PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 16 Sign Up

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

rst
01-01-2009, 04:45 AM
Happy new year to everyone,

January - so it is time to start sign up for round 16 of the postcard exchange.

Thanks to everyone who participated actively in round 15. For me, even if I got not as many cards back as I sent out, it has been a great round with many very nice postcards in my mailbox.

Here is the schedule for this round:

January: sign up
February, March: print and send
April: breather if you are not late ;)

Please sign up by sending a PM to me with your name, address (including the country - this is an international exchange) and the number of cards you are able to send or say maximum for the maximum possible number of cards.

Members of the last few rounds can just sign up with the number of cards in this thread since I still have the addresses from the last rounds. As in the last rounds I will post lists of participants in this thread every once in a while. If you signed in (or if you think so) please come back to this thread and check if your name is on the list. If the name should be on the list but is not, then let me know.

Not all participants of the last round have been able to send out the cards. If you have not fulfilled your last rounds commitment, send your cards before you sign in for this round. Just be fair.

I am looking forward to this round.

ciao
-- Rüdiger

PS: (copied from the last sign up thread) For those new to the exchange, here is how it all works out: When sign up is over, I will prepare address lists which I will PM to the participants. You will have to send a card to every address on that list and you should receive back a card from everyone on that list. So if you sign up for e.g. 20 cards you will have to send 20 cards and you should receive 20 cards back.

OMU
01-01-2009, 06:04 AM
Happy new year to all of you!

I'm relative new to APUG and have looked forward to the next postcard round.
I sign up for 10 cards for my first round.

- OM

kraker
01-01-2009, 07:44 AM
Ruediger,

please sign me up for "the usual" (that's 30 cards). Same address.

sly
01-01-2009, 09:31 AM
OMU - take warning - these exchanges are addicitive!

To the max again please.

rwyoung
01-01-2009, 10:02 AM
In for 25 this time. Same address.

Thank you Rüdiger for the work you do in running these exhanges.

Mark Fisher
01-01-2009, 10:20 AM
In again for the max....

johnnywalker
01-01-2009, 11:28 AM
In again for 30.
Sly is right. I wonder if I could get a patch.

KWhitmore
01-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Count me in again for 30 please.

wrench
01-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Just a quick question, do folks who send out postcards send the same image to everyone or do they switch things up and send out different photos to everyone on their list? Either way, I'd like to participate, it sounds like a lot a fun and a good excuse to spend more time in the darkroom. I'll send a PM once I decide how many cards I can reasonably make depending on whether or not they are going to be all the same or all different images.

gordrob
01-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Ruediger,

I am in again for 30 cards - address is the same.
Looking forward to another great round

Gord

sly
01-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Just a quick question, do folks who send out postcards send the same image to everyone or do they switch things up and send out different photos to everyone on their list? Either way, I'd like to participate, it sounds like a lot a fun and a good excuse to spend more time in the darkroom. I'll send a PM once I decide how many cards I can reasonably make depending on whether or not they are going to be all the same or all different images.

Wrench - Most people seem to make multiple copies of one image. Some choose a few images, so not everyone gets the same one. One person in this last exchange sent photograms, and they were all unique. It's up to you.

Adrian D
01-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi Ruediger,

Can you count me in for 20 this time please? Looking forward to another great round.

Thank you for all your work,

All the best,
Adrian

Adrian D
01-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Apologies Rudiger, I realise I've just spelt your name wrong...

Cheers
Adrian

Black Dog
01-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Sign me up for the max-same address.Happy new year to you all!

rst
01-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Apologies Rudiger, I realise I've just spelt your name wrong...

Cheers
AdrianNo Adrian, if spelled without German umlauts, then Ruediger is just OK. The correct spelling would be Rüdiger, but everyone without a German keyboard layout would have a hard time typing it. But Rudiger is also OK for me. I think the English pronunciation of Rudiger better matches the German pronunciation of Rüdiger.

So here is the list of the first 17 participants:

Adrian D (20)
Black Dog (MAX)
crispinuk (50)
gordrob (30)
hal9000 (25)
johnnywalker (30)
jst (15)
kraker (30)
KWhitmore (30)
Mark Fisher (MAX)
OMU (10)
Peter Markowski (30)
rossawilson1 (24)
rst (MAX)
rwyoung (25)
sly (MAX)
wazza (MAX)

Cheers
Ruediger

Mark Fisher
01-01-2009, 07:58 PM
I'd be interested in hearing how people go about doing prints for the exchange. I suspect that many of us have a routine set up that makes it easier.

Here's two things that I do:
I choose the negative that takes a minimum of dodging and burning (I try to limit to one easy burn). If you do that, then making 40 doesn't take much more time than 10.
I switched to 5x7 paper. It doesn't cost much more than postcard paper (probably less if you use Arista or Kentmere paper) and I can use a fixed sized easel. Also, it costs the same to send it overseas from the US as a standard post card.

I'd really like to find out a good way to print the labels. I have not yet managed to import the list to a standard label format! I'd like to handwrite it, but the post office could never read my handwriting!

ozphoto
01-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi Ruediger,
I'm up for 45 this time, same address.

Looking forward to another excellent round!

Nanette

MattKing
01-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Mark (and others too, if you find this useful):

I recently found a proofing easel on eB**, which makes it easy to put four 4x5 prints on one 8x10 sheet, so for my the last two exchanges I've sent out 4x5 cards.

Prior to using the proofing easel, I was printing two 5x7s on one 8x10 sheet. I use a four blade easel, so I needed to tape masks in the appropriate places on the easel for this to work.

I like the larger cards, and the postage (in Canada) is the same, so I might go back to them.

I try to use a negative that I don't have to split grade.

For the labels, I use the mail merge functions in my word processing software (WordPerfect). I use that function for lots of different things, so it isn't that difficult for me to use the search and replace functions in that software to re-format the comma delimited list into a data file suitable for the merge.

The first attachment is the form file I used for the last exchange. I used it to print three small labels (Avery 5160) for each card.

The second attachment is the data file I used with just one example address shown - that of our fearless leader, Sean (whose mailing address has been posted publically in these threads).

The attachments have been pdf'd - if you don't use WordPerfect they may not be in the same in format as you would use. In addition, I've modified the data file slightly to make it more visible (by taking out the page breaks).

Hope this helps.

Matt

P.S. I try to add at least a handwritten signature, if not a short handwritten note as well.

Samad Asad
01-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Hi everyone!
After the long hiatus and subsequent backlog clearance, I'm back for the postcard exchange.

Please sign me up for 50 cards. Thanks.

Samad

Jon King
01-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Rüdiger,

In for the max, again. My New Year's resolution for postcards is to actually type into APUG the wonderful thoughts I've had each time I've received one in the mail.

Jonathan