book teaser, maybe? :D

Photo Engineer
12-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Denise;

Not a teaser. I don't have one yet and may not. I don't want to hold the book up for it.

PE

Photo Engineer
12-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Some of my "friends" have asked me if there might be a Volume 2 of the book. Well, this depends on the sales of the current work in progress.

However, here are some ideas for a hypothetical Volume 2.

1. Use of the super mixer.
2. Making a color film and/or paper using dye bleach
3. Making a Pan Masking film for Dye Transfer
4. Making t-grains and cubes (implicit in VI but not specifically described)
5. Advanced chemical sensitization (S + Au - described but not used in VI)
6. Advanced chemical addenda for keeping, LIK and Reciprocity

And, you can add to this list of hypothetical items if you wish. If it is in VI, please don't add it here below. The TOC of VI is posted here to help out in this.

I am also considering a book that describes how to design developers and fixers, but this is off in the future. Remember that the current book has taken me 5 years to finish, when I had only planned on 2 or less, and the cost has been enormous in both personal strain and financially and plans to escalate during printing. So, I may just give up. IDK. Just random thoughts perhaps on a Saturday afternoon in Dec.

PE

wildbillbugman
12-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Ron,
I can think of two suggestions off the top of my little head:
1) Sensitization/visible wavelength blocking, for deep IR film.
2) Testing and adjusting for "balanced" ortho and pan emulsions.
Bill

Sirius Glass
12-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Another suggestion: How to make Kodachrome in my grandma's septic tank without chaining PE to the barn door :)

Steve

Photo Engineer
12-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Ron,
I can think of two suggestions off the top of my little head:
1) Sensitization/visible wavelength blocking, for deep IR film.
2) Testing and adjusting for "balanced" ortho and pan emulsions.
Bill

Bill;

I cannot get IR dyes to date, and when or if I do, you will not need any blocking and so can use green or yellow safelight.

PE

wildbillbugman
12-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Good AM Ron,
Out of curiosity, are the IR sensitizers used in Kodak High Speed IR film "Top Secret"? Are they made exclusively for or by Kodak ? Or is it a matter of toxicity?

Photo Engineer
12-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Bill;

I'm not sure of the answer to any of your questions. I believe that both Sands and Honeywell make IR dyes. I do know that some of them were custom made and ran nearly $100,000 per batch of 1 kg. I also know that the IR dyes do not keep well. Therefore, a low volume product is not very cost effective if the dyes spoil and the product spoils.

Any of these dyes which contain Selenium are extremely toxic. They should be avoided for home use. All sensitizing dyes have some level of toxicity, with accumulation in the liver. The exception, which is low in toxicity (almost nil) and is used as a food dye is Erythrosine. That is why I use it.

PE

wildbillbugman
12-05-2010, 06:01 PM
PE,
Given the fact that selenium compounds are very toxic, it is surprising that anyone can still buy KODAK High Speed Selenium Toner. I have not used it since the Clinton administration. But just confirmed that it is still available.
Bill

Photo Engineer
12-05-2010, 06:14 PM
It may be the concentration or the actual chemical structure. Sensitizing dyes (cyanines, merocyanines, etc...) are not that benign to start with.

PE

wildbillbugman
12-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Steve,
If you have a living Grandmother, you must be some kinda Wunderkind.
Bill

wildbillbugman
12-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Hello PE,
There is now another motivation for a V2. I have read several reports that KODAK has discontinued T-max 100 and 400 in 8x10 . There biggest film size is now 4x5. Who woulda tawt?! That company just went to Hell after you left it.
Bill

rmazzullo
12-11-2010, 08:05 AM
So, here is a question..... How important is color to you all? Is it worth up to 4x in price no matter what the price is?

PE

(Although I came in late.....)

YES. And I would pay double that in a heartbeat.

Kirk Keyes
12-11-2010, 12:31 PM
PE - is it possible to have the color on plates and then have them all collected together at one place in the book, and then do the rest of the book in B&W? remember how they used to do that in the old days? (I.e. before I was born!)

If most of the color is the IR stuff in green, then we could all probably live with that in monochrome since it is already monochrome.

Or, do it all in B&W, and then make the color plates available as pdf downloads if people want to see a particular page in color.

Photo Engineer
12-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Kirk;

I'm considering all possibilities.

Thanks.

PE

Photo Engineer
01-10-2011, 09:12 PM
I have one edited copy back and 3 "reviews". So far, my fellow engineers seem to think it is good enough to publish. :)

I have a lot of corrections to make but progress is going on. One section was left out completely and one section was short changed.

In addition, I got a Kodak style generation 1 super mixer today. If things go well, I will add a paragraph on it as well. There is a section on mixing, so this will fit in well.

I will have the book and the DVDs at the GEH workshop next week. I will also have some new material with me for the members of the class.

PE

Kirk Keyes
01-10-2011, 10:46 PM
That's great. Keep the progress going!

Photo Engineer
01-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks Kirk.

For the information of all, the device is called a PEPA, which stands for Planar Emulsion Precipitation Apparatus. ;) In the plant it morphed into the Multi Bank Spreader. It is basically a shrouded turbine or a device not unlike a jet engine.

There were at least 2 or 3 variations as it evolved from the initial concept by Herb Wilgus.

PE

Kirk Keyes
01-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Can you post a quick photo?