PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas Cookie from Santa

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

wildbillbugman
12-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Ron,
I can think of two suggestions off the top of my little head:
1) Sensitization/visible wavelength blocking, for deep IR film.
2) Testing and adjusting for "balanced" ortho and pan emulsions.
Bill

Photo Engineer
12-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Ron,
I can think of two suggestions off the top of my little head:
1) Sensitization/visible wavelength blocking, for deep IR film.
2) Testing and adjusting for "balanced" ortho and pan emulsions.
Bill

Bill;

I cannot get IR dyes to date, and when or if I do, you will not need any blocking and so can use green or yellow safelight.

PE

wildbillbugman
12-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Good AM Ron,
Out of curiosity, are the IR sensitizers used in Kodak High Speed IR film "Top Secret"? Are they made exclusively for or by Kodak ? Or is it a matter of toxicity?

Photo Engineer
12-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Bill;

I'm not sure of the answer to any of your questions. I believe that both Sands and Honeywell make IR dyes. I do know that some of them were custom made and ran nearly $100,000 per batch of 1 kg. I also know that the IR dyes do not keep well. Therefore, a low volume product is not very cost effective if the dyes spoil and the product spoils.

Any of these dyes which contain Selenium are extremely toxic. They should be avoided for home use. All sensitizing dyes have some level of toxicity, with accumulation in the liver. The exception, which is low in toxicity (almost nil) and is used as a food dye is Erythrosine. That is why I use it.

PE

wildbillbugman
12-05-2010, 06:01 PM
PE,
Given the fact that selenium compounds are very toxic, it is surprising that anyone can still buy KODAK High Speed Selenium Toner. I have not used it since the Clinton administration. But just confirmed that it is still available.
Bill

Photo Engineer
12-05-2010, 06:14 PM
It may be the concentration or the actual chemical structure. Sensitizing dyes (cyanines, merocyanines, etc...) are not that benign to start with.

PE

wildbillbugman
12-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Steve,
If you have a living Grandmother, you must be some kinda Wunderkind.
Bill

wildbillbugman
12-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Hello PE,
There is now another motivation for a V2. I have read several reports that KODAK has discontinued T-max 100 and 400 in 8x10 . There biggest film size is now 4x5. Who woulda tawt?! That company just went to Hell after you left it.
Bill

rmazzullo
12-11-2010, 08:05 AM
So, here is a question..... How important is color to you all? Is it worth up to 4x in price no matter what the price is?

PE

(Although I came in late.....)

YES. And I would pay double that in a heartbeat.

Kirk Keyes
12-11-2010, 12:31 PM
PE - is it possible to have the color on plates and then have them all collected together at one place in the book, and then do the rest of the book in B&W? remember how they used to do that in the old days? (I.e. before I was born!)

If most of the color is the IR stuff in green, then we could all probably live with that in monochrome since it is already monochrome.

Or, do it all in B&W, and then make the color plates available as pdf downloads if people want to see a particular page in color.

Photo Engineer
12-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Kirk;

I'm considering all possibilities.

Thanks.

PE

Photo Engineer
01-10-2011, 09:12 PM
I have one edited copy back and 3 "reviews". So far, my fellow engineers seem to think it is good enough to publish. :)

I have a lot of corrections to make but progress is going on. One section was left out completely and one section was short changed.

In addition, I got a Kodak style generation 1 super mixer today. If things go well, I will add a paragraph on it as well. There is a section on mixing, so this will fit in well.

I will have the book and the DVDs at the GEH workshop next week. I will also have some new material with me for the members of the class.

PE

Kirk Keyes
01-10-2011, 10:46 PM
That's great. Keep the progress going!

Photo Engineer
01-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks Kirk.

For the information of all, the device is called a PEPA, which stands for Planar Emulsion Precipitation Apparatus. ;) In the plant it morphed into the Multi Bank Spreader. It is basically a shrouded turbine or a device not unlike a jet engine.

There were at least 2 or 3 variations as it evolved from the initial concept by Herb Wilgus.

PE

Kirk Keyes
01-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Can you post a quick photo?

Photo Engineer
01-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Kirk;

I will as soon as I have time. I am getting ready for the GEH workshop on the 17th and that is taking most of my time this week. I am also getting ready for the "editorial review board" ;) on the book. I already have one book back with comments! So, you will have to wait a bit.

PE

Flickerwicker
03-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Hello PE, I was just wondering where I can purchase your book when it comes out?

It is my birthday soon, and your book will be the perfect birthday present. To be honest, I am very excited.

Photo Engineer
03-04-2011, 05:56 PM
I got the book(s) back from 5 fellow engineers 2 weeks ago with their comments. They did an excellent job with the edit. I am correlating the changes and expanding 3 sections based on comments from them. As yet, IDK where to get it published. I may go the inexpensive route with B&W images and hand drawn graphs and charts or go the luxury route and opt for color and reworked art to get fine graphs and charts. The difference in price might be as much as $100 / copy. I have asked this question elsewhere, and the results are divided.

The book was delayed for a year, as I explained earlier due to a serious family injury. That is now passed and I am moving forward.

PE

Flickerwicker
03-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Money is not really a object with me, I'm mean, I don't put a price on knowledge, and those who want to learn off the people who have put the effort into educating people, should not care for the price. Whichever route you take, I know I am buying your book. I read the index, and all the things I want to know are there, so WELL DONE!

It was also great to hear you got fellow engineers to review the book, and edit it.

Please keep me informed about the progress of the publication.

Thank you.

Phill

c.d.ewen
03-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Ron:

This long-awaited major opus will sit on the shelf with Baker, Wall and the rest. Don't skimp.

Let the cheap SOB's buy the paperback next year.

Charley