PDA

View Full Version : Chloro-Bromide emulsions

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Ray Rogers
03-15-2011, 03:58 AM
Well then, could you say a few words here about modelling?

How has it impacted emulsion engineering,
What products we might know were designed or impacted by it,
and
what did Kodak get out of it?

What could one actually do with the graphical interface?

Photo Engineer
03-15-2011, 06:21 PM
The graphical interface was the Windows menu bar and pull down items such as load, save, etc..... So that is self explanatory I hope.

The model allowed the emulsion engineer to have a CAD / CAM type program at his disposal to figure out mole % of halides and other addenda, to predict crystal habit and to warn about scaling problems. That is what Kodak gained.

In addition, the program linked to the database of chemical addenda so that an emulsion maker could select ingredients that were optimum for his / her emulsion.

It made emulsion engineering quicker, better and less expensive!

All products since about 1988 used some form of the model.

There, I hope I answered all of the questions Ray.

PE

Ray Rogers
03-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Pretty much, thanks.

How were results presented?
Say if you added a shot of Rh...
Did it show results in crystal images, a verbal description, or a simulated characteristic curve?

Do you have any samples of what a print out from the program looked like?

wildbillbugman
03-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Well then, could you say a few words here about modelling?

Well Ray,
I realy think it's a field for younger, more buffed people than we Emulsion Nerds.
I cannot speak for any one else, but I would look DISCUSTING in a string bikini and heels.
Bill:p

Hexavalent
03-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Well Ray,
I realy think it's a field for younger, more buffed people than we Emulsion Nerds.
I cannot speak for any one else, but I would look DISCUSTING in a string bikini and heels.

That was the first post I read this morning - my day is now scarred :blink:

Ray Rogers
03-16-2011, 10:09 AM
I would look DISCUSTING in a string bikini and heels.

I never thought about that.
I guess you are correct.
Mathematicall Modelling is all about numbers... you know... 36-24-36 !

holmburgers
03-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Hahaha.....

Photo Engineer
03-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Pretty much, thanks.

How were results presented?
Say if you added a shot of Rh...
Did it show results in crystal images, a verbal description, or a simulated characteristic curve?

Do you have any samples of what a print out from the program looked like?

Ray;

The presentation of results were in terms of solutions used, methods of preparation, a spreadsheet of the formula and individual tabbed segments of each individual operation. The printout included a "snapshot" of the emulsion formula in terms of "suitability" for scaling, overall operational suitability and it filled in the blanks of unknowns in any calculations (solving equations as it went). It also presented a graph of what the run-time data should look like so that the maker could compare with the actual process data.

It did not give them data on the amount and time to add any addenda as that was the designers job which varied too much from formula to formula.

It did include any post run time data that the user uploaded with the formula.

Basically, it warned the maker or gave an outright error if they violated some standard "rules" of emulsion making.

PE