PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas Cookie from Santa

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Photo Engineer
01-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Kirk;

I will as soon as I have time. I am getting ready for the GEH workshop on the 17th and that is taking most of my time this week. I am also getting ready for the "editorial review board" ;) on the book. I already have one book back with comments! So, you will have to wait a bit.

PE

Flickerwicker
03-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Hello PE, I was just wondering where I can purchase your book when it comes out?

It is my birthday soon, and your book will be the perfect birthday present. To be honest, I am very excited.

Photo Engineer
03-04-2011, 05:56 PM
I got the book(s) back from 5 fellow engineers 2 weeks ago with their comments. They did an excellent job with the edit. I am correlating the changes and expanding 3 sections based on comments from them. As yet, IDK where to get it published. I may go the inexpensive route with B&W images and hand drawn graphs and charts or go the luxury route and opt for color and reworked art to get fine graphs and charts. The difference in price might be as much as $100 / copy. I have asked this question elsewhere, and the results are divided.

The book was delayed for a year, as I explained earlier due to a serious family injury. That is now passed and I am moving forward.

PE

Flickerwicker
03-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Money is not really a object with me, I'm mean, I don't put a price on knowledge, and those who want to learn off the people who have put the effort into educating people, should not care for the price. Whichever route you take, I know I am buying your book. I read the index, and all the things I want to know are there, so WELL DONE!

It was also great to hear you got fellow engineers to review the book, and edit it.

Please keep me informed about the progress of the publication.

Thank you.

Phill

c.d.ewen
03-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Ron:

This long-awaited major opus will sit on the shelf with Baker, Wall and the rest. Don't skimp.

Let the cheap SOB's buy the paperback next year.

Charley

JOSarff
03-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Ron:

Having seen the draft in January, here's my opinion FWIW.

Use high quality graphs and charts, thats the data. Use color where it's needed. Make it something people will read, study and enjoy as I will.

Joe

Photo Engineer
03-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks Joe. Maybe I'll have 2 versions. ;) Economy and 1st class. Just like airlines. But no search beforehand!

PE

Mustafa Umut Sarac
03-05-2011, 05:28 PM
This is the best decision but will be the economy class , istanbul to delhi with arabian airlines or istanbul to los angeles with british airways ?

JOSarff
03-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Mustafa:

How about the old Orient Express from Istalbul to Paris?

Joe

Mustafa Umut Sarac
03-05-2011, 05:46 PM
I prefer boxcar boxcar boxcar travel.

Sirius Glass
03-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks Joe. Maybe I'll have 2 versions. ;) Economy and 1st class. Just like airlines. But no search beforehand!

PE

If I agreed to get groped, would I get the 1st class version for the Economy version cost? :confused:

Steve

Photo Engineer
03-05-2011, 07:27 PM
If I agreed to get groped, would I get the 1st class version for the Economy version cost? :confused:

Steve

OMG. I think I might refuse to sell you a copy !!!!! :p

Sirius Glass
03-05-2011, 08:19 PM
OMG. I think I might refuse to sell you a copy !!!!! :p

Refuse sending a copy to the Quite Ghastly Quarrelsome Gnome :whistling:, but please send one to me sans grope! :laugh:

Steve

Athiril
03-07-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm excited! :)

Photo Engineer
03-08-2011, 10:50 PM
I'm beginning to regret both this thread and the title. You know, writing a book is not all it is cracked up to be, nor is it very easy. In any event, a lot of people are saying "where is it". Well, there are several dozen people out there who have seen draft VII of the book and have held it in their hands or read portions of it.

In any event, after review by 5 of my peers there are several major enhancements that they feel should be added and are under consideration for being added. These added items is via private communication and is over and above the editing they did on what already exists.

1. More on sensitometry and densitometry.

2. Maybe something on system design and optimization < make comments guys and gals!

3. Stirring, Mixing and Homogenizing

4. Chloro-Bromides < I ignore these and feel that they are too hard for starters

6. More detail in some sections regarding the chemistry of the stuff I do describe

Well, you see the point. I have scoped this out and it will add another 50 or so pages. I do agree that it will make a better book especially #1 and #2.

As an added item, having just taught another workshop, I feel that a rewrite of the formulas would help in clarity as some students had trouble with the format. I have changed it several times over the last 5 years of workshops and the latest was closest to the book. I don't like it and the students asked more questions.

Just tacking this on to the thread FYI.

PE

c.d.ewen
03-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Ron:

Save some stuff for the Revised Edition. No matter what else you put into the first edition, people will clamor for extras that you can't think of now.

I used to tell the kids that turning their paper in was more important than having it perfect.

Charley

hrst
03-09-2011, 04:13 AM
IMHO,

1. Don't use your time explaining sensitometry and densitometry. It's the material found in any basic book.
2. Sounds interesting.
3. Sounds very good.
4. Skip that if you feel that it's too hard. General principles like 2) and 3) are always more important than specific topics, which are infinite in number.
6. Details on chemistry sound good. Many sources omit details which make them very tedious to reproduce.

So I'd say, use your time for 2, 3 and 6.

And then, seriously consider that BW/color/printing quality thing. No matter what people say in this thread, it will be a fact that a $100 price increase WILL lower the sales considerably, and WILL increase the threshold to start emulsion making with your book. I'm sure you are not doing a children's picture book here, but a product that will enable as many as possible to find the joys of emulsion making, and give some high-quality, real information thereof. Also, it will probably be kind of scientific book. So, use color as extra only if it is possible without making a huge sacrifice.

All the best, keep your emulsions stirring!

Photo Engineer
03-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks all, and keep the comments coming. I am listening.

PE

rmazzullo
03-09-2011, 08:27 PM
I want it all, especially if it provides a larger knowledge base from which we can either design or recreate emulsions as needed. I am also more than willing to pay the extra cost for a larger book, or a set (a vol. 1 and vol. 2 , perhaps?)

Bob M.

Kirk Keyes
03-10-2011, 01:43 AM
#1 - Definitely skip densitometery and sensitometry - tell people to buy a copy of Todd and Zakia's "Photographic sensitometry: the study of tone reproduction" for a thorough, in-depth book on the subject.

#2 - Good.

#3 - Doubleplusgood.

#4 - Some coverage should be made, but perhaps save an indepth coverage of it for Vol #2.

#6 (or is that really #5 ;^)) - You know I love chemistry so I can't say no to that. But don't make it too indepth that it detreacts from the subject at hand - making emulsions.